Head Movement

This combined with auto-walk/run would be great. "theHunter" does a great job with this. This might be extremely cool with TrackIR. I'm wondering if this is already on the "to-do" list since they mentioned Occulus Rift support. If immersion is the goal (which it is), then freelook is a must IMO.

I would appreciate a freelook mode at times. Maybe while holding the 3rd/center/wheel mouse button so you could turn your head without altering direction? Could also be mapped to an unused button next to W, like E. I guess you could also do an auto-walk while you're at it, using Q to toggle. The only argument against it would be that it might prevent the difficultly of getting "turned around" in a snowstorm or at night when you can't see any long distance landmarks since you're automatically walking in a straight line.

• 4 weeks later...
I would appreciate a freelook mode at times. Maybe while holding the 3rd/center/wheel mouse button so you could turn your head without altering direction? Could also be mapped to an unused button next to W, like E. I guess you could also do an auto-walk while you're at it, using Q to toggle. The only argument against it would be that it might prevent the difficultly of getting "turned around" in a snowstorm or at night when you can't see any long distance landmarks since you're automatically walking in a straight line.

I also would like freelook and a toggle for movement. But I also like how easy it is to get lost in a snow storm. Perhaps it's possible to disable the toggle if visibility is below a certain threshold?

• 8 months later...

Freelook, absolutely, great for immersion. By default binded to Alt as there is where most people would expect it to be and find it comfortable maybe? If they use WASD their thumb is most likely resting on Space or Alt. You'd hold for momentary and double tap for toggle. If you release or de-toggle when you're not looking forward, you would automatically look forward. So you can take quick peeks left and right.

But what would it model? Eye movement, neck movement, or combined? Essentially, how "much" freelook. I think it should model neck movement range which is about 60 degrees up and down and 80 degrees left and right. Could be even less then that because you're wearing layers of clothing.

For even better immersion, a slowed movement speed, even if by a small amount, when you're not looking in the direction you're moving would be awesome. Or even better, the farther away you look from the direction of travel, the slower your speed. Especially useful for having extra time to look at things close to you when travelling parallel relative to them. In other words things you're moving fastest relative to. Coupled with a random chance of slightly veering to the left or right with every step when you're not looking in the direction you're moving.

Archived