Can we have some organic food?

I find it odd that not a single lootable fooditem is organic. If you add moral or mood to the game consuming organic food could give a boost to them.

Organic food could also give increased health benefit for a day to the condition so that it only deteriorate at half speed.

Just like coffee benefits fatigue etc

Edit: This was originally posted in the wish list for the long dark

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets have fairtrade coffee added as well, so that the character has greater peace of mind by knowing the coffee was produced responsibly. Without the stress of that worry on their mind, their condition would regenerate at a faster rate.

+1

Nicotine patches would be nice, too.

Asides from the fact that eating "organic" (as a Biology Major, I laugh whenever I read an "organic" label) makes you almost 50X more likely to die from an E.coli infection, there is LITERALLY ZERO difference between "organic" and "regular" foods. Literally none, asides from the fact that "organic" foods take MUCH more land, MUCH more labor, and MUCH more resources to grow/raise. If we had to rely on "organic" farming, millions if not billions of people would starve to death. "Aesthetical reasons" my ass.

Asides from the fact that, all the meat and plants you are eating in TLD (AKA anything that isn't packaged) is LITERALLY the definition of "organic.". All free-range meat and no-chemical-fertilizers (SNORT) here!

there is LITERALLY ZERO difference between "organic" and "regular" foods.

Except that conventionally raised meat is more likely to carry antibiotic-resistant bacteria than organic. This is, IMO, a more grave health concern than ordinary E.Coli infection. I also think the "almost 50X more likely to die from an E.coli infection" from eating organic is an outdated idea. There is no longer any statistical difference (in the USA) due to more stringent washing regulations.

When NAFTA came into effect, food safety standards were equalized across the border. At a minimum, Canada's food quality and safety is equal to the USA's.

However, Canada is more strict in some respects; one example of that is that recombinant bovine growth hormone is banned in Canada, as are some food additives that are permitted in the USA. Therefore, depending on your point of view, Canada's food safety might be better than ours in the US.

Or we could just remember this is a frecking game and adding something that will literally have no effect on game play and use up the developers time when they could be adding in things that will actually matter in the long run?

there is LITERALLY ZERO difference between "organic" and "regular" foods.

Except that conventionally raised meat is more likely to carry antibiotic-resistant bacteria than organic. This is, IMO, a more grave health concern than ordinary E.Coli infection. I also think the "almost 50X more likely to die from an E.coli infection" from eating organic is an outdated idea. There is no longer any statistical difference (in the USA) due to more stringent washing regulations.

Ignoring bacteria content (most bacteria are massacred by your immune system if they are aggressive, and passive bacteria, if they survive the stomach, pass through without much trouble) the carbohydrates are the same. The proteins are the same, the lipids are the same, the macro nutrients are ALL the same, the micro nutrients vary due to regional differences, but largely they are the SAME.

Organic food has no measurable effect on a human, beyond psychological welfare. Light pesticide use is usually all that is needed for a decent crop yield. Most plants don't absorb that much pesticide, and fruit tends to be washed before put on the shelves.

Eat organic if you wish, but the benefits of organic versus conventional foods are negligible.

I've grown my own food for a few years, and beyond the satisfaction of growing it myself, I can't tell the difference between a bought courgette or a home-grown-courgette (I don't use pesticides because my chickens usually do a pretty good job of slaughtering slug invasions)

You're running around in the bush. It can't get anymore organic then that. You're starving and tired. Hmmmm? A handful of twigs or a can of pilfered but non-organic peaches. Hmmmmm? How badly do you want to survive? I wonder if we're considered an organic meal for the wolves?

Organic food is at least 100 times more healthier than conventional food that is produced for profit without any concern for the consumer thus being filled up with toxic waste and plastics making you dizzy and lazy and feeling uncomfortable.

Yes wildlife is organic, but not the food placed by the people who inhabitated the area before the incident.

"all food is organic"

No not all food is organic. I have for example at my place mustard that is conventional and not organic.

I love how everybody assumes that organic stuff is automatically good for you, and all chemicals are "evil".

Tea produces natural pesticides that gum up insect mouth parts. These are called tannins.

All of the stuff you eat? that is made up of chemicals.

Yes, some pesticides are bad for you and the environment, which usually leads to them being banned, or in the process of being banned. but not every pesticide is that bad

Then, in order to reduce pesticide usage, scientists propose GMO crops which have greater yields and are more disease and pest resistant, but they get bashed because "frankenfoods".

The fact is Organic farming practices do not yield enough food for us to feed everyone. hence the need for pesticides. Pesticides are bad for the environment, so GMO is proposed. But suddenly, we aren't allowed to grow GMO foods because they are "unnatural".

Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there.

My point is basic: organic foods have such a negligible effect on health that they are not worth adding to the game. Perhaps as an alternative packaging, supported by some snippy commentary (like the character picking it up and saying "huh... looks like being nice to mother nature didn't stop her wiping us out").

Beyond that, there's nothing more to be said.

I love how everybody assumes that organic stuff is automatically good for you, and all chemicals are "evil".

The suspicion that "all chemicals are evil" is a defense mechanism of sorts. Manufacturers don't adequately test products before exposing consumers to them, so naturally we don't want want to be lab rats for the sake of a few investors making a profit. There is absolutely no reason to believe that chemical manufacturers behave altruistically.

Then, in order to reduce pesticide usage, scientists propose GMO crops which have greater yields and are more disease and pest resistant, but they get bashed because "frankenfoods".

Yes, some of us remember Monsanto's attempt to incorporate the Terminator Gene into said crops. When asked how having this gene spread to nearby plants would be prevented, they said it was up to the farmer to manage planting appropriately. IMO, this is not the behavior of a socially responsible company that can be trusted, so consumers are wise to question the products.

My point is basic: organic foods have such a negligible effect on health that they are not worth adding to the game. Perhaps as an alternative packaging, supported by some snippy commentary (like the character picking it up and saying "huh... looks like being nice to mother nature didn't stop her wiping us out").

Beyond that, there's nothing more to be said.

I wouldn't object to organic trail mix or something like that being added to the game, maybe make it calorie-dense like the MREs. For some reason, I've always thought of the herbal tea as organic, even though it clearly isn't.

HAHAHA someone said organic food was healthier because "regular food" was produced looking for a profit.

Do organic food makers not try to make a profit??? This is news to me lol.

This is the most amusing thread on the site though, and I did appreciate the somewhat informed debate in regards to food and organic vs non organic.

Don't worry guys, I think all the meat that we have access to in the game is free range. Although it's not very humane to shoot a wolf in the face!

I think my character should get a boost for being vegetarian if I don't eat meat for two months :P.

Yes, some of us remember Monsanto's attempt to incorporate the Terminator Gene into said crops. When asked how having this gene spread to nearby plants would be prevented, they said it was up to the farmer to manage planting appropriately. IMO, this is not the behavior of a socially responsible company that can be trusted, so consumers are wise to question the products.

This claim that Monsanto attempted to incorporate the "Terminator Gene" as the press all it is in fact false attribution.

Monsanto actually NEVER attempted to introduce the Terminator Gene into their crops, and made a pledge in 1999 to never commercialize this so called "Terminator gene".

They do indeed own the patent for this technology, however they do not intend to, nor have they used termination seeds.

In addition to this, the Food & Drug Administration rigorously tests any pesticides before they release them out into the field. Sometimes long term unforeseen side effects do arise (Like the bio accumulation of DDT, or the indiscriminate killing of bees due to certain pesticides), but quite quickly bans come out of the sky like a tonne of bricks the moment anything harmful is picked up.

People react badly to "chemicals" because it is something they don't understand fully. To them it's magic, and they see the world divided into good and evil, when it is simply not the case.

Scientists who have devoted their lives to learning the mechanisms of nature get bashed by the public who think they know better, this being the same crowd who believe that nuclear reactors can explode like a nuclear bomb, and that fluoride in the water is actually the government trying to control the population.

Just because you don't understand something does not mean it is bad.

This claim that Monsanto attempted to incorporate the "Terminator Gene" as the press all it is in fact false attribution.

Monsanto actually NEVER attempted to introduce the Terminator Gene into their crops, and made a pledge in 1999 to never commercialize this so called "Terminator gene".

They do indeed own the patent for this technology, however they do not intend to, nor have they used termination seeds.

Monsanto made the pledge due to world-wide objections to the technology, which resulted in an international moratorium on the commercialization of it. The terminator technology was actually developed with the cooperation of and financing by the US government, and USDA was one of the original patent holders. The intention of USDA was to make the technology widely available to USA seed companies, which, no doubt, had much to do with Monsanto buying the patent. (A couple years later, USDA backed away from that position.)

I don't think anyone can honestly say that Monsanto had no intention of ever using it. They've never said that. The pledge, by the way, only addresses food crops.

Archived