Ability to throw sticks into fire in bunches & not only 1by1

thinair

14 hours ago, tnbp said:

I found this topic wondering about how the people who have long, long, long games going manage to not run out of wood to cook with.  Eventually, every axe in the game would go dull and become ruined.  I was theorizing that they must be collecting and using tons and tons of sticks.

Thats pretty much how it works. On its own, one stick is nothing, but considering their abundance and that they are one of few respawnable resources, including small branches, that can be broken without tools, its possible to live, and live well, solely off sticks as fire material.

Even without using any other wood as firewood, by day 100 i usually have a supply of 500+ sticks scattered across all areas(and i keep on collecting more than i use). As long as you dont waste wood(and most importantly, matches) by making pointless campfires and bonefires that last for hours without any particular point, living only off sticks is fairly easy.

14 hours ago, cekivi said:

True @tnbp but part of that is in real life you can pick up and burn anything versus the rather limited options available in a game.

It would be an interesting option to be able to drag bigger branches/logs to nearest campfire and then just put it on top of it, let it burn thru, put now 2 branches on top of it, and so on. Technically it should be possible to have long fires with large logs without using any tools. Not likely to happen tho.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Thats pretty much how it works. On its own, one stick is nothing, but considering their abundance and that they are one of few respawnable resources, including small branches, that can be broken without tools, its possible to live, and live well, solely off sticks as fire material.

Even without using any other wood as firewood, by day 100 i usually have a supply of 500+ sticks scattered across all areas(and i keep on collecting more than i use). As long as you dont waste wood(and most importantly, matches) by making pointless campfires and bonefires that last for hours without any particular point, living only off sticks is fairly easy.

I really only used to use sticks to get the fire going and then would use logs after that.  I kind of stopped collecting sticks.  But in starting to think about logs as being a limited resource (again, due to hatchets actually being the limited resource), I suppose I should start to get work collecting sticks again.  I sometimes spend a day or two just chopping wood and building up my woodpile but maybe I'll start doing stick collecting runs, instead.

I'm living out of Trapper's Homestead.  Do you store the sticks in a container in your home space?  Or do you just have hundreds of them laying on your floor somewhere?  I have a big pile of firewood next to the stove that doesn't offend me, at all, visually, but I feel like a mountain of sticks might not look quite as homey. :-P

3 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

It would be an interesting option to be able to drag bigger branches/logs to nearest campfire and then just put it on top of it, let it burn thru, put now 2 branches on top of it, and so on. Technically it should be possible to have long fires with large logs without using any tools. Not likely to happen tho.

Which is unfortunate because even with an axe burning a log from one end is an easy way to keep a fire going if you don't want to spend the energy splitting wood.

4 hours ago, tnbp said:

I really only used to use sticks to get the fire going and then would use logs after that.  I kind of stopped collecting sticks.  But in starting to think about logs as being a limited resource (again, due to hatchets actually being the limited resource), I suppose I should start to get work collecting sticks again.  I sometimes spend a day or two just chopping wood and building up my woodpile but maybe I'll start doing stick collecting runs, instead.

I'm living out of Trapper's Homestead.  Do you store the sticks in a container in your home space?  Or do you just have hundreds of them laying on your floor somewhere?  I have a big pile of firewood next to the stove that doesn't offend me, at all, visually, but I feel like a mountain of sticks might not look quite as homey. :-P

Sticks work as well as logs. But they are not as "comfortable" as logs, that offsets ease of collecting and storage. You dont have to use any tools to collect them, but it takes more time to manage them. So id say its a fair tradeoff, considering that hatchet has plenty of uses anyway to waste it on firewood(like chopping frozen corpses for meat). But i do like to have a small supply of logs regardless, just in case. I just dont specifically farm them, nor sticks. Mainly i travel around and collect sticks that i come across while passing by. Or break branches when i have a few hours of daylight left with nothing to do.

In ML i normally set my HQ at Camp Office that has 2 spawn spots for sticks right next to the house. And normally i have small amount stored, for fast access and rest i just drop next to stove, so that i can take as many as i need fast. Keeping count is hard this way, but thats why i keep a small supply stored away in some remote container. And i mostly spread them around, so that if i go on a long hikes i dont have to take additional weight with me, so i collect as much as i can along the way and rest i get from those stockpiles. And since sticks are infinite(and dont spoil), then its a good idea to keep supply of them everywhere, just in case.

And i dont have time to feel homey, im constantly doing something or preparing for doing something. Scouting/foraging at day, crafting/repairing/sorting/cooking at evening, visiting nightclubs at night. I wont be sitting at home in the middle of the day making a coat(even if i need it), unless its a blizzard and i would freeze in minutes or get lost in fog.

Archived