Serious wolf problem

TSean

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. There is just one thing about it that ruins the fun of it for myself and many others as it seems.

I'd like to share a post I made on the steam discussion page here, accompanied with one of my experiences describing the issue.

ad9eea85b0ec9128ec49ff211f1c368b.png

I just started up a new game and walked around for a couple minutes, and of course, even though I'm at 98% condition, there's a wolf behind the hill and it runs after me. I somehow manage to lose it, turn a corner, and of course, another god damn wolf. There's no way of escaping this one so I fight it, down to around 50% vitality as I had nothing to fend it off with, I'm left bleeding without any gear because I had just started the game.

While bleeding out, I find a first-aid kit, but it only has a granola bar in it, because you know, what else would you put in a first-aid kit.. So while I still bleed, the wolf comes back for more and I end up killing it, though I am left with around 10% condition, still bleeding. I walk to the closest building I was aware of to die in peace...

And of course, I turn the corner a minute later while at 2% condition, and yup... a wolf instantly runs at me. I'd like to see a good survival game that doesn't require you to dodge/fight mindlessly agressive "zombie"-like enemies. Let nature be the enemy..

Anyways, I'd like to repeat that I really do like this game, it's one of my favorites and I think Hinterland is doing an amazing job at it. It's just the wolf thing that puts a lot of people, including myself off.

Keep up the great work

EDIT:

Just gave it another run. I spent a while looting some buildings and didn't encounter a single wolf. I went over the edge of a hill, a wolf spotted me and I fought it off, left with 50% condition, so I went to rip some stuff apart to create bandages. Considering I was freezing and such as well and there was no shelter nearby, my condition dropped to 10%. I thought to myself "this is gonna be tough, but I'll manage," then took 2 steps and another wolf appeared from behind a tree in front of me. RIP

TAKE THREE:

I spawn in, there's a wolf 50m in front of me, wind blows directly at him so he spots me and instantly charges me. Escape > Quit.

TAKE FOUR:

I spawn in, walk for around 30 seconds, see a derailed train cart and decide to investigate. There's two wolves hiding behind the cart, they charge me, dead. I honestly can't really enjoy this game like this anymore.

You have the worst luck I have ever heard of. My first play through I spent four days in the wilderness of ML wondering if wolves actually existed, since I had only seen deer. I saw my first wolf on the fifth day, wandering around Derailment, made a loop around it and didn't actually find myself on the teeth end of one for another sixteen days until I reached Coastal Highway.

There really aren't that many wolves unless you're playing Stalker difficulty, two to three I've noticed tend to patrol Derailment in ML, one to two near the Hydro Dam (not including Fluffy inside), one to two run around the Ranger Cabin and I've seen one in the Logging area. I haven't spent much time in the Valley yet, but Coastal has a larger population, especially through the gas station and housing area, but I've seen a few wandering the lake houses as well and I was attacked outside the logging cabins upon first arriving there.

Generally you can prevent attacks just by being proactive about it. Make sure you avoid tight corners where you have a large field of blindness, keep an eye out for deer corpses (and for that matter wildlife- if you see deer, chances are there aren't many wolves around), don't go charging over or down hills and listen carefully to audio cues. When you do find yourself facing a wolf, you shouldn't turn tail and run, since the devs made their behavior intelligently. Stand your ground and back away slowly, break the field of vision the wolf has, crouch if need be or if it will aid you in losing the wolf's interest. If he charges, chances are it's too late, so if you don't have a flare, gun or can drop bait then its perfectly acceptable to hike up your jeans and scream like a little girl while you run. I've found at full capabilities (unencumbered and healthy) I can outrun the wolves as long as I outsmart them as well, since I have been caught after just running straight across ML. Also, never carry raw meat for long if you can prevent it. If you're going hunting, plan to travel light so the moment you've cleaned your kill you still have the capacity to run as fast as you can back to your base.

I wouldn't argue with another game mode where you have a much more difficult and realistic environmental danger with a lessened danger from wolves, but I feel like on standard difficulty the wolves aren't that bad right now.

I am torn. I feel the OP has a valid point about the boasting no zombies. IT gives the impression there's more to survival than battling an AI. That the AI enemy will not take center stage. But the wolves do take center stage, they are for beginning players the main enemy. Not the cold, not food or fatigue. If a rifle isn't found by day 5, the maps is thick with wolves, and a new player will not know all the rifle spawns.... Tough times ahead.

But...

I agree with the other respondents, it takes some time to figure the wolf mechanic out. Either tough it out, or select a lower setting. The learning curve is steep, but you can get there.

I think the main problem of all beginning players is this, they all MUST start on the mystery lake map. Mystery Lake is the smallest map, with the most wolf spawn points, and they are very close together in the middle of the map. That middle, the camp office is the most likely place players will base themselves. The wolves are fine, the space between spawns or the amount of re spawns is not. Does it need to change? I really don't know. I've reached the top of the curve, but I still remember those early days.

I still start all my games on ML, around day 20 or so, I flee to the other maps to conserve bullets and craft my arrow supply. Once, I have 10 arrows however, I'm free to go anywhere for food and some wolf retribution.

Hang in there OP, raw meat(decoy) is your friend, inexperience the true enemy, and the long dark awaits all players, old and new.

You should start playing on pilgrim difficulty level. Only after you managed to survive for a considerable time should you switch to voyager. You will learn where wolves usually "hang out" (example: the derailment is very dangerous, there are 3 wolves patrolling around it), you should avoid these places. Also, the problem seems to be that you just walk around corners or over ridges while you can't see what's on the other side. Try to climb a hill to see where wolves abound, stop and listen sometimes (you can hear animals moving through the snow). Carefully peek around corners. The game is hard, but you can learn and become a wolf-master.

I don't think there's a "serious wolf problem"!

I'm always start on ML, also. I live in the camp office. I'm in my day 51 and still don't have the rifle nor the bow. I'm never even been in the Forestry lookout nor the trappers cabin or logging camp. I have everything I need right now. I discovered the other half of the map e.g. lake, dam, river area, etc. This part of the map has most of the wolves.

Do you guys ever tried not to run all the time? Did you noticed that wolves aren't attracted by you at all when you are walking?! Did you realize how close can you get to a wolf before it's attack you, if you're walking? Do you realize that you can turn back just a few steps before a wolf, and walk away safely?

I don't think so. I believe you guys just running around on the map like crazy, and then come here to talk about "serious wolf problem"! :lol:

I don't think there's a "serious wolf problem"!

I'm always start on ML, also. I live in the camp office. I'm in my day 51 and still don't have the rifle nor the bow. I'm never even been in the Forestry lookout nor the trappers cabin or logging camp. I have everything I need right now. I discovered the other half of the map e.g. lake, dam, river area, etc. This part of the map has most of the wolves.

Do you guys ever tried not to run all the time? Did you noticed that wolves aren't attracted by you at all when you are walking?! Did you realize how close can you get to a wolf before it's attack you, if you're walking? Do you realize that you can turn back just a few steps before a wolf, and walk away safely?

I don't think so. I believe you guys just running around on the map like crazy, and then come here to talk about "serious wolf problem"! :lol:

So, the collective answer here is "deal with the Z-wolves by simply avoiding them by altering your entire way of playing." Wolves tend to spot me from quite far away even when walking for whatever reason so it's not like I'm running into their faces, and nope, not carrying meat. I know there are ways around this issue, but working around it and then acting as if the problem is not there is not the answer.

Big difference with zombie games - usually the game consists of going after them to kill all the zombies... For the wolves in The Long Dark, you want to avoid them when possible, and only go after them or fight them as a last resort.

I see what you mean and I agree to some extent, although many "survival-based" zombie games require you to avoid them for a long period of time until you get your hands on good gear... sound familiar?

My biggest issue with the wolves is conservation.

It's hard to save rifle ammo for when I actually need to hunt food when I literally get attacked by a wolf 2-3 times a day. I'm currently on day 19 and finally got the wolf coat, which doesn't seem to repel wolves at all despite its description. I ran out of all my ammo but one round a day prior and decided to take on the scary dam and kill fluffy (I saved that last round for exactly that reason). In the end I got what I wanted, but I almost had to use the last round twice on attacking wolves while walking over to the dam in a storm, and nearly died multiple times. It really makes it unbearably difficult to have to fight one of these guys every time I go outside to : a) fish b) hunt c) literally do anything that requires me walking 50 feet away from my cabin.

I haven't had to fight a wolf in hand-to-hand combat in this current playthrough, but so far I've never had any luck in any of my attempts. Now I always just use a flare to make it run away and then shoot it most of the time when that doesn't work (It helps when you get lucky like me and find the rifle on the first day).

Also, why TF are there deer and wolves out on mystery lake? There's no reason for a deer to be there, which means there's no reason for the wolves to be there either. I don't like to have to pack heat just to go fishing...

Here's an idea: Maybe tone the wolves down a little bit, so that they're a little less aggressive. Doesn't have to be much. Also, GET THEM OFF OF THE FECKING LAKE. Then, I think you should set them up so that they are more likely to appear at certain times (i.e. late evening, nighttime...). Finally, maybe you could add a sort of wolves den somewhere in the game with a gigantic payoff for killing like 10 wolves at once (dam? Fluffy x10?). Maybe the reward could be a bunch of ammo or something else that runs out fairly quickly. I think all of these things would make the game a lot more interesting.

Love the game. It's my favorite way to wind down after a long day, and I never get tired of playing it. Hope my input was helpful and I can't wait for the full release!

One BIG advice for new players who have trouble with wolves (it will most likely solve 95% of your problems regarding wolves) : Whenever one dashes towards you, drop a decoy, turn tail and run away in the opposite direction. I guess it's literally impossible to be unable to get out of the agression radius of a wolf before it has eaten up the decoy (=at least 20 seconds).

Most problems with wolves arise because people either A) don't check the area properly or B) don't use the drop decoy option or C) fight wolves in situations when option B would be much more advisable.

It's hard to save rifle ammo for when I actually need to hunt food when I literally get attacked by a wolf 2-3 times a day.

I would very much advise you to use the drop decoy option as often as possible and save your rounds for bears or wolf-deer-combos instead of wasting them to kill single wolves.

More harvestable meat = more small leftover meat pieces = more decoys = more wolves that can be distracted = even more rounds you save. Shooting single wolves for self defense is nothing but a viscious circle that will eat up your bullet reserves. ;)

If you carry around some pieces of leftover meat (I usually use tiny 50-200g pieces for this purpose), you can walk the whole map for days without ever shooting a wolf in self-defense. Feeding them some scraps of meat is way more efficient than forcing a kill at any cost.

Yes, and after you start using decoys you run in to the next problem, walking from Alan's cave to the dam confusing three wolves about life by pressing a key three times :?

So they become a joke, not even taking into account you can glitch their AI.

[bBvideo 560,340:2jpnkurm]

[/bBvideo]

Maybe you guys check this video about detection range of wolves.Maybe it can be learned something from this video and other similar ones.

There are players,who have heavy problems with wolves,on other hand there are players,who find dealing with wolves way to easy,even in hardest mode.And,if one can deal with them with ease,everyone can.It is all just matter of our own abilities.Someone can learn fast and knows how to use all aspects of games in his own advantage.Someone can be perceptive and use that in game,use intuition,prediction.Someone just pay attention on every detail in game,just like he would do in real life.And someone find very hard to get along with game.maybe cannot understand core of the game,its concept.Maybe someone has not such strong developed his abilities.maybe someone simply learn slow.Maybe someone just stuborn tries to play game in his way,not accepting any help.maybe someone just ignore all tinny signals,which game gives to you,and which developers so greatly implemented in game.

What would be best solution for all of us? What would make everyone to be able to deal with those "hated ugly mean wolves"?.One way is that fresh players and those,who are not that good at survival or strategic games,just watch and ask experienced players for advices.To learn from them and their experiences implement in your own game style.It is nothing dishonouring,if we admit,that we have problems in game,which we cannot deal with by ourselves.Searching for help and accepting advices is nothing to be ashame of or to make us worse players than others.

Somebody will say,this is not then experience,if someone reveal you some tips and if you go search for online map.But,you like game so much and you would like to learn how to play it.What will you do,then? Because of your own pride you will ignore help and keep having bad experiences and frustration with game?

I don`t know...something can be done,to make everyone enjoy game.Anyway,there will always be those,who will deal with wolves on too much easy way and those,who will always have hard times with them.But,one thing is for sure:

If I can deal with them,so do can you. :) If I can,everyone can.I am not better and not worse than anyone,who owns this game.All we need is patience and ability to adapt and learn.

I can't really understand people complaining about wolves. When I started playing in january I tried voyager first, and I was dying all the time because I couldn't understand how to fight wolves. So I did the only logic thing to do, I played on pilgrim a little bit.

When I understood wolf detection range, hunger/thirst/exhaustion mechanics and got a hang of the maps I tried voyager again and it was challenging, but nowhere near impossible like it seemed at first. Now I'm playing stalker, because after months voyager became boring and I needed some more challenge.

What's so complicated about choosing a difficulty level appropriate for your understanding of the game mechanics until you get more experience?

What's so complicated about choosing a difficulty level appropriate for your understanding of the game mechanics until you get more experience?

I think most folks play on normal difficulty. Pilgrim not only disables hostility unless provoked, but dumbs down cold, hunger, and fatigue as well. I think to learn the Wolf mechanic, you need that hostility. It teaches you not to run, the difference between crouching and walking, using decoys (man that took me a stupid amount of time) and awareness.

There's a lakeside trail probably seldom used, and by my count 2 spawns close to the ML office, and 7 spawns along the train tracks... Wolf highway. They eat well in the beginning.

I'm still player new enough to remember the early beginning. Yesterday, the Dark took me at day 171, played with a bear... Stupid rookie mistake made after first mauling.

If the crouch carried through when going outside, a lot of this Wolf hate would swiftly turn around. Its the only time the mechanic fails, or seems unfair. Until then, some of these "too many wolves" comments have a small amount of merit. How many of the vets have started a new game recently?

Well I did start many runs since I began playing, right now I have more than 400 hours of gameplay and those aren't all from the same run. I played a lot but I still make stupid mistakes from time to time :P or I get bored/want to try something different/there's a new update so I start a new run.

I almost never die because of wolves when I begin a new game. Usually if they kill me it's in the late game when I get too confident and go out hunting with only one bandage, or stop checking my surroundings.

True that pilgrim dumbs down everything, but it's a good way to learn about detection range, wolf patrol patterns, and to experiment with crouching. It can still be challenging while you are new to the game IMO.

Sometimes I wish there were fewer wolves and wildlife in general, at least on stalker, but for a different reason: right now it's so easy it's almost boring. I don't care about being jumped because I'm perfectly capable of avoiding them and to use decoys, flares or a knife the few times they notice me, and the reduced loot isn't really a problem when there are those furry bags of sandwich meat running around everywhere. Having to spend many hours to track and find a possible prey would make the game way more challenging.

If the crouch carried through when going outside, a lot of this Wolf hate would swiftly turn around. Its the only time the mechanic fails, or seems unfair. Until then, some of these "too many wolves" comments have a small amount of merit. How many of the vets have started a new game recently?

I guess most vets play for a few hours after every patch, at least I do. But it's usually not the vets who complain about wolves being too difficult to handle but almost exclusively new players who haven't learned the mechanics yet. (Wolf numbers haven't changed much and there are definitely not MORE wolves now than in the past. They only behave a bit different.)

The devs changed the wolf AI a whole lot during the last year in order to make wolves easier to avoid and give players more reaction time (e.g. to drop decoys or aim with the rifle). Somewhen back last winter (when the new scent mechanics were intruduced while wolves still dashed towards you at full speed as soon as they noticed you), they were sometimes challenging to deal with, but since then the devs made them much easier to handle.

Severe problems presumably only still arise because people don't make use of the "wolf avoidance tools" (walking/crouching/using flares/dropping decoys) given to them by the Devs - most likely because they don't know these options exist.

Some kind of optional ingame tutorial (or any other way to inform new players about possible ways to avoid hand-fights with wolves, e.g. by reading about it in a book or an audio comment of your character) would probably decrease the amount of complaints considerably.

I just moved to CH from ML, day 65 or so. I have to say, where ML was expansive and engrossing, CH so far is nothing but wolf avoidance. The techniques listed here work, but even so, the game feels more like Day-Z or Call of Duty than the long dark at this point. Instead of long breathtaking silent moments coming over a ridge and straining to see a sign of habitation enjoying the view, you're constantly just looking for motion and listening for sounds around the blind spots and snow berms, moving in short cycles from house to car to house and back gathering supplies. There's no way I'd live anywhere near here long term. Just not Long Dark to me. As soon as I harvest the non-replenishable loot (matches, metal, cloth), I'm moving on to PV.

CH is an interesting map, and it is advertised as a wolf trap - but being trapped in a gas station or car by wolves doesn't have the interest as ML, or the incredibly stunning Ravine!! So incredible moving through hoping against hope that a storm doesn't kick up -- I still shudder at getting caught on the rail bridge when fog or a storm rolls in - I just escaped it one time going through.

More Ravine type maps and less Coastal Highway.

• 3 weeks later...

There are already a lot of great tips in this forum topic on wolf hunting/fighting strategy. I'd like to see a forum or minimally a few topics on the subjects of hunting (in the game).

I think you should add FIRE as an essential tool in the fight against wolves. You can deal with multiple wolves if you carry firewood and accelerant. The big problem with this approach is it won't work during windy times easily.

I think a good solution that works for beginners and experts is a heuristic tuning approach to resources and predator respawning based upon the previous play, life expectancy and cause of mortality. By this I mean if you die after a few hours because of lack of food or clothing, adding more for the next time helps provide balance. I believe the game already employs randomization to these things.

Archived