Mile long detection in coastal highway

OdinsPotato

I always play on the hardest difficulty setting, but even so I find it impossible to start on the coastal highway.

Wolves seem to have a MUCH greater detection distance on coastal highway and they don't need line of sight. I find that I hear a wolf howl, start looking around, and a few moments later a wolf is running around a rock formation to come and attack me.

It was so bad one start, that literally as I started I heard a wolf howl, and in less then two minutes real time I was attacked, and bled to death.

Please fix this!

Thank you!

I usually don't play CH but I must say happened to me too: I arrived in town and there was no wolf in sight so I headed for the mechanic building ans at 3 steps from the door I hear steps behind me and I get attacked but I managed to kill it.

I slept through the night and as soon as I got out the next morning I got attacked by another wolf that killed me.

Total ingame time 20 hours.

We're always evaluating, but the wolves have come quite a long way.

As their detection is often based on scent, they don't need a clear line of sight to locate you. If you're carrying meat, it will be easier for them to sniff you out, particularly in Stalker. The "high value" areas in Coastal Highway carry a higher risk by design (meaning, in some cases, more wolves), so it's understandable that you find this a harder starting location.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the community!

Definitely meat is a big deal. I stopped carrying around meat on me for "lunch" while out exploring and the attacks dropped a ton, and I'm almost never ambushed any more. About the only time I get attacked now is when I see a wolf take down a deer going over a ridge and chase it to try to get the double kill (or at least scare it away and get the deer) but sometimes you crest over that ridge - even from an angle - and the thing is right there to greet you.

Still, this happens far less than before now, and it's an acceptable risk. Of course I'm at the Trapper Cabin now which is way better for this. The Camp Office has that wolf sometimes that can come over that hilly crest from the left by the train tracks and be right on top of you just as you start looking around outside. At one point, I used to equip a torch ever time I opened the front door just in case.

Archived