Tim Hortons..

PhantomV

Unless Hinterland strikes a deal with Starbucks or some other company for an in-game advertisement deal (which will probably come with strings attached) it's probably not advisable to put copyrighted material in the game.

Tim's is a cultural icon, I doubt they could stop you from depicting their stores in a landscape that is supposed to be typically Canadian. Likewise, they could name the "pain killers" "aspirin", or the bandages "bandaids"

The question is; Why on earth would you list them by name for free?

Tim's is a cultural icon, I doubt they could stop you from depicting their stores in a landscape that is supposed to be typically Canadian. Likewise, they could name the "pain killers" "aspirin", or the bandages "bandaids"

Tim Hortons®, Asprin®, Band-Aid®: They're each "Registered Trademarks" not simply brand "Trademarks" so yes there's a lot they could do legally and financially for any unauthorized use they might deem worthwhile pursuing. The studio wouldn't knowingly use any of the brand names without a contract in place.

It would depend on the use. Using Tim's logo in background art is a lot different than selling mud and calling it Tim Hortons Coffee. One is protected the other not so much. Same with aspirin, showing it in a first aid kit is not an infringement. Covering smarties with white-out and calling them aspirin is.

Edit:

Changed my opinion on aspirin and bandaids. They degrade in game and claims are made regarding what can be expected from using them.

I maintain that you could not (would not) be sued for using a Hortons in the landscape.

Archived