Stone tools?

Sabbers

I just read that we can find flint (haven't seen any yet and not sure where to look), which made me remember this youtube vid.

Many will have seen it (thanks Reddit!), but I recommend it if you haven't, lovers of this game should appreciate it.

Although I'd prefer to be able "forage" for scrap metal around certain locations (indoors, railcars etc) to fix up hatchet/knife, foraging for stone and making an axe/knife might be an alternative.

Could also help in the early stages of a new playthrough when you don't know WHERE you'll find a knife/hatchet to fight off a wolf, or harvest a carcass.

I just read that we can find flint (haven't seen any yet and not sure where to look), which made me remember this youtube vid.

Many will have seen it (thanks Reddit!), but I recommend it if you haven't, lovers of this game should appreciate it.

Although I'd prefer to be able "forage" for scrap metal around certain locations (indoors, railcars etc) to fix up hatchet/knife, foraging for stone and making an axe/knife might be an alternative.

Could also help in the early stages of a new playthrough when you don't know WHERE you'll find a knife/hatchet to fight off a wolf, or harvest a carcass.

No thanks. In reality, knapping stone is really rather difficult, with a steep learning curve and a high chance for failure. There was a reason knapping-skills and knapped tools were intercontinental trade goods (yes, humanity has had organized trade and industry for its entire existence, as well as war) during the Neolithic period, after all. I make my arrowheads from bottle-bottoms, but it is a skill I have spent months working on, and they aren't really all that good.

If anything, we should be able to make "flake-knives" (that is, take a rock and knock a flake off a piece of flint. The flake will have a sharp edge). That is it. Bifaces, even crude ones, are too difficult to make in a survival situation. Although seeing a progression from "percussion" (AKA banging the flint with a rock) to "pressure flaking" (AKA pressing flakes off the blade with a piece of antler) would be cool to see.

And, no to axes, either. You can find videos of people knapping axeheads from flint, but those people know what they are doing. We (probably) don't.

Besides, you can improvise an axehead from metal MUCH more easily than you can from stone. I can make a servicable (at least for splitting wood and chopping small branches) hatchet-blade with a good file and a chunk of scrap in about an hour.

Flint knapping hard.

Great great great X50 Neanderthal grandpa strong as OX ... make many sharp tools.

Got swatted by his dad for bad flakes.

Many ... many flakes later...

Good sharp stone tools ... sell for berries and fermented berry juice.

Then some nutball melt green and orange shiny rocks and make Copper thingie.

Hit with rock till sharp.

Sharp rock business in decline.

No more wine, women, song ...

Go back to cave.

Archived