Ability to throw sticks into fire in bunches & not only 1by1

thinair

It takes for ever to throw in let say 50 sticks into the fire... so ability to throw in 10, 20, 50 should be added, or added scroll option as its for let say dropping water. This should not bet hard at all for devs to do and must be implemented in the next next small update, or definitely next big update in a month or so.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of making a similar request, especially regarding the sticks .

I have a huge pile of sticks, would be nice when you went to pick them up if the game would ask how many you wanted to pick up, as it does when you go to drop them.

How about a craftable item "fire bundle" composed of many sticks and bound together with another item (gut maybe?). Burns as long as the individual sticks and starts fire easier than Cedar, but not as easily as a book.

+1

Or make it so you can craft it out of any combination of starter/tinder/fuel/accelerant you want.

So basically you could add two matches two tinder, one stick one fir, you would craft that, and have it ready to go. The game would use fuels in the order you would, if starting it fails it automatically tries again if there's starter/tinder remaining, which you get back, if any left, after you start the fire.

how about find some hardwood! it's not like you need to live on sticks. which no doubt you are trying lol.

The great thing about sticks is they require no real effort to gather. They do not consume resources, extra time, extra calories, extra exposure and/or wearing down the hatchet.

I think the solution would be a container. Let me take 20 sticks to construct a "basket" of sorts at the crafting table. It would take 3 hours to build (no tool required) with the ability to hold say 11 lbs of material. We could then place the basket somewhere and it becomes a perma fixture. We could then toss whatever into the basket (like sticks, cat tails, whatever), which would give us the container ability to pick up multiples.

It would also give us the ability to finally make a container. There isn't an ability to move a container yet, so if the player wanted it gone they would have to tear it apart (like we do chairs, tables, etc). You could destroy it in 10 minutes and get your 20 sticks back.

I think the solution would be a container. There isn't an ability to move a container yet, so if the player wanted it gone they would have to tear it apart

A moveable container like a sledge :!: On ice a sledge would move really well. Going down hill, you could ride it and perhaps steer :?: but any down incline would be easy but going uphill nigh impossible if loaded up.

Let's say you fashioned some steel or hardwood runners which you carry to the top of a hill and then on the hill itself (no work bench necessary) you assemble a sledge from sticks, branches and so forth. Use a rock as a brake until ready to head downhill.

[offtopic]you know one of these days, some smart character is going to figure out how to feed and befriend wolves and then turn them into pack animals or sled dogs!

You could get a pet wolf to hang out with you; keep it at bay with a torch, take it deer hunting; scare it off the deer and then share the bounty! All it would take is a change in the wolf AI!!!! Who knows, maybe it already works?[/offtopic]

I never stored any type of wood in containers, but with sticks it must be, because picking up 50-100 from the floor is pain in the behind :)

And it is really good fire source.... a stroll around area you live, for about 3-4 game hours, can give you ~50 sticks, which is close to 6 hours of burning :) I barely play the game since i'm waiting for a new map for probably 5 months now, but played recent update a bit and already have 200+ sticks in the closet. In PV i just make a loop from farmstead (mailbox area- and area around cave not to far from mailbox and the car near the bridge). Has both... fir and cedar and plenty of sticks.

I never stored any type of wood in containers, but with sticks it must be, because picking up 50-100 from the floor is pain in the behind :)

And it is really good fire source.... a stroll around area you live, for about 3-4 game hours, can give you ~50 sticks, which is close to 6 hours of burning :) I barely play the game since i'm waiting for a new map for probably 5 months now, but played recent update a bit and already have 200+ sticks in the closet. In PV i just make a loop from farmstead

I would bundle wood only if moving lots of it; it's more of a convenience to bundle it than a necessity for the survival whereas being able to create and move large caches of wood is vital to lake fishing strategy. For other purposes, I agree, if all you need is a quick fire to warm up or cook food or ward off predator, the wood requirements are much lower. The storm tuning and damage to clothing is inhibiting movement and making it hard to stay in a fishing hut for long. It's tough right now.

PV is not a lake map, it's a river & forest map so wood is much more abundant. I've been using pallets but even that is difficult to obtain and move enough fuel.

• 10 months later...
  • Hinterland

We'll see. We have some changes to how we handle firestarting and fires in general in mind, so we'll probably make those changes first and then see if it still makes sense to look into stick management options.

It's possible sticks are too abundant now, which explains why people would rather hoover the world for them and carry them around vs. grabbing sticks to start the fire and then using the hatchet to harvest more from Branches and bigger pieces of Softwood or Hardwood from Limbs.

I'm use a autoclick program for my mouse to handle my tons of sticks. (100 sticks per second hehe) So i like the bundle idea. The basket was also a good idea, but i can't see the reason to make a storage basket. There are MANNY (normaly) move able containers in the world! I want boxes and small chests move and drop able!

+1

Archived