.258 wolves fleeing for unknown reasons

octavian

Guest mcopeman

I'll check this out but it sounds like its by design. Every time you encounter a wolf they have a chance of fleeing from you even in Voyageur and Stalker.

Melody~

Since .256 I've got several instances of wolves fleeing when they would otherwise get aggravated.

It seems as if the latest release has chanced the mechanics of wolf fights (again) I was able to kill two wolves in a row with only a crowbar. They don't seem to know when to stop fighting now so you can kill them in one battle. Used to be you had to find the carcass (which was about 10% or less). Tracking them rarely was successful.

The previous release (257) you could fight them and then find them again and they will usually flee because they are in bad condition. Chase them and you can get them to fight and then kill them. But if you run into a second healthy wolf, you can be in big trouble.

Another thing I've noticed is that it ~seems~ as if fighting from a slight hill gives you the upper hand in wolf fights.

It seems like they might be tuning the wolf interactions (?) so fewer mortalities from wolves however the lack of food after about 3-5 days will eventually force you to desperate measures for food and you can no longer freely roam the map because weather, cold, wind and wear and tear on clothing punish you. I've made it to 10 day using extreme measures and gambling a lot but eventually died by running right into my last ditch fire! Harsh!

The kind of weather is like deep winter so in one respect it's realistic however the wear and tear on clothing is a little bit too high right now it seems. Curtains seem to have disappeared from the Lake Cabins which means a shortage of repair cloth leaving only a few precious spare clothes & a spare bedroll to harvest. HARSH.

Wolves will decide whether to attack or run once they enter stalking mode. If they had been attacked by you before, the chance to flee increases.

The wolf skin coat has always increased the chance wolves will run from you.

wolf struggles shouldn't be lasting until they die, unless they already had low HP. The wolf struggle lasts until either you win by filling the bar. Or after X time of struggle where you come out with a bunch of injuries and the wolf walks away.

I'll leave you guys to figure out what X time in the struggle is :P

also. This thread is about Wolves running away and not struggles. So if you guys feel something is off with it, make a new thread please as the wolf fleeing issue as originally posted has been resolved as it is by design.

SteveP please try to avoid clumping together various issues into another post. If you have multiple issues please make separate threads for them all.

thanks

Jeremy

Archived