Only been playing a couple days... My thoughts.

Mannhec

1. I was flying a plane that crashed, where is it? I bet it had some gear I could use to get started. Even if I parachuted the plane ought to be there somewhere.

2. Since I was flying this plane and there are no other survivors, I assume it was a single passenger plane, I would have had to had maps... obviously was not a commercial airline with advanced navigation.

3. As a navigator, I would have at least a compass on me? All those lost souls that I am finding... no compass?

4. I do not want a walk-through just some sort of method to find your direction..

5. Why do I not have a watch? Should be on screen. as we as the compass. I played the "Forest" and this is so much better. Some simple game play fixes would make it great.

6. Any chance of multi-player? How cool to add a friend and survive as a team.

It was mentioned that your a bush pilot. A bush pilot is a person who flys small 1-6 person planes basically to deliver supplies or to get people from one remote village to the next. I agree they should really add the plane wreckage. If you notice when you first spawn in, you have a randomized set of gear that you start with. I believe thats what you had from the plane wreckage. A compass wouldn't do much other than tell you the cardinal directions. Also since the spawn points are random it wouldn't be a good item to add to the game.

1. I was flying a plane that crashed, where is it? I bet it had some gear I could use to get started. Even if I parachuted the plane ought to be there somewhere.

You start off with some random supplies [sort of what you managed to save from the crash].

The actual plane crash will be in story mode. The sandbox is mainly meant for solo exploration and learning the mechanics, so the specific area of the actual crash wouldn't necessarily be where you're first spawning (it will be revealed in story mode though).

2. Since I was flying this plane and there are no other survivors, I assume it was a single passenger plane, I would have had to had maps... obviously was not a commercial airline with advanced navigation.

From The Long Dark Wiki:

"Flying a routine mail delivery in the Northern wilderness, Will witnesses mysterious lights flaring across the sky. Suddenly, his trusty DeHavilland Beaver loses power and crashes into the dense mountain forest below."

NOTE: The specific details may change by the actual story mode release

3. As a navigator, I would have at least a compass on me? All those lost souls that I am finding... no compass?

Either broken or lost in the wreck... either way a compass wouldn't work well given the geomagnetic event

4. I do not want a walk-through just some sort of method to find your direction..

Landmarks, mountains, sun/moon, shadows direction during the day...

5. Why do I not have a watch? Should be on screen. as we as the compass. I played the "Forest" and this is so much better. Some simple game play fixes would make it great.

Game is meant to be no handholding... removed for gameplay reasons [broke or lost in wreck if it helps you accept it more]...

6. Any chance of multi-player? How cool to add a friend and survive as a team.

No, there's no intention for Hinterland to make it coop or multiplayer. The game was specifically designed for single player. Time shifting, 3rd person views, and other mechanics simply preclude coop or multiplayer from working unless they scrapped and redesigned large portions of the game. Perhaps there's a chance for MP in some future sequel or mod, but it's simply not in the plans right now by Hinterland.

Agree with @Bill Tarling. Not only would a compass not work, it's highly likely any modern wrist watch would have gone bad in the geomagnetic disturbance - e.g. like in a theoretical EMP where anything with electronics is fried if not shielded.

Though I did end up liking Don't Starve Together, I really hope they NEVER make this multiplayer. The sense of being alone is so powerful and well done in this game. It's Robinson Crusoe, meets Robert Frost, meets some crazy prepper who was right about EMP's all along!

I really hope they NEVER make this multiplayer. The sense of being alone is so powerful and well done in this game. It's Robinson Crusoe, meets Robert Frost, meets some crazy prepper who was right about EMP's all along!

Well, in story mode, we will have a range of NPC - and I have a feeling Hinterland will make them a little more diverse than expected [i.e. even an NPC friend might turn on you when supplies get low enough]... looking forward to what they come up with :)

Archived