Weapons???

LSL_Legend313

Weapons that might get added are a pistol and maybe a spear or something like that. I don't think there's a big chance for any other fire arm being added though and I'm sure you don't have to expect multiple different rifles and pistols or anything like that. The devs have made it very clear that they want to focus on the survival aspect of the game, not the combat. They won't be adding an arsenal of guns.

Weapons that might get added are a pistol and maybe a spear or something like that. I don't think there's a big chance for any other fire arm being added though and I'm sure you don't have to expect multiple different rifles and pistols or anything like that. The devs have made it very clear that they want to focus on the survival aspect of the game, not the combat. They won't be adding an arsenal of guns.

I personally don't understand the fascination with pistols anyway... I've never once gone hunting or seen my father, brother and grandfather have any form of desire to hunt with a pistol. We use a shotgun for birds and a rifle for deer. My father used to hunt bears with bows, none of us younger folk have the kahoonas to go hunting bears so I can't speak for what kind of firearm would normally be used. Bar firing warning shots or maybe taking a potshot at a charging wolf, I don't see why anyone really wants a pistol. I wouldn't mind seeing a shotgun added if the option to hunt ptarmigan or other game birds ever becomes available but I don't think the game needs an arsenal of weapons like you say Elloco. I don't want to see this game become a "okay we found a .22, let's go find a military grade 50 cal in a bunker".

I personally don't understand the fascination with pistols anyway... I've never once gone hunting or seen my father, brother and grandfather have any form of desire to hunt with a pistol. We use a shotgun for birds and a rifle for deer...

You don't use a pistol for hunting (I know, there are people who do but not many, it could be an emergency option though), you use it for self defense. A .44 magnum would make short work of a wolf if it decides to attack you, although it would probably not help you very much if it is a bear charging you. The noise should have a chance of scaring both wolves and bears off though. And let's not forget that the story mode will introduce NPC's, some of whom will be aggressive/ violent. A pistol/ revolver would be an excellent weapon to have when you encounter those.

Of course you could use the rifle for self defense as well and it may be a be better option too (bigger bullets = more damage). But a pistol would weigh much less so it would be a better option to carry when you go out looting (allows you to carry more loot). I find the rifle too heavy to carry around all the time. I only take it with me when I intend to do some hunting.

So yeah, I would not mind if a high caliber revolver was added. Also a shotgun for hunting game birds would not be a bad idea, but I think it should end there. There is no need for 5 different rifles that shoot different types of bullets and two different shotguns, one for 20 gauge and one for 12 gauge. Or worse; different rifles that shoot the same bullet but with different specs (more accuracy but less damage, that kind of thing).

One rifle, one shotgun and one pistol, each with their own use (hunting medium (to large?) game, hunting birds/ small game and self defense respectively) is really where it needs to stop, if even allowed to get that far. I would not mind if the rifle stays the only firearm in TLD. Like I said, this game is about survival, not about fighting. There is no need to create an arsenal of weapons fit for some FPS or RPG because that's not what this game is about.

This is for you Elloco, my quote abilities are negligible on mobile! I wouldn't complain if they added a high power revolver, because you're right, shotgun and rifle would be unwieldy in self defense, particularly against hostile npcs, or if you could get a well placed shot between a wolf's eyes. I would have a much harder time getting behind a 9mm or abother small caliber that would have very little effect against anything other than a human or smaller wildlife. If they ever impmiment larger hunts like moose or caribou, I cringe to think of a newbie trying to take one down with a tiny little handgun.

This is for you Elloco, my quote abilities are negligible on mobile! I wouldn't complain if they added a high power revolver, because you're right, shotgun and rifle would be unwieldy in self defense, particularly against hostile npcs, or if you could get a well placed shot between a wolf's eyes. I would have a much harder time getting behind a 9mm or abother small caliber that would have very little effect against anything other than a human or smaller wildlife. If they ever impmiment larger hunts like moose or caribou, I cringe to think of a newbie trying to take one down with a tiny little handgun.

Are you kidding me. Maybe I am reading the post wrong. The shotgun is one of the most versatile weapons imaginable. You can use it to hunt with (using slugs or buck shot) which lets you take game in the air or on the ground. Its ability to be used as a man killer is legendary. The weapon is intimating enough just to present. Let alone pull the trigger. Lastly shotgun ammo (buck or slug) is going to much easier to locate than a high power pistol round (.357, .44, .454), especially in the extreme rural area we are presented with. In those tough situations where a predator is inching to close to get a solid bead with a long gun, the shotgun is going to save your skin. If I had a choice between a pistol, rifle and shotgun... I would take the shotgun.

Not to say a high power pistol with a stock and a scope could not be used to take out animals. However, that is a pretty high end rig to find out here in the wilderness. Relying on a pistol to take a wolf or a bear, not if I could help it. You want something that give you a pencils thickness for a kill or something the size of a soda can? Got out a bit and the pistol/rifle still has the small window to hit with where the shotgun (if buckshot) only presents a high threat area.

There is a reason why just about homesteader who pushed west to explore the American Frontier carried a shotgun. Rifles were a little lesson common. Pistols were the purview of a minority, though you would think otherwise from the silver screen.

Are you kidding me. Maybe I am reading the post wrong.

You are. ;) In my previous post I praised adding a shotgun since it is such a versatile weapon and looked down upon a handgun. But Elloco brought up a valid point in the usage of a revolver. A solid pump acton would be great, since it could be used in hunting and self defense against both animals and potential human threats. I'd rather just see the game have a single rifle and single shotgun that can be found and used as opposed to bringing in a whole arsenal of weapons. But I did concede that a high powered revolver would be acceptable in the game

My point exactly. Most of the time I leave the rifle at my base because it is simply too heavy. I would not mind a smaller, lighter weapon that I could use to defend myself from wolves. Maybe not kill them, but at least get them to leave me alone. I have no delusions a revolver would be a good option when it comes to bears.

I really don't expect any more firearms to be added to TLD though, especially now we have the bow and arrows as a ranged alternative. But if there are the number will be small and I would expect them all to have a different "area of expertise". So lets assume the rifle, the shotgun and possibly a revolver. Let's also assume there are no slugs or heavy shot available for the shotgun.

Then the rifle would be best used on medium - large game and also be the best choice for defense against predators. The shotgun would be best used for hunting small game and birds. And the revolver would be an option to carry for defense purposes when you don't want to be carrying that heavy rifle around all the time but still want some protection.

I would totally go hunting with the pistol in TLD, especially in it's current state where you can sneak up to a wolf up to 10cm - a bullet to it's head, even from a pistol/revolver would kill it from this distance for sure ;)

I was playing a bit last night and ran I deer into a wolf. Here I am, about 12 days into ML and still no rifle. I have crafted about 4 arrows but still no willow for the bow. It is like they are missing from the map. So I slowing walk up behind the wolf and toss an unlit flare. Nothing. It continues to chow down. I get close enough to pick up my flare and now stand directly behind it. A full second goes by before it starts to turn to get me and I turn in kind. My 7 year old was laughing as we "danced" like this for about 5 seconds. I then giggled at the scene and the stabby, stabby game began. It took me down to about 60% health, I ended up with a full deer and a frozen wolf not far off the next day.

If I would have had a pistol or a shotgun... the big bad wolf would have been seriously dead. That said, if the game would have let me drop the axe on the back of the wolf's skull it would have been in a world of pain, if not immobilized outright.

Maybe the problem with that scenario is that it's possible to sneak up on a wolf like that. I'm pretty sure a RL wolf would have noticed you long before you get close enough to hit it with an axe. But then again, a RL wolf would not attack you for just walking around either after it has eaten two deer.

I'm still playing beginner mode no wolf attacks.

Though I had to push the limits and try and take down a bear- oops.

well as most of you know bears don't like to be provoked. So yes I copped a hiding - bear in my face type of hiding while it rips all my nicely made clothes to pieces. Managed to survive went down to 2% health.

Anyways found that bear dead a couple days later down a road. So i must of managed to get another round into it.

Makes me think Pepper Spray might of been good to scare it off quicker, if not a shotgun for close combat.

Maybe the problem with that scenario is that it's possible to sneak up on a wolf like that. I'm pretty sure a RL wolf would have noticed you long before you get close enough to hit it with an axe. But then again, a RL wolf would not attack you for just walking around either after it has eaten two deer.

I think OP means why couldn't he pull his axe to chop the wolf when it was attacking?

Makes me think Pepper Spray might of been good to scare it off quicker, if not a shotgun for close combat.

I think adding in a few bottle of Bear Spray would be a nice addition to the game. Sort of a "get out of jail free" card for being attacked by just about any predator. Get maybe 3 or 4 pulls on the can before it was empty. For game balance maybe just one good pull and the can is empty. Find them stashed away in the Lookouts or the Camp Outpost.

I am pretty darn sure the idea of a spray deterrent has been mentioned before. I would be happy if the devs added in a few cans of bug killer. So I can have a ready can of accellerant handy to start fires or make mini flame throwers :o

I think OP means why couldn't he pull his axe to chop the wolf when it was attacking?

That was actually meant in response to ChillPlayer's and AmericanSteel's posts about hunting wolves with a pistol by sneaking up on them and shooting them in the head at point blank range, not in response to anything the OP posted. (This thread is starting to get a little OT.)

Archived