Craftable tools?

DrMembrane

Dear Devs,

Can you make it possible to craft primitive handaxes out of wood and scrap metal? Like the kind they had in the stone-age even, it would be a big help and if we can turn scrap metal into arrow heads it seems like it would make sense to make a primitive tool.

I assume he means make shift hatchets, can openers, knives and the like. Better than hands but not as good as modern ones. I can sympathise.

Well, obviously. What I fail to see is their reason. They already exist, so why have a worse version of them you can craft? In almost 600 hours of gameplay I never had the desire or need to craft a hatchet. That's why I'm asking.

ha also they wouldn't be primitive tools if they where made from recycled metal would they :).

If anything an option to create an axe made from stone flint/wood/gut/string.

That way you could use the tool to cut trees/open fish holes etc if you did not have the metal axe!

I guess you could also make a old school knife as well.

image.jpg

I've had a game or two where it took a number of days to find a hatchet or hunting knife, much to my annoyance. In those cases, I've have a surplus of can openers and/or prybars that I could break down into scrap metal. I usually attribute it to bad luck and eventually find a hatchet or knife (whichever I'm missing), but it can be frustrating till it's found.

On the other hand... I like a bit of frustration in a survival game. If everything were handed to me on a platter, I'm not sure I'd count it as the same genre. I also like having to adjust my survival strategy at the start of the game based on what tools I can find.

In my current run I started in PV (stalker) and I explored every building and vehicle without finding a hatchet or a knife. I was able to finally find a solitary knife near a corpse in the middle of nowhere something around day 10, and I finally got a pair of hatchets and other tools when I found the bunker after day 15.

I didn't feel the need to build tools. Actually, having to come up with alternative ways to harvest and fight was really thrilling. I still remember when I managed to shot a bear dead on my doorstep at the farmhouse, and then I had to harvest it bare handed and with a fire going so it wouldn't freeze meanwhile, that one was awesome.

Archived