Make burnt out campfires disappear after a while

Hotzn

This may have been suggested before, but looking back a bit in this subforum, I didn't see it.

It may just be me, but I have a feeling of untidiness when leaving burnt out campfires around the maps. I would feel better if they disappeared after a while, especially when it has been snowing heavily. Harvested animal carcasses disappear without a trace after a short period of time, but these dirty campfire remains can't be cleaned up or remedied in any way. Light a campfire once, have a dirty spot in the wonderful white landscape forever. :(

I am aware that the burnt out campfire may be connected to some game mechanic that could be introduced with NPCs. But if not, I would make this wish that the charred remains disappear one day.

This may have been suggested before, but looking back a bit in this subforum, I didn't see it.

It may just be me, but I have a feeling of untidiness when leaving burnt out campfires around the maps. I would feel better if they disappeared after a while, especially when it has been snowing heavily. Harvested animal carcasses disappear without a trace after a short period of time, but these dirty campfire remains can't be cleaned up or remedied in any way. Light a campfire once, have a dirty spot in the wonderful white landscape forever. :(

I am aware that the burnt out campfire may be connected to some game mechanic that could be introduced with NPCs. But if not, I would make this wish that the charred remains disappear one day.

Here here! They should disintegrate to coal (maybe useful for something) and then ash and the gone with the wind. (unless you wan to use the ash to my lye water and combine that with animal fat to make soap). I kid. no permanent camp fire remains!

It's been mentioned a few time already but I'll add my +1 again and hope it gets picked up.

Burned out fires could also be a useful thing, like using the charcoal with some other items to craft a water filter. Or as a medicine against diarrhea or food poisoning. And the ashes could be used as part of a hygiene system.

The burned out fires could then disappear once harvested or after some time, like how animal corpses work now.

+1 or... or... let me harvest a campfire for charcoal and then the campfire "disappears".

We could then use the charcoal for a few things:

* Help alleviate food poisoning if ingested

* Become a component in a water filter (we then need pebbles, sand, cloth and crafting a container/re-purpose a container)

* Used for marking (trails, walls inside a building, putting an X on a door, etc)

* Used to lessen the chance of developing snow blindness (if that if ever added to the game)

+1 to the OP.

At the moment, my strategy is to preserve my tools by maintaining a supply of several hundred sticks and using fires to thaw deer carcasses (killed by a wolf that I then scare away with a torch taken from a magnifying glass-made campfire) and then harvest it by hand. I find that this strategy is very effective and, with torches now a renewable resource, I think I could last indefinitely using this method (although eventually my clothes will degrade).

Honestly, the biggest disincentive to the above strategy is that the map inevitably becomes cluttered with campfires. I can understand that seeing where a campfire was previously used is sort of cool since oftentimes each campfire has a story behind it, but after a while it just becomes too much.

Here's hoping that the next major update addresses this!

Or make them just re - usable ? I mean in real life it's very common to use the same place multiples times outside, isn't it ?

You can place your next fire right on top of the old fire, so this is already possible. I do this around my base to keep the amount of separate campfires to a minimum. You do have to click very carefully though, as it's easy to hit the old campfires instead of the new one.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bump this thread to acknowledge and thank Hinterland for implementing a mechanic to clean up burnt out campfires. From what I can tell, campfires temporarily leave the remains behind as before for a short time, but they now will disappear from sleeping, or maybe even just entering a building.

Prior to the latest version, I actually had gotten so I avoided using outdoor fires because I just couldn't stand the cluttered look the landscape eventually took as a result.

Anyway, it's a small change but I really like it and it makes me feel a lot more free to use fires as a survival tool (e.g. thawing carcasses, warding off wolves, or just keeping warm in a blizzard). Mostly everyone probably has noticed this change by now, but since it wasn't noted in Hinterland's "Desolation Point" video or the change log, I just wanted to acknowledge it here.

Thanks again, Hinterland! :)

• 2 weeks later...
+1 or... or... let me harvest a campfire for charcoal and then the campfire "disappears".

We could then use the charcoal for a few things:

* Help alleviate food poisoning if ingested

* Become a component in a water filter (we then need pebbles, sand, cloth and crafting a container/re-purpose a container)

* Used for marking (trails, walls inside a building, putting an X on a door, etc)

* Used to lessen the chance of developing snow blindness (if that if ever added to the game)

+1 to alllllll this

• 8 months later...

seems i need to necro this thread, since my searches here have yielded nothing current about the topic.

bought the game just after the release of the DP update. campfires disappeared then. now they dont. bugs the hell out of me. same with brands, why cant i toss a burnt out brand into a fire (even if it means it adds no extra burn time on the fire?). i just want to get rid of the damn thing and not have it cluttering up my cabin. if there's a more current thread addressing this, and someone can point me in the direction of it, i'd be appreciative, as my searches for 'permanent campfires', 'disapearing campfires', etc, yielded this thread

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I'd rather have the option to REIGNITE a fire rather than have it disappear. I like TLD's permanent nature. Even if I left a place weeks or months ago it's still the same like how I left it.(Okay maybe there could actually be natural changes like snow pile up, animals vandalizing stuff or things like that, but right now we're talking about campfires.)

On 8/12/2015 at 7:03 PM, Hotzn said:

I hope they don't do this until ( if / when ) they let us have trail markers.  Right now this is how I don't get lost... :D

Either autoremove burned out campfires after a while. Or ability to collect charcoal from burned out campfires that also removes them after player is done, similar to corpse harvesting. Or ability to reignite them with small bonus.

Current system allows those campfires to just remain there indefinitely and they are completely useless, not to mention looking just weird. Even tho logical would be that they are either "salvagable" or disappear after a while, like after blizzards.

10 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Either autoremove burned out campfires after a while. Or ability to collect charcoal from burned out campfires that also removes them after player is done, similar to corpse harvesting. Or ability to reignite them with small bonus.

Current system allows those campfires to just remain there indefinitely and they are completely useless, not to mention looking just weird. Even tho logical would be that they are either "salvagable" or disappear after a while, like after blizzards.

This is dead on. I think it should be a system that allows the player to choose if the remains of the campfire stay or not. A burned out campfire should offer the character two options. "leave no trace" and "reuse". Leaving no trace would tidy it up, and nothing would remain except .10 kg of charcoal in the characters inventory. Reuse would allow the fire to be rekindled, with a +10 bonus, IF it was protected from weather. I.e. in a cave.  And +50 to whoever first suggested allowing us to throw burned out brands in a fire. I currently "gift" them to corpses, along with my ruined sewing kits and whet stones and flares.

2 hours ago, TROY said:

This is dead on. I think it should be a system that allows the player to choose if the remains of the campfire stay or not. A burned out campfire should offer the character two options. "leave no trace" and "reuse". Leaving no trace would tidy it up, and nothing would remain except .10 kg of charcoal in the characters inventory. Reuse would allow the fire to be rekindled, with a +10 bonus, IF it was protected from weather. I.e. in a cave.  And +50 to whoever first suggested allowing us to throw burned out brands in a fire. I currently "gift" them to corpses, along with my ruined sewing kits and whet stones and flares.

This is the best idea I've read so far about campfires. However 10 kg Charcoal seems unrealistic, because then charcoal would be easiest thing to get, all you need is a stick and a tinder and magnifying glass and you can start 10 maybe 20 fires and get 100-200 kg charcoal. The better way would be different types of burn out fires: for example if you put just a few sticks the burnt out fire should be small and it should give nothing. On the other hand if you put 15 fir firewood then you'll get your medium burnt out fire and 10 kg of charcoal which is equivalent to 1 coal ore.

Archived