[Freezing Body Parts]

Oywin

1. Freezing body parts

It does not really matter if you don't wear gloves or a scarf or a hat or boots as long as your other clothes are warm enough to get you on the plus-side on the temperature. The clothes are really just a stat-boost to your overall warmth. This should change so that each different clothing only warms the body-part its covering.

Freezing body-parts could also make first-aid more useful more often. Right now I just keep stacking up more and more first aid stuff than I am capable of carrying around, especially painkillers. The few stuff that actually makes you need first-aid is easily avoidable once you know the game.

How it could work...

Make an overview in the UI which shows how much exposure your different body parts are getting from the cold, depending on the quality of what you're wearing, and if you're wearing anything at all. That way, the nice Wolfskin Coat can no longer save your ears, hands or throat if they're exposed.

Having these body-parts damaged by freezing could then for a time cripple the player in different ways depending on the affected body-part and in return make first aid more necessary.

For example:

• Exposed head/ears: really bad ear-ache that lasts for a while, even after warming up. Hearing could be muffled somehow. Maybe you'd get a slight ringing in the ears. Taking painkillers could dull the pain.
  • Exposed hands: unable to craft and unable or at least a lot worse at starting fires for a while because of numb, shaking hands. Aiming would be difficult. Perhaps painkillers could somehow help out here as well.
  • Exposed feet/legs: slower walking/running speed. Painkillers!
  • Exposed throat: catch a cold! Increases fatigue and makes your nose runny and annoying. Keep warm for a good period to cure.
    ...and so on.

The in-game character could also comment on how he's freezing on different body parts and the state of his clothes.

2. More wet clothes more often... (nevermind this)

Anyway, what do people think of these suggestions? :)

Well... no, fine, maybe not while it's cold. But they do when you get inside and warm up.

Then again, while I'd still like to see the clothes getting wet like that, maybe that would en up being too much to worry about in-game for most people. I think I'll edit my post a bit. ^^

But what do you think of the freezing on different body parts?

I think your overcomplicating things.

Further more, if we go with realism on the extremities getting frostbite, then i'd want to be able to wear several items of clothing on my bodyparts, layered on top of each other.

There's no reason to think why you couldn't wear heavy wool socks over your cotton socks, or mittens over your basic cloves, or even socks on your hands!

Archived