The significance of the plastic gallon water jug

wyrdsmyth

Well said.

The old mantra was society's fabric breaks down after three days. This is also the mandate for FEMA to respond and have systems in place to support those without. This assumes you have three days. In the wake of New Orleans (I live in Mobile, AL and know what hurricanes can do) it was seen on national television that society breaks down in hours, not days. Not only do you have to maintain what you have, you have to keep it from those who don't and would take it to better their position. You were very fortunate to have so many people who offered assistance when I know people who were robbed/killed for what little they had.

To quote The Book of Eli, "People had more than they needed, people didn't know what was precious and what wasn't, people threw away things they kill each other for now."

That's an incredible story. Living on the coast of North Carolina for most of my life, I've seen some pretty insane hurricanes, but I can't imagine experiencing anything like what you've been through. What an amazingly strong and brave family. Thank you so much for sharing.

You guys are all so amazingly unique, and I never get tired of learning new things about the people that make this community what it is.

That's an incredible story.

Indeed.

It reminded me of my adventures, particularly getting stuck with seven people in an elevator for nine hours, the kind of event for which I was otherwise always "pointlessly" carrying 3 liters of water at all times in my backpack, and how quickly people get anxious when thirsty.

Archived