Save games after Windows Upgrade?

madrepityu

Yeah, there's really no reason for Windows updates to tamper with your save files.

You can make a backup of your save by copying your C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark folder somewhere else on your computer. That's where the save is. But if you ever use it, so for instance something happens to your save and you overwrite the folder with the backup you made, you will get back your save but leaderboards and achievements will no longer work for that particular save, so not until you start a new game.

Thanks, m8!

I never upgrade Windows, because it's a mess, imho. I usually put a fresh install on my HDD. I read somewhere that a simple copy/paste enough to tamper the save game files. (I believe they meant overwriting the original save folder, as you mentioned) I'm just not sure what happens with the C:\Users\Username\ folder when the system upgrade itself. That's why I was ask it.

works fine now that they have the upgrade process pretty much buttoned up. The last 4 builds have been smooth and there have been no problems with my steam partition.

I have 6 drives in my rig and duel boot 10 pro and 8.1 pro mce and they both share the steam folder that's on it's own drive. I have had no issues with saved games with the 10 upgrades as they have come out And my saves have carried over with no issues.

Since steam went with their own os they also redid the Steam program so you can host it on it's own drive independently regardless of what Windows os you put on the system or even if you reformat the primary drive and change the OS. Just install steam and point it to it.. All your downloaded games are there and playable at wim.. Most fetch saved data from the cloud so you never even have to worry about most of the games on steam.

TLD is not there yet but I do believe they are working on cloud saves.. I have win 10 and win 8 runs going as saves are stored locally, it's cool in a way as I can have two games going. And yes, both OS's sharing the same steam partition. ;)

Archived