Fishing Line - should use cloth aswell!!

Lamoi

I don't agree. cloth would be useless as a fishing line. for one how would you process it thinner enough and to be strong enough? If anything the ability to make a fish trap of some sort - like an old cane funnel basket made of sticks would be better, but then you need a stream to put it in :)

You twist the cloth in a "2 ply" fashion. You can make relatively-strong cordage out of literally anything with a fiber in this fashion. You can make the cordage stronger by making it either thicker, or by making the twists tighter.

I've used various barks, vines, cloth, and even grass to make cordage. With a tight enough twist, you could even use it for bowstrings.

I've never understood using "cured intestines" as bindings, anyways. There are other materials on the animal (rawhide lacing, sinews) that would work both better and be easier to work with, and intestines have other, more "efficient" uses in and of themselves.

You twist the cloth in a "2 ply" fashion. You can make relatively-strong cordage out of literally anything with a fiber in this fashion. You can make the cordage stronger by making it either thicker, or by making the twists tighter.

I've used various barks, vines, cloth, and even grass to make cordage. With a tight enough twist, you could even use it for bowstrings.

I've never understood using "cured intestines" as bindings, anyways. There are other materials on the animal (rawhide lacing, sinews) that would work both better and be easier to work with, and intestines have other, more "efficient" uses in and of themselves.

Resident survival expert ! Thank you !

...I've used various barks, vines, cloth, and even grass to make cordage. With a tight enough twist, you could even use it for bowstrings...

Have you ever tried making a fishing line capable to withstanding the strain of a 4kg coho salmon fighting for it's life while you try to reel it in?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think some materials are better suited than others. I think (never done it so I don't know for sure) it will take much more time and more material to create a fishing line out of cloth than out of gut. A cloth fishing line would probably also be much thicker than a gut fishing line (for the same strength) and that would probably have an effect on your chances of catching something.

If in the future it will be possible to build shelters or craft things like snow shoes or a sled/ travois that would require cordage, I agree that there should be more options to use for that cordage. Making cordage from cloth/ leather/ natural fibers would make more sense for such purposes than the current fishing line/ snares, at least to me.

They need to change that so you can make bow string or fishing lines with cloth!

show us how you do it then?

When we see it and someone can actually reproduce it and do it then it becomes a good idea :) if not a dud.

...I've used various barks, vines, cloth, and even grass to make cordage. With a tight enough twist, you could even use it for bowstrings...

Have you ever tried making a fishing line capable to withstanding the strain of a 4kg coho salmon fighting for it's life while you try to reel it in?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think some materials are better suited than others. I think (never done it so I don't know for sure) it will take much more time and more material to create a fishing line out of cloth than out of gut. A cloth fishing line would probably also be much thicker than a gut fishing line (for the same strength) and that would probably have an effect on your chances of catching something.

If in the future it will be possible to build shelters or craft things like snow shoes or a sled/ travois that would require cordage, I agree that there should be more options to use for that cordage. Making cordage from cloth/ leather/ natural fibers would make more sense for such purposes than the current fishing line/ snares, at least to me.

I've made a bowstring from twisted cedar bark that can stand up to 60+lbs of pressure on a single point. That should feasibly hold up to any fish in-game. The Native Americans used basically the same exact method as I am to make fishing lines, harpoon lines, and even fishing nets

And, no, the only limiting factor with the above cordage-making method is how long the fibers are. The only motions you use are two twists, with longer fibers, you can go longer before adding in a new piece. I've cranked out 10 feet of cordage in 30 minutes using paper Said paper cordage held up a full propane canister (the ones you use for outdoor grills) handily. Would I trust a fish on it? No, but I would on a twisted-grass or twisted-bark piece of cordage. I've used twisted-grass cordage to lash together a quick survival-shelter frame, and my personal rule for shelters is that it has to be able to support my weight on top of it

You can make a "2-ply twist" piece of cordage stronger in two ways: either use more material (which makes it thicker), or make the twists tighter. I prefer the second method.

Using intestines ("guts") for cordage takes time as well, and IRL isn't all that effective for certain projects. You have to wash them, slice them, and let them dry, and they have PLENTY of other uses that are just, if not more, "valuable" (waterproof liners for clothing, waterproof containers aka waterbottles, sausage casings, etc). Hell, you could (and I would) use other parts of the animal for cordage, with much better results (faster and more effective): rawhide lacing and sinews.

As for "materials to make the cordage", there would be ZERO issues with finding enough fibers. Bark from trees, grass can be found EVERYWHERE in the game world, cloth from clothing and buildings. I have always been in favor of there being more cloth and other "base materials" in buildings, and opposed to the current "game balance" we have. It is too "arcade-y" to be beneficial.

"Yeah, I know you are staring at some curtains and a blanket that you aren't using, but you can't use them for materials because BALANCE".

Archived