Wolf Attack - TAP A BUTTON?? Seriously?!!!!

Lamoi

That said, I politely disagree with a random combat result with wolves. Hand to hand with a bear, you lose, fair enough but with a wolf - a fit man or woman has a fighting chance against just one I think the current interactive system is better than none. See my idea above but I like some other ones here as well. Personally I'm hoping Hinterland will do something amazing that none of us has thought of, they are after all rather good at this. No, that's disrespectful - they're unbelievably awesome at this!!

I actually agree ;-) Some kind of system would be cool. I wouldn't like random results either. The old system with the combined RMB and LMB effort was fine by me. I must admit though, it took quite some deaths to figure out what was going on :-) Everything else you do in this game is so much different from bashing mouse buttons. I like the way you swing your torch. Or how you throw a flare. Perhaps if we actually saw our weapon when fighting?

But it's a tough one making a mini-game, in a game so brilliantly simple as this game.

Cheers :-)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not just that wolf fights are reduced to spamming the left mouse button, it's that nowadays the outcome seems to be completely random.

I can relate to that. It feels random. I however am doing quite well in wolf fights. Perhaps due to playing on a laptop using an extern mouse, but also bashing the build-in mousepad LMB simultaneously when fighting wolves?

Stop being so needy. Game is going well, if this is the worst part they will fix it.

Stop being so gullible. This is already the improved version, if they don't think it's broken they won't fix it.

You need to relax bro. Im on record saying it sucks, back in August, and it still sucks on the ass end of September. They are working a new system I have a sense of these things.

I may be gullible but not because it is being ignored by Hinterland because it is not. Wolves have evolved on more than a half dozen occasions and continue to be the premiere villain in the game and feedback regarding them or the systems to dispatch them is being monitored. Look at the banner on the top of the website bro. I think it might be a bit short sighted to be critical of the devs or think that they aren't working on a better system given the weight the wolf has for the game. Such systems don't develop overnight or spontaneously and it isn't like they arent busy making other thing work.

Stop being so needy. Game is going well, if this is the worst part they will fix it.

Stop being so gullible. This is already the improved version, if they don't think it's broken they won't fix it.

You need to relax bro. Im on record saying it sucks, back in August, and it still sucks on the ass end of September. They are working a new system I have a sense of these things.

I may be gullible but not because it is being ignored by Hinterland because it is not. Wolves have evolved on more than a half dozen occasions and continue to be the premiere villain in the game and feedback regarding them or the systems to dispatch them is being monitored. Look at the banner on the top of the website bro. I think it might be a bit short sighted to be critical of the devs or think that they aren't working on a better system given the weight the wolf has for the game. Such systems don't develop overnight or spontaneously and it isn't like they arent busy making other thing work.

Maybe while reading my post(s) you're picturing someone yelling and raging around, but I can assure you that's not the case.

I'm just sitting here, my breathing and pulse is normal and I am not agitated before, while or after writing.

I actually take great care to find arguments supporting my claims and conclusions; to include and present them in my posts, so that other people can understand and agree, disagree or attack them; to quote statements from these forums, instead of using my own words; to not attack people for what they are, but for what they do.

I hope you can see how I tried to replicate your response to me as closely as possible ("Stop being so A. B is C, if D they will E.")

There's literally very little in it besides accusation (That someone is not A) and a claim (They will E, if D) that has no arguments for it. That is usually not how I reply but I wanted to see how you react to such a statement.

I can't say that I'm surprised. Your response just was another accusation ("I need to relax", which must mean that I am not relaxed now) and more claims without any base other than "I have a sense of these things."

That is of course your privilege and I won't take any offense, but for me this an opinion and not some conclusion or fact we can and should argue about.

That said, I politely disagree with a random combat result with wolves. Hand to hand with a bear, you lose, fair enough but with a wolf - a fit man or woman has a fighting chance against just one I think the current interactive system is better than none. See my idea above but I like some other ones here as well. Personally I'm hoping Hinterland will do something amazing that none of us has thought of, they are after all rather good at this. No, that's disrespectful - they're unbelievably awesome at this!!

I actually agree ;-) Some kind of system would be cool. I wouldn't like random results either. The old system with the combined RMB and LMB effort was fine by me. I must admit though, it took quite some deaths to figure out what was going on :-) Everything else you do in this game is so much different from bashing mouse buttons. I like the way you swing your torch. Or how you throw a flare. Perhaps if we actually saw our weapon when fighting?

But it's a tough one making a mini-game, in a game so brilliantly simple as this game.

Cheers :-)

Nice one, I forgot about torches and flares - not that much skill but it still has to be learned. I'm still lousy with timing the torch because I rarely think to use them. And I did prefer the old system - a little bit of skill and if you timed it just right you had an ex-wolf at your feet instead of miles away, selfishly hiding his resource laden carcass from the TKO winner.

I think someone posted earlier on seeing your weapon, LMB to stab RMB to slash, something like that. I like that a new player could just hammer LMB as now and still survive but after a while realise more finesse = better result. You'd still need to time it right but it would be more visceral and less mini-gamey - hmm, food for thought...

i dont mind the simple but struggling way of hammering LMB, if your not a trained fighter i doubt you would actually be able to maneuver a knife into the neck or in between the ribs of the wolf rather then just panic hitting its nose and stabbing what ever comes near the knife, trying to prevent the wolf from locking its jaw onto your limbs...

so the feeling of struggle and panic is there, although i agree its not perfect.

what really bothers me is that im running out of antiseptic and old mans beard soon because my clothing, which i try to keep at 80-100% at all times, barely protects me from the wolf bites.

especially the leather pants and boots and the wolfskin coat should offer you a lot of protection if they are in good condition.

i have gotten away without a bite from 2 of about 10 wolf attacks this life and then i was not wearing a full set of leather/pelt clothes yet.

i have read about people fighting wolfes naked, how is that even an option, they should take a lot of severe damage and should always end up with a infection risk wolf bite!

the possibility to choose a set weapon for the fights which have different attributes would be a good option, i have to agree on that.

i think clothing should act as armor which is more reliable when in good condition, leather/pelt clothes should have a higher armor rating, a high armor rating should lower the damage of lacerations and bites, a better condition should lower the chance of infectious bites and if the condition drops below a certain percentage that piece of clothing should lose all its protective attributes.

in the end survival is all about being tactical, the wolf attack might be a sort of "quick time event" which is very different from the rest of the game but avoiding to get into a wolf fight should be priority!

I don't think we will get a lot of people writing just to admire the current system; they are satisfied with it and that's enough. It is easier than the two button approach, which I like.

This seems to be a case where a vocal group of "gamers" want TLD to evolve into a more arcade-like game experience where eye-hand coordination is important. I hate those sort of games because I am not good at them. I don't feel the need to master a complex sequence of button pushes, ever. For me, this game is about thinking; strategy first and foremost. If anything, add more strategy to wolf battles.

I like the creative parts of the game; I think we could have more aspects devoted to things like decorated clothing, beads, wolf and bear claws and teeth, sinews and a ton more things.

I don't know if the wolf aggression, wolf damage, wolf behavior are tuned properly. I got discouraged by the wolf pack attacks. My biggest concern of late was the nasty weather and this has been much rectified recently. A single wolf attack is quite survivable, IF you are good condition. Allow yourself to become fatigued and you will suffer much damage and possibly death.

The only analysis or reason given for opposition to the current LMB wolf battle seems to be that it is "too easy"; this has to be balanced by the need to keep the game simple for certain players. Perhaps the best solution is to make the game more configurable in terms of wolf interaction. IDK. Seems like a lot of fuss over a trivial aspect of the game.

What I meant when saying it would be nice to be able to choose a weapon for the fight, I did not mean to be able to equip it like the rifle or bow, I thought about a "weapon of choice" option on the hatchet, crowbar and knife.

The different attributes would be something like 100 defense and 20 attack on crowbar, 50/50 on hatchet and 20 defense and 100 attack on the knife, while its harder to build up the bar on the hatchet and crowbar your less likely to to get bitten doing so, maybe the wolf would even run off without severe injury and a bloodtrail when using the crowbar most of the times.

I dont really know how the mechanics are on what injuries happen for what reason while fighting, other then the longer the fight takes the more injuries happen, so I cant think into this any deeper...

What I meant when saying it would be nice to be able to choose a weapon for the fight, I did not mean to be able to equip it like the rifle or bow, I thought about a "weapon of choice" option on the hatchet, crowbar and knife.

The different attributes would be something like 100 defense and 20 attack on crowbar, 50/50 on hatchet and 20 defense and 100 attack on the knife, while its harder to build up the bar on the hatchet and crowbar your less likely to to get bitten doing so, maybe the wolf would even run off without severe injury and a bloodtrail when using the crowbar most of the times.

I dont really know how the mechanics are on what injuries happen for what reason while fighting, other then the longer the fight takes the more injuries happen, so I cant think into this any deeper...

If you have a weapon in your inventory when you enter a struggle, the most effective weapon available is automatically equipped. You'll see an indicator on screen that makes note of this, as well as identifying how much extra damage you are doing to the wolf with that weapon. Having a weapon available also greatly increases your chances of reducing struggle time.

If you have a weapon in your inventory when you enter a struggle, the most effective weapon available is automatically equipped. You'll see an indicator on screen that makes note of this, as well as identifying how much extra damage you are doing to the wolf with that weapon. Having a weapon available also greatly increases your chances of reducing struggle time.

Yes, i figured that out.

So damage done with a certain weapon is variable?

Damage done doesnt equal struggle time?

It happened before that I hit a wolf with the bow while running at me and it still attacked me and then I killed him in the struggle, other times he still survives the struggle after being hit with the bow when running at me, I was always using a knife.

The injuries taken in the struggle are totally random too?

I often leave the struggle with wolf bites, even if its a very short struggle, other times it takes me a bit longer and i only leave with bruises.

The clothing i wear doesnt seem to affect this, although its stated in the description of the wolfskin coat that it provides a defense bonus against wolf attacks I seem to get the similar results with "beginner" clothing.

Is there actually a "armor rating" which I can maximize wearing better clothes?

Archived