Extreme GPU heat when alt tab'd

Loppysaurusrex

Guest mcopeman
But when I alt tab, I can see the temperature rise into the 70's!

This is insane, I don't want to melt my gpu when I'm alt tab'd

That's very strange... Are you running other programs? Streaming software for example? I'll look into this. It sounds like the opposite of what I would expect.

Melody~

I did a bit of scrounging on this and it sounds like it's a common issue not just with this graphics card but with various other cards, and not just Nvidia either. A lot of what I read didn't lead me to an answer as to why this happens though.

As the game is still in Alpha though there are always optimizations coming with each major update, hopefully future updates will help stem this raise in gpu temperature while alt tabbed (Still find that super weird that it goes up in temp with the game minimized...)

70 degrees is actually not a bad temperature for a GPU, it's obviously hotter than it should be, but it's not dangerous. You need to get worried once it reaches the 90's. the 80's are sketch and not ideal but again, not the end of the card if it sits there for a few hours. Most modern cards are built to resist more heat these days to so higher temps aren't as big an issue as they use to be.

But cooler is always better so I'll see if I can find a solution as to why this happens, if not maybe next update will optimize the game a bit more and fix the issue.

Jeremy

I did a bit of scrounging on this and it sounds like it's a common issue not just with this graphics card but with various other cards, and not just Nvidia either. A lot of what I read didn't lead me to an answer as to why this happens though.

Jeremy

I have a 980 and it ramps up when I alt tab now that I have updated to Windows 10. It did not do this in 8.1. It seems to continue rendering the game as if it were in the foreground. When I tab back into it, for about 2 seconds the Steam overlay will report ~280 FPS and then drop back down to my V-sync capped 60.

I was thinking a Windows 10 and Unity 5 issue, but Witcher 3 does the same thing. So now I'm thinking it's how Win 10 handles background apps. Not sure what OS the OP has though.

• 8 months later...

I'd hate to necro this thread, but this issue is still present.

I'm have an AMD R9 280X that hovers around 75C ('tis normal because you know... AMD) when running the game. Temps shoot up to 98C at 100% GPU usage when the game is minimized. Welp! If it wasn't for my screaming fans I wouldn't have noticed my GPU slowly melting away.

Archived