Venison caloric values

ADF

This is my 2nd attempt at this post. The last attempt was full of praise for the game and a bit of history/personal experience as a guy who has lived just south of the Arctic Circle for the last 34+ years.

Suffice it to say, curiosity at the amount of venison consumed in the game in order to survive drove me to look up real world venison caloric values.

Depending upon the website you wish to use, values ranged from 129 calories per 4 ozs. to 162 calories per 4 ozs. What this translates to is that the 2.2 lb slabs of venison found in the game that are listed at 800 calories are actually quite undervalued. Again depending upon the website you wish to use, that 2.2 lbs of venison should be giving anywhere from 1100-1380 calories.

I realize the game is meant to be a challenge, and depending on play level it certainly is. Personally I played the hardest level for a few days until I couldn't get past about 7 days of survival... usually succumbing to death-by-wolf, especially that danged Fluffy!

I've also thought it might be good to add a few other foodstuffs to the game. Things such as pancake mix, flour, baking soda, sugar... you know, the kind of things someone could make pancakes or fry bread with. The whole idea being to enlarge the diet with. Along those lines, adding a few wood cook stoves would offer some variety for cooking as well. We still have one in real life at our cottage, as do many cottagers who aren't reliant upon electricity for their heating and cooking needs.

On that note, seeing as you guys have already added refrigerators and microwaves to the game, perhaps you can add some outdoor freezers as well. It's not unheard of for those who live in the far north to have freezers outdoors. They simply don't plug them in during the winter months and let nature do the work for them. In the game the idea could be adopted as well. Have some freezers in a few locations with some goodies inside such as Ice Cream or frozen veggies.

One final comment, this one about the weather. We have a saying here where I live that goes: "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes, it's bound to change." I have a feeling you guys have taken that saying a little to literally. How about a little less dramatic changes to the weather? Yep, it's a game, I get it. But a nice day in the Arctic can actually be a nice day, or even many nice days in a row, without weather that keeps you locked indoors. And on the flip side, lousy (e.g. - incredibly cold) weather can settle in for weeks on end and make you want to do nothing but hide or hibernate. While neither of those two extremes need to make it into the game, a bit of steadiness to the weather instead of almost hourly changes would be awesome!

Thanks for listening and thanks for the very fun game!

+1 to this. I like immersive feels in games(played Skyrim in winter with the windows open) so small features like what north civilization is actually like would go a long way to that. I know it's a game but having the geographic accuracies down would do more I feel for immersion.

Depending upon the website you wish to use, values ranged from 129 calories per 4 ozs. to 162 calories per 4 ozs. What this translates to is that the 2.2 lb slabs of venison found in the game that are listed at 800 calories are actually quite undervalued. Again depending upon the website you wish to use, that 2.2 lbs of venison should be giving anywhere from 1100-1380 calories.

The reason for this is the game balance. You are forced to search for food more often, because in reality, you can live from dear a lot longer than few days.

One final comment, this one about the weather. We have a saying here where I live that goes: "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes, it's bound to change." I have a feeling you guys have taken that saying a little to literally. How about a little less dramatic changes to the weather? Yep, it's a game, I get it. But a nice day in the Arctic can actually be a nice day, or even many nice days in a row, without weather that keeps you locked indoors. And on the flip side, lousy (e.g. - incredibly cold) weather can settle in for weeks on end and make you want to do nothing but hide or hibernate. While neither of those two extremes need to make it into the game, a bit of steadiness to the weather instead of almost hourly changes would be awesome!

Even in the game can be nice sunny day or day full of blizzards, but mostly there are changes in the weather to apply more preassure on a player. There is difference in the ammount of bad weather between game modes. Stalker weather is much harsher then Pilgrim one.

Archived