July Update.

Fuarian

New Major Update should require Fresh Run if you want real feedback

Then why not just put a disclaimer out and make all save files incompatible with new updates, if it's such a big issue?

I think that's exactly what Bill is advocating.

Sure, I was wondering why not do it from a developer point of view.

Sure, I was wondering why not do it from a developer point of view.

They're trying to be supportive in keeping players happy.

Unfortunately as players it's quite common for many to become like toddlers not wanting to give up their blanket [previous run], so rather than temper tantrums ["then I'm not going to play anymore"] the devs have busted their butts trying to keep everyone happy by letting them continue using their old saves.

However, with crunch time just around the corner [i.e. getting ready for the start of story release], I'm hoping they'll take a firm stance so that they can get the necessary feedback needed (all from players using the same full version) to get the final tweaks and additional functions completed. It may be tricky considering a new group of brand new players just joined in, but since the story release begins in just a few months [not long to get everything done] then I'm hoping more players will understand the need to focus on the end goal rather than just the current game version.

The hard part for the studio is that they really do try to keep as many current players as happy as possible, so I have no idea how long it will be before they can say "we need to do fresh update runs to finish it right"... The studio definitely has the skills and experience - but a lot depends on how mature players can accept the need for the last feedback over the final few major updates before story mode begins.

They're trying to be supportive in keeping players happy.

I had a feeling this was the reason.

Also, looking at .244 alpha it's a bit weird to think TLD is five-ish updates from story mode. I mean, will the game still be called an alpha, or what, will it enter feature freeze and move into beta, it's a bit confusing for me.

Mainly because the release story mode, right? If they don't enter feature freeze and keep adding mechanics, those filter into story mode. So not only they have to balance and test sandbox, they have to balance and test story mode too, which would be absolutely insane. And playing the same episode once a month will presumably be a different experience?

If it does enter feature freeze it means that whatever TLD gets by then is all it will ever get, at least during the winter season :?

It's important to us to try to maintain saves as much as possible because we know how important it is to many of our players. In its current state, the best way to measure overall success in sandbox is by days survived. Though it is a bit counterproductive to have to patch issues with old saves, we do our best because we know how frustrating it would be to lose your progress and be set back to day one once a month -- Especially for our players that don't get to visit the game as frequently, but have put a lot of time and effort into surviving just like the rest of us.

I'm not sure we'll always have this standpoint, but I do know we'll be sure to keep everyone updated if we change our minds. We also appreciate the support in regards to people understanding the challenges we face by doing our best to maintain these saves.

Re: July Update.

Just finish reading this, I to agree that when When new major update are announced, then I'm starting new game. I've been getting to be wolf lunch so often as of late,and restart new so often,it is cool to do. DO wish I knew where and when I would pop up at.I love my weird disability. Learning to work around it and with and learning the TLD is fun,really is for me. I love this game.

I find it a bit odd to "complain" about players continuing their savegames, when the developer not only allow it, but actually try to make it possible.

Arguing that companies could save effort by not trying to keep their customers happy is a bit absurd. For me it sounds like trying to save money by not driving to work any more.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it sure sounds easy to tell your customers to "suck it", I just don't think that's a very healthy approach.

But if so many people are fine with it, just start doing it with the next update.

It's not like the players can do anything about it.

Players:

Consider this: What would you rather have?

1) clean game with fewer bugs and more features but clear warnings when restarting game is necessary

2) long runs with your old loot cache but more insidious crash bugs and other bugs?

The choice to me (as an X- S/W person) is clear.

In technical support, a good strategy is managing your customer's expectations. Hinterland has done a pretty good job of this and also a good job of over delivering on results!

I reset for every major patch. In all honesty, running a longest run during an alpha seems a bit silly. The whole point is to test and provide feedback on new content. This isn't to say I didn't have long runs, but I feel I can test the game features more thoroughly with a reset, and I am sure people would get over it even if they had a reset. Obviously you made it long enough to assume indefinite survival... now you should prove that with a new game and not need the crutch of your stockpile from an old save. The game is harder now. Get with it folks :)

I start a fresh game after every major update because, as EatenbyWolves said, we are in alpha. While I may hate to lose my spot, I want to see the game progress more.

You're also doing yourself a favor if you start anew after every patch. Imo the first few days of a new game are usually most fun to play. I doubt the deep forest changes would have impressed me much if I had been fully dressed and sitting on a stockpile of 1000 firewood at this point. ;)

I hope the animal carcasses end up looking depleted when we harvest them in the next update. Hunting rabbits is fun and challenging because they run away and hide - but I feel really bad about killing them for pelts. ; u ; Cause every time I see the corpse with its little face and its little dead eyeballs I feel sad.

I ...but I feel really bad about killing them for pelts. ; u ; Cause every time I see the corpse with its little face and its little dead eyeballs I feel sad.

The good news: you have empathy. The sad feeling will disappear with hunger when you have finally found food after starving! ;-)

99.9% of people in the US and Canada probably have never seen an animal cut up for food I'll wager. Fish don't count. ;-)

Archived