Hi-res optical flaws

octavian

Experiencing what a hipster with a Holga in his dropped-crotch pants sees every day, vignetting, chromatic aberration and grain – in the case of TLD not silver halide but a “grain” texture slapped on top – you’d think there would at least be an option to turn them off, at least for hi-res screenshots.

Instead of having the best possible hi-res screenshot to work with, art and elegance is adding optical flaws, that’s the price you have to pay for trees, shadow draw distance and so on, flaws which you could add yourself if that’s what you want for that particular screenshot.

I guess they simply don’t want screenshots to be anything more than testaments to aim and bug reporting tools.

Instead of helping the people helping them out for free, even though this is just a side-effect, them doing it because they like the game and it’s fun to them, slaving over pixels and showing the world how they see this awesome game that particular day, Hinterland doesn’t want anyone touching their work with anything shorter than a pole the height of a hipster with a Holga in his dropped-crotch pants.

Because, for example, you can remove the C part of CA, but not the triple image, so it’s all pointless, so why bother.

Not to mention those high-radius-sharpening halos. Ew. Good luck fixing those.

Ummm, I'm lost . . . . What is your point ??
(...) vignetting, chromatic aberration and grain (...) you’d think there would at least be an option to turn them off, at least for hi-res screenshots.

Plain English. First paragraph.

Don't take it personally, take it seriously ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Your humour and style of writing occasionally ends up camouflaging your point, making it hard to decipher :|

Anyway, I don't see much of a problem. It's the decided style of the game, I guess.

Not saying a method of letting the user control the settings are bad, just not something I consider important. Remember that this is your work, so you will automatically be hyper-critical to these things - MUCH more so than other players.

Well, of course you don't consider it important because you don't run hi-res screenshots through Photoshop time-hours with the intent of printing on 40x50 255 gsm glossy paper.

If you do that, the vignette, the chromatic aberrations, the cheap "noise" texture, while it may or may not add something for the casual player, it does nothing good for the photographer because if he thinks those would add something to the image, s(he) could add them better than the game ever could.

The issue is beyond simple. If Hinterland wants their game to be printable which is as high as the bar goes - looking good on paper is hardest - then the first step is to have an option to disable those features on hi-res Ultra screenshots, just to give the best pixels to the one doing the processing.

Then, even if you don’t print, you’ve made it better for the screen by at least one order of magnitude.

If they don't care, if treating a screenshot of their game like a photograph and changing how they intend you to see the game is an offence to them, by all means, don’t give the option, deter this kind of activities, I don't care, I just pointed it out because probably nobody else would ever have.

[spoil]

If they don't care, if treating a screenshot of their game like a photograph and changing how they intend you to see the game is an offence to them, by all means, don’t give the option, deter this kind of activities, I don't care, I just pointed it out because probably nobody else would ever have.
Being passive aggressive is your trademark, apparently.

Your humour and style of writing occasionally ends up camouflaging your point, making it hard to decipher :|

Agreed.

Well, of course you don't consider it important because you don't run hi-res screenshots through Photoshop time-hours with the intent of printing on 40x50 255 gsm glossy paper.

I think the majority intends to play, not print. I get it, you want a specific style, less blue hue, and ultra realism. I just don't see those kinda options at the forefront in alpha. Wanting to push graphical boundaries is great, the comments regarding the Devs' care or diligence seems offhanded, or rude. Not a way to gain support or be taken "seriously".

Don't take offense. I've learned a bit from reading your posts... Never knew what "banding" was. I'm an ignorant console player.

I'm not taking offense Random Fires, I'm just confused about your reading of an option for a hi-res screenshot without vignetting, CA and grain. Seems to me you read it "a specific style, less blue hue, and ultra realism" instead of "an option for a hi-res screenshot without vignetting, CA and grain."

And I just don't see how an option for a hi-res screenshot without vignetting, CA and grain would be "at the forefront in alpha."

Just out of curiosity (geez, I hope I'm not opening pandora's box here) : Why do you want to print a high-resolution screenshot on paper anyway? To make some poster to pin it on a wall or something?^^

I mean that's probably a nice compliment for the game in general (and I can certainly imagine that such posters might look nice), but I somehow doubt that printability is of high priority for the Devs. ;)

Then, without any obscure hipster comments, ask for these options to be added in the Wish list Sub. There are, on the console side, no display options. I support options.

Just educated myself on chromatic aberrations. Another option that could be added. Until now, I had no idea what this was, or how often I've seen it in games. Now I am forever cursed, thanks. Personally, I've no problem with this in this game.

Grain, yes I know what that is... First thing I disable if the option is given in any game.

Vignetting, another newly learned term. I also highly dislike this.

I find it is often used as a cheap red element to emphasize health status in other games. A characters health status is so low it is obscuring the players view. In The long dark, with the night is setting in and all corners going dark emphasizing a lack of light... Not a fan of this either. Just give me dark, in game.

Options are always good.

I don't understand the reactions since none of the players responding to this thread process and print screenshots of the game, so I fail to see what the issue is, exactly.

Maybe I'm a bad guy for expressing myself the way I do, myself has no other possibility than itself, the way I simply am. Do I need to apologize for not expressing myself in accordance with the expectations of others or change? Maybe I'm not welcome on these forums then.

Am I a bad guy for wanting a feature that none of the players responding to this thread would ever notice or use and which would not affect their experience of the game at all? I have purposely not wished this as an in-game option that concerns everyone's experience of the game Random Fires, just in an attempt to duck random negativity, which I have failed to do regardless.

Am I a bad guy just because my eyeballs see TLD good enough to be printed and wish a feature that would help with this and make the results better?

Scyzara, asking me why I want to print is like asking Hotzn why (s)he feels the need to write and share the "One With Nature" run. Do I need to have a reason? It just is what it is.

I don't understand the reactions since none of the players responding to this thread process and print screenshots of the game, so I fail to see what the issue is, exactly.

Maybe I a bad guy for expressing myself the way I do, myself has no other possibility than itself, the way I simply am. Do I need to apologize for not expressing myself in accordance with the expectations of others or change? Maybe I'm not welcome on these forums then.

If you want to get condescending [e.g. "Plain English. First paragraph."] or passive aggressive, then you likely won't get the responses and tone you want...

News flash - it might be plain english in your line of work, but it's not to general players. That would be like me using terminology and specific details from the industries I specialize in, and then putting you down for not understanding it.

Multiple users here have commented over and over that they didn't understand what you were trying to complain about here, and instead of providing a simple answer [which only came out buried in the past couple of posts] such as "I do high end print work, but the settings don't allow for proper printing. Is it possible to get different settings added?" (or whatever it is you're trying to purport as needed).

The game isn't designed with print as the primary purpose, it's meant for gameplay and standard user screen resolution and settings. If you need specific print options for a non in-game use, you're probably best contacting the studio directly for the print info needed.

And "Am I a bad guy for wanting a feature" - no... but when people comment they have no clue and don't understand what you're asking for and you get condescending with "Plain English. First paragraph" like we're stupid for not knowing what you want well then it simply means you need to simplify the explanation [without all the technical reasons].

You're requesting a feature or function which has nothing to do with the actual gameplay...

Am I a bad guy for wanting a feature that none of the players responding to this thread would ever notice or use and which would not affect their experience of the game at all?

Then you're asking for something specific for the studio to provide which isn't part of the gameplay criteria. Rather than the forum [since the feature is not meant for regular players to use], contact the studio and specific department or their media request.

I have purposely not wished this as an in-game option that concerns everyone's experience of the game Random Fires, just in an attempt to duck random negativity, which I have failed to do regardless.

That's where the confusion likely lies - the forum is for general gameplay details, not for single person feature use only... again, contact the studio directly or PM one of the studio reps through the forum.

Am I a bad guy just because my eyeballs see TLD good enough to be printed and wish a feature that would help with this and make the results better?

Again, the game is designed for screen game play", not individual artwork printing. If you need printed media, then you need to contact the studio media representation or technical department.

Not a bad guy at all. Apologize for what? Requesting features is encouraged. My god, there's a whole thread on adding organic food. Another wants a 10 wolf shoot'em up in a wolf den.

Everyone wants a personal piece of the dark. That's what this forum is for, discussion.

At the same time;

"Hinterland doesn’t want anyone touching their work with anything shorter than a pole the height of a hipster with a Holga in his dropped-crotch pants."

"The issue is beyond simple." "if they don't care..." and, "plain english..."

That's where your message got lost.

I don't need to know why you want to print. I know. Your suggestions and request is right up the same alley of anyone who does Machinima, not just print. Options, improvement, freedom.

Fan made content made that simple little game minecraft a giant. The Devs should probably consider it.

I learned a couple of interesting things today I did not know yesterday, for that, thanks. I'll leave it at that and let the print folk take over.

Archived