Forestry Lookout

keeshia

I've gotten stuck here a couple times now and it seems to be far less protection that I feel it should be. The place is completely sealed in and even though it's high altitude and in a storm, it feels like nothing except sitting right on top the blazing wood stove will keep you from freezing - where a lit wood stove would make the entire lookout warm :\

I guess I'd like like for there to either be some defect - like no door at all or some sort of hole in the building - if it's not going to act like a sound structure and more like a partial building.

I noticed that, too. I'm guessing elevation plays a part, as well as the tower being an "open structure" unlike the cabins that load the interior when you open the door; it is no better protection from the elements than any other open shack you find in the woods. It blocks the wind, but that's about it. It makes sense to me. You're in an uninsulated, elevated wooden box that is exposed on all sides, so it would be tough to get it heated up when it's below freezing and windy. At best, it is a good resource cache and a place to hide from the wind for a short time, but isn't a solid enough structure and is to isolated to make a good base camp.

This is accurate.

It's more about exposure than wind. There is no insulation and it's position on top of the mountain gives it the full brunt force of the wind and cold. If you've ever been in one before, you know what I'm talking about.

Archived