Are you flippin kidding me? The new Ravine

TorQueMoD

OMFG I seriously hate you Hinterland for changing the ravine. I hadn't played TLD in months so I decided to check out the latest updates. For the most part I'm loving everything. I started a new game at Mystery Lake that I've played for several hours and survived for 7 days. I decided to make my way down to the highway to find some more supplies and was pleasantly surprised to see that the ravine has expanded into a full new area. I walked along the tracks until I got to the derailed train. Obviously not the way to go so I turned back and followed a path to the right of the train until it too ended at the edge of the ravine. "Ok." I think to myself, "I guess they want me to go down to the bottom of the ravine." So I begin my descent only to run into an invisible "kill zone" while safely standing on a rock that instantly kills my player. Thank you for that.

Could you please make the path from the ravine to the highway a little more obvious? Its really frustrating when you loose a great game due to bad level design with unobvious paths to follow. Especially when its just a connecting point between two areas. I haven't sworn at my screen that hard and long for years. My dog thought I was mad at him and ran upstairs.

I don't think you'd be able to get out of there once you made that decision to go down anyway, even if you did make it to the bottom without breaking your legs.

I'm sure most of us have had the desire to see if we could finesse our way down to the bottom of the ravine? Something in my brain though just always says "you're not meant to actually try going down there, you'll die or get stuck"

OMFG I seriously hate you Hinterland for changing the ravine. I hadn't played TLD in months so I decided to check out the latest updates. For the most part I'm loving everything. I started a new game at Mystery Lake that I've played for several hours and survived for 7 days. I decided to make my way down to the highway to find some more supplies and was pleasantly surprised to see that the ravine has expanded into a full new area. I walked along the tracks until I got to the derailed train. Obviously not the way to go so I turned back and followed a path to the right of the train until it too ended at the edge of the ravine. "Ok." I think to myself, "I guess they want me to go down to the bottom of the ravine." So I begin my descent only to run into an invisible "kill zone" while safely standing on a rock that instantly kills my player. Thank you for that.

Could you please make the path from the ravine to the highway a little more obvious? Its really frustrating when you loose a great game due to bad level design with unobvious paths to follow. Especially when its just a connecting point between two areas. I haven't sworn at my screen that hard and long for years. My dog thought I was mad at him and ran upstairs.

Well,buddy...this is all,what is game about. :) You survive or die.In fact,at the end you always die. :lol: And how long you survive,depends only by making right or wrong choices.You just made wrong choice,nothing else.Maybe you could still explore wholle transition area better and in that case your sense of logic would tell you,which way should be right one.And,if you still wouldn`t find it...if you were so much affraid to lose your great run,you could simply come here and ask this great community for advices and help.It would save you many frustrations.Coz that is why we are here.Not only to play game,but also to share experiences and help each other. :) This is very friendly community and Hinterland team interacts with us very well.We kinda feel here like one big family rather than just a gaming community. :)

So,it is quite rude and unpolite to blame Hinterland team for your own mistake.Hey,don`t worry...this was just one of many lessons,which will make you better survivalist. :D And,what concerns your great run..in time you will have so many greater runs,that you will completely forgot about this one. :) You`re going trough same process,as all great players are going: By making mistakes and wrong choices,which leads to many deaths. :)

Peace,love & respect.

I personally love the changes that were done, and didn't have any issues figuring out where to head. All I can really say to this situation is... In the future, if you're uncertain, ask questions on here, or check videos on youtube.

I agree with the OP's frustration, but not attitude. I also naturally assumed the first time I could hop my way down. I think if the cliff was straight, without all those little steps, such attempts to climb down wouldn't happen. Other then that ravine is awesome. That bridge had such an epic feel.

Now if I could some how survive that climb down and end up in pleasant valley... Whoah.

Yeah it took me a little while to find that fallen tree that serves as a bridge in the new map, I spent a whole day searching it in vain, spent the night in the dam, went back to the ravine and found it in five minutes.

I'm glad I never tried to venture down, I thought about it, but I'm very wary about heading down hill in the game, as it's hard sometimes to tell what you could can climb back up, and committing to something uncertain is definitely one of those ways to die in the game. It's like when you think "Well, I'm at 50% health, but I could totally harvest this corpse and get to a base in time..." then you get mauled by a wolf down to 5% and a blizzard hits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all. So apologies for sounding like a jerk with the first post. I wrote it immediately after it happened so I was a little more incensed than I should have been. I also forget that in writing there's no tone so it can be taken that I was a lot angrier than I really was. I don't hate Hinterland... I love them. They made one of my favorite games. But man that was frustrating that the way down to the ravine has all of these little steps as Random Fires pointed out so it looks completely possible to just jump your way down there. It wasn't that I died that ticked me off. It was that I died from an invisible trigger going into a zone that looked like a completely plausible path. A wooden sign that says Danger or Steep cliff or something would be a simple way to make the death less painful. Or maybe get rid of the steps and make it a smooth slope. Then it wouldn't read as a possible way down. Its just a poor level design decision in my opinion as it doesn't read as intended.

It took me less than a few seconds to notice that it was a bridge as soon as I saw it. I thought it was so awesome! " Those sneaky devils" I thought to myself. I never for once thought to 'hop' my way down, since the game mechanics try to teach you that falling even a small amount from anywhere could hurt you in a lot of ways and could even kill you if you can't heal yourself. Also a' small drop' can lead to never getting back up. Which means: Dying. I'm now at the coastal highway at 19 days and 14 hours give out take some minutes. Next time, be more aware of your surroundings and you should do fine.

I went over to the new Ravine and explored around the initial area. I did not see the obvious way across, so I went back and into Carter Dam. I have now explored that new area: the dam expansion (lol) and the river beyond into PV. Very cool.

I will need to go search the Ravine again to find the way across, but I don't want to die in the process :)

Hey all. So apologies for sounding like a jerk with the first post. I wrote it immediately after it happened so I was a little more incensed than I should have been. I also forget that in writing there's no tone so it can be taken that I was a lot angrier than I really was. I don't hate Hinterland... I love them..

Thanks for coming back with this! I was a little sad to see this thread start the way it did =(

That being said, I do understand how frustrating it can be learning lessons like that the hard way. I think you've gotten some good feedback, but it's always good to assess a location like that and basically reverse engineer it in your mind before tackling it. For example, it went this way in my mind the first time I discovered this area: This is a transition zone. If I hop down all the way into the bottom of the ravine, how am I expected to get back the same way if I want to return to Mystery Lake? Surely there must be a way across and back that doesn't rely on me climbing this insane cliff.

I'm not saying everyone should approach things with so much thought, but if you're on a long or successful run that you really don't want to lose, it's always best to think ahead as much as possible. It sort of just becomes a way of life (as far as the game is concerned), and it will definitely save you some heartache.

Again, sorry you had to learn the hard way, but the sentiment you returned with is appreciated. Don't be discouraged! You're totally prepared for next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived