To Spit-Ball a Few ideas here:

Seancushing

Now, I'm not going to take credit for being the first one to think of these ideas.

That said, here are some ideas that I'd like the possibility to see Added in:

1. Weapon Variate:

Now, one thing before I begin, I understand that in a game like this, hit detection is going to be both key and life and death in situations. Also, we don't need an arsenal for a small army. I'm looking at a range of three or four new weapons: A compound bow (Found in locations like a hunting cabin, general store, or ranger station), A 9mm pistol or equivalent side arm (Ranger stations, Police Vehicles, or others), .22 Rifle (See above), and some form of melee weapons for personal defense. The weapons would balance something like this: .22 rilfe is more common, easy for hunting small game like rabbits. Can injure a wolf with a few shots. Bears would tank rounds for days. (+10 bullets to the head). 9mm - Balance for the two weapons. More power to kill wolves, less for bears. Compound bow would be a better weapon than a survival bow, and last longer. (Rare spawn though).

2. More Traps:

One or two traps would be nice to craft: Maybe a bear trap for getting dear or some predictors. Or maybe craft bait to increase the likelihood of trapping with a snare.

3. AI survivor encounters:

This one is sketchy, but imagine this train of thought: You're out in the snow, hoping to find a dear to kill, or maybe checking a snare line. Suddenly, in the distance, you hear a guy/girl cry out, followed by a wolf howl. You are suddenly faced with a few choices: Go on your way, and leave them to most certainly die. Find the source of the cry and wait for nature to take it's course, looting the corpse, and then having to deal with what killed the person. Or three, saving them. Saving them would open up a new interface: Bartering. You saved their life, and for a price, they may save yours. Food and water go high on the price range, with bandages and medicine following close behind. The better the quality and type, the better you may get. But people won't be willing to part with their rifle rounds or other ammunition for free. (I could go on with another idea for this, but I'll leave it here)

4. Transportation:

To be a bit more specific, I'm referring to the option to craft snow shoes. It would mean you would walk faster on snowy terrain, and the wear and tear on boots would be less: Crafted from Cured Beech and Guts. As an added bonus, Around 30% condition, they have a 20% chance to break instantly.

5. Maps/Navigation

A common request I see is a way to use a Map and navigate around locations. I'd like to beef that up a bit: Specific location maps found in a few locations of importance, and you have to identify where you are on the map by using landmarks. Another survival game, (Can't recall the tittle) Did this via triangulation, and once you triangulated where you were, you appeared as a dot on the map as well as having identified landmark locations.

6. Ice/Weight penalty.

As a little bit of a way to dissuade people from walking over frozen lakes or areas, people who are over encumbered have a 20% chance of falling through ANY ice. This would be countered with how the ice sounds. It may not be realistic, but the "Thinner" ice would crackle a lot more if you tried to walk over it. You could still navigate an iced area over encumbered, but it would seriously slow you down.

7. Carrying Cases.

Namely, a pull behind sled you could build with enough birch/maple saplings with a combination of scrap metal and cured guts for support/bindings. It would allow you to carry along extra storage at a walking speed penalty, as well as if you get attacked, have a really good chance of being broken and spilling the contents out in an area. I can imagine a situation of hauling in meat from a fresh dear kill, slowly and loudly trudging through the snow, when suddenly, in the distance, you hear a wolf howl. Now faced with a choice of having to detour to avoid the beast and risk the cold or go through and risk getting attacked at close range.

Okay, now are these good ideas for future add ins, or am I crazy?

Guest TimtheBigDaddy

I like the weapon variants you suggested, they sound nice and balanced and not unrealistic for the game's setting.

I would like to see .22 bullets/gun as they seem common everywhere, along with a shot gun 12 gauge and maybe a 9mm pistol :) - but then again will it make the game boring and to easy to have all those guns?

maybe different maps have or use a different gun type. hrm balance is the key to this game so I think it needs to be well thought out. Or just stick to the one caliber bullet but with different gun designs! maybe be the best way to go.

I would like to see .22 bullets/gun as they seem common everywhere, along with a shot gun 12 gauge and maybe a 9mm pistol :) - but then again will it make the game boring and to easy to have all those guns?

maybe different maps have or use a different gun type. hrm balance is the key to this game so I think it needs to be well thought out. Or just stick to the one caliber bullet but with different gun designs! maybe be the best way to go.

Well, as I suggested, Different guns have different spawn rates, strengths, and weaknesses. .22 would be week as hell, as a known US president was actually shot by one (And didn't know about it unlit he went to the hospital.) But the pro of a .22, as you and I agree on, is that they are common weapons. I personally live in a home with my dad, and he owns a .22. 12 Gauge shot guns sound nice, but balance would be a bit more tricky with them.

Another commented about the avalibility of the 9mm in Canada and one thing I'd like to suggest as both a hindrance to their availability in game as well as keeping them in the game is that it would only spawn on either bodies of dead police officers (Or respective law enforcement members (I'm looking at you Mounties)), or in custom police/Law enforcement vehicles that would have a significantly less likely spawn chance. With the current system and maps now (As I play on the Xbox One), in all of the three maps, only one or two Police cars would spawn and of them, it would be in one or the other.

As for balancing the 9mm, it'd have good damage, but crap range and accuracy over longer ranges. Mostly, it would help you defend against wolves and scare off bears that got too close to you.

Archived