Small Feedbacks From v.256

McGuffin

First of all: Awesome changes. (PC version)

I absolutely love the "real harvesting" system.

I was always hoping for such a change and you did it, thank you ;)

It feels so much more realistic, and adds a big depth to the game. It's really really good.

Few things:

-Wolves attacks seems to now only put the player in a "defensive" stance. It doesnt seems possible to attack a wolf with a knife to kill it (and eat it) as before.

Also, I didnt feel a real difference between the "unarmed" and "knife" situations.

Maybe being injured cut down the weapon bonus, but, if it's the case, the effect should at least start after the attack.

-Hypothermia seems a bit harsh to cure, specially when it happens at start (which is often the case)

-Selecting wood with the mouse in the fire->add wood menu needs tweaking, clicking on the name doest works sometimes.

Few things:

-Wolves attacks seems to now only put the player in a "defensive" stance. It doesnt seems possible to attack a wolf with a knife to kill it (and eat it) as before.

Also, I didnt feel a real difference between the "unarmed" and "knife" situations.

Maybe being injured cut down the weapon bonus, but, if it's the case, the effect should at least start after the attack.

Not really sure what you mean by this? The combat mechanic has been altered to require only one button, and the damage system has seen many changes, but I'm not following the rest of the statement. If you're attacked, you will automatically equip the most effective weapon in your inventory. You could never just walk right up to a wolf and start attacking it without initiating the combat animation, which is the feedback I'm gathering from this part of your post.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but hope that helps clear up things a bit!

I would guess that part of what McGuffin is getting at is that you're no longer able to kill a wolf by hand, since each attack does the same amount of damage once you engage and the wolf will escape once it reaches a certain threshold. With the old system you could finish the wolf off without it having the chance to run off (and eventually bleed to death).

The wolf has no visible health status. Instead there is only a bar to show your progress in resisting the assault, which turns the player's attention towards getting away instead of actually countering (and killing) the beast.

sorry for my frenchy english ;), I think this doesnt help to make clear statement.

Golden translated my feeling a bit better, I guess.

The thing is: I dont think is possible to kill a wolf without a gun (or bow) now, unless he is already seriously injured. (btw I am playing in Stalker mode)

For the unarmed/armed stance, yes I am aware about the "auto equip" system.

It's just that in my quick testing I ve been attacked by a wolf at start, and I pushed him away without any weapon in my inventory.

Later, I had a knife (75%) in my inventory, but I didnt have the feeling this helped at all, that was even worse. But, maybe other component like freezing, etc have a negative effect on the struggle efficiency, I dont know.

Keeping in mind it's a bit too early to give too much feedback just yet.

The wolf attack system still has problems. It's nice you can get more negative stuff and make medical issues more important. It's still prone to a press and hold trivialization (programmable keyboards, mouse, etc., all have this).

The stagger mechanic where you get up slowly after an attack induces motion sickness (I"m one of those people who notice these things straight away). Given my slow key presses by hand, the wolf is still there and just re-attacks me too. That is, if I get attacked by a wolf I'm going to die. The knife helps, but I haven't tested enough how much I can live with it.

From what I've seen so far, the wolf handfighting system hasn't changed all that much. You still have to click lmb as fast as possible, just the "release strike with rmb" part isn't necessary any more.

Which is most likely easier to understand for new players (probably the greatest flaw of the old system) but at the same time kind of a pitty for experienced players who prefered to kill their wolves "on the spot" by releasing differently charged attacks.^^

Not sure whether these instant handfighting kills are still possible (maybe by chance?), but I can at least confirm that injuring wolves with a knife or hatchet (and having them run off and bleed out) definitely still works like before. ;)

I'll do a bit more testing during the next days for sure.

The actual combat mechanic isn't too-too different -- Just simplified a bit. It's more the damage and inflictions you receive after the struggle. Also, the new opportunity to decrease the struggle time quite a bit will likely give you a much better chance for surviving the attack long-term, as long as you take care of your afflictions.

Archived