Make burnt out campfires disappear after a while

Hotzn

1 minute ago, vancopower said:

This is the best idea I've read so far about campfires. However 10 kg Charcoal seems unrealistic, because then charcoal would be easiest thing to get, all you need is a stick and a tinder and magnifying glass and you can start 10 maybe 20 fires and get 100-200 kg charcoal. The better way would be different types of burn out fires: for example if you put just a few sticks the burnt out fire should be small and it should give nothing. On the other hand if you put 15 fir firewood then you'll get your medium burnt out fire and 10 kg of charcoal which is equivalent to 1 coal ore.

that was .10  1/10th of a kilogram.  Charcoal, (not the kind you buy for a barbeque, but real charcoal,)  from a campfire, is surprisingly light. 1 tenth of a kilogram, or about a quarter of a pound, of  usable material, would be about average from a couple sticks of firewood.

2 minutes ago, TROY said:

that was .10  1/10th of a kilogram.  Charcoal, (not the kind you buy for a barbeque, but real charcoal,)  from a campfire, is surprisingly light. 1 tenth of a kilogram, or about a quarter of a pound, of  usable material, would be about average from a couple sticks of firewood.

Yea I missed the tiny dot it is 4 am in here. But still 1 stick for charcoal it will be an exploit unless that little amount could not be used for anything until you gather more.

12 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Yea I missed the tiny dot it is 4 am in here. But still 1 stick for charcoal it will be an exploit unless that little amount could not be used for anything until you gather more.

I'm not suggesting we get that amount per stick, I'm just saying it should be an average per campfire. As far as exploits go, it depends on what its useful for. Some of the suggestions I've seen are good ones. A remedy for food poisoning, a water filter, and to draw/write with for starters. Although, treating food poisoning AND filtering water both require "activated" charcoal, and I am not familiar with the difference, and for game purposes, it probably shouldnt matter.  Anyway, if those are all its used for, what matter if the character has 6 tons of it? Food Poisoning is infrequent (if you're careful and smart) and water filtration would be just a nifty thing, an alternative to boiling, but certainly not a big enough deal to ever be considered an exploit. 

12 minutes ago, TROY said:

I'm not suggesting we get that amount per stick, I'm just saying it should be an average per campfire. As far as exploits go, it depends on what its useful for. Some of the suggestions I've seen are good ones. A remedy for food poisoning, a water filter, and to draw/write with for starters. Although, treating food poisoning AND filtering water both require "activated" charcoal, and I am not familiar with the difference, and for game purposes, it probably shouldnt matter.  Anyway, if those are all its used for, what matter if the character has 6 tons of it? Food Poisoning is infrequent (if you're careful and smart) and water filtration would be just a nifty thing, an alternative to boiling, but certainly not a big enough deal to ever be considered an exploit. 

Actually this is the best way to use charcoal and remove the boiling method altogether or lock it. Yea I think that you are on to something. why do we have to melt the water then boil it? and how does the survivor do this without a pot. I think boiling water should be locked out until the survivor finds some kind of pot. and the way to purify water should be through the charcoal. Good idea I hope that Hinterland reads this it would improve the game so much :) good work Troy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 4:39 PM, TROY said:

This is dead on. I think it should be a system that allows the player to choose if the remains of the campfire stay or not. A burned out campfire should offer the character two options. "leave no trace" and "reuse". Leaving no trace would tidy it up, and nothing would remain except .10 kg of charcoal in the characters inventory. Reuse would allow the fire to be rekindled, with a +10 bonus, IF it was protected from weather. I.e. in a cave.  And +50 to whoever first suggested allowing us to throw burned out brands in a fire. I currently "gift" them to corpses, along with my ruined sewing kits and whet stones and flares.

+1

I was thinking of posting something like this, and may still just so there is a specific topic for it. I believe the Fire Master badge might be impossible to get in one play through because creating 950+ camp fires would cause the game to crash.

• 2 months later...
On 17.8.2015 at 0:32 AM, sir ice said:
1 hour ago, nicko said:

One example is I hate it how you cant light a camp fire easily over another camp fire.

campFire001.thumb.jpg.f8eaf9437f7c239bf4

naaaaah, i like things that don't despawn.

I hope that Devs see this picture and realize that permanent campfires spoil the ambiance of the game, that same thing goes for brands too.

21 hours ago, vancopower said:

I hope that Devs see this picture and realize that permanent campfires spoil the ambiance of the game, that same thing goes for brands too.

me too, i'M sure the are looking into find a nice alternative, cause as you see with another screeie below I have multi fire pits. I would like to harvest them some how. Maybe a dev from Hinterland can tell us if they working on an alternative/fix?

fires002.thumb.jpg.54ce402291eae5706514f

9 minutes ago, nicko said:

me too, i'M sure the are looking into find a nice alternative, cause as you see with another screeie below I have multi fire pits. I would like to harvest them some how. Maybe a dev from Hinterland can tell us if they working on an alternative/fix?

fires002.thumb.jpg.54ce402291eae5706514f

@nicko I hope you realise that you are staying in a bear spawn cave? Might be in for a bit of a surprise when you come back form hunting one afternoon.

30 minutes ago, EternityTide said:

@nicko I hope you realise that you are staying in a bear spawn cave? Might be in for a bit of a surprise when you come back form hunting one afternoon.

no suprise this time thanks for the tip. Pilgrim play I just shoot him in the ass :)P

bearplugg003.jpg

On 2016. 10. 14. at 5:27 PM, vancopower said:

Personally I'm STILL strongly against despawning campfires, BUT as I said several times in other threads about this as well what we need is to REUSE old campfires. This combined with the suggested "clean up and harvest materials from burnt out fires" system or "burnt out fires only leave a pile of ashes" would be just perfect for me. :)

4 hours ago, Gaboris said:

Personally I'm STILL strongly against despawning campfires, BUT as I said several times in other threads about this as well what we need is to REUSE old campfires. This combined with the suggested "clean up and harvest materials from burnt out fires" system or "burnt out fires only leave a pile of ashes" would be just perfect for me. :)

This inspired me for this idea.

No despawning campfires but, in order to start another one in it's place first you have to clear the ashes either by using dirty water and cloth or by hands which can be related to hygiene bar if it gets added into the game, and then you have to clean yourself. As your hygiene bar drops you are at risk of developing infection. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see campfires disappear over time too. Ashes are far less permanent than bones, which disappear all the time. And I especially like the idea of being able to re-use the materials left over. Right now if you are in a wind sheltered area like the deck on Jackrabbit Island, you soon run out of spaces where you can start a new fire. And when you build one right on top of another, it seems to recognize the burnt out fire before the burning one. Which is especially frustrating given that you have to leave the fire menu to actually eat something that you cooked. 

And there is one very specific situation that causes me frustration where I think you should be able to reuse your fires. When you throw a couple logs on the fire, then the wind changes, and your fire dies, you lose your wood. Realistically, if the wind blew the fire out, the wood didn't burn. You should be able to pick that up and try to burn it again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I cannot agree more with the thrust of this topic.  I have various hunting and trapping areas I like to frequent on a cyclic basis.  Currently, the trapping areas are littered with burnt out campfire remains.  Add to this the migration bug (where trapped rabbits will tend to move in a southerly direction after killed) and it became an issue with the carcasses ending up inside of a stack of campfire remains.  Quite frustrating.

I think a mechanism for destroying them manually, or just let them degrade, would be a great thing.

Burnt-out-trapping.png

Archived