Being Encumbered

Flik_Tripz

I know the effects of being encumbered, but I want to hear from some people: is carrying more than your limit allows worth it? I feel like it is because you can have many more thing in your backpack at once. Yeah it slows you down and doesn't allow you to sprint, but I feel that the benefits outweigh the risk. And as far as I know, the maximum your limit drops down to is 30lbs (unsure about kg). What are your guys' opinions on this?

Sometimes you have to carry it all, regardless of the slowdown. Maybe you're moving camp and you dont want to make 5 trips. In reality, you wouldn't put all of it on your back.

Whats tough about encumbered movement is that in snow (not to mention ice) it is incredibly easy to rig a superbasic sled that would allow you to drag lots of weight behind you with ease. Should you be able to carry 200 lbs on your back while you trudge through the snow? No. Would you be able to manage that on a sled? Absolutely.

I have a bad case of hoarding, be it Bethesda game or TLD.. I find in almost every game I play that has a collection mechanic, I am constantly walking slowly because I refuse to put any of my stuff down. Carry too much over the limit and you lose your ability to sprint, and your fatigue goes up super fast. Walking seems super slow to me and the weather doesn't permit stopping to sleep every 100 feet or so.. My solution is to pick the best of everything and keep it to about 35kg if I can. I can still sprint. Wish walking was faster. And yes, the sled would be nice.

We had this in a survey before the community manager shut down community run surveys, meanwhile, the devs implemented tons of other community suggestions from the forums, harvestable pillows/bedrolls, torches, bow n arrow, harvestable wood in the game, so maybe it's time to bring back those community surveys?

What exactly are you carrying? I'm betting it's too much...

My basic kit:

8.5kg clothing

1.0kg first aid

1.0kg fire starter

1.0kg food

1.5kg water

4.0-8.0kg tools (depending on mission)

Food and water get consumed before returning to camp leaving me 15kg of cargo before ever worrying about encumbered. Don't be a nomad; leave some things in camp.

Fighting wolves is soooo much easier without fatigue. And there's the fast running and extra stamina. Traveling light is awesome. Carry what you must; cache what you can.

My loadout depending on the mission. By in large though unless I am hauling loot from points unknown back to camp, I try to stay under weight. There is no reason why, in most cases, you can't have a cache to store goods in between. For instance, in ML I use the base camp as my base and the dam as an outpost. I have both of them outfitted with food, but Carter has an extra bit supplies and pelts let to cure (from kills heading to the dam from base camp or heading back from PV).

Archived