About ??? hours of daylight left

madrepityu

I like this "new" timer, however I'm pretty sure about every airplane pilot has a wrist watch on him.

Am I the only one who think it would make more sense in this way:

About 5 hours until sunset

or

About 7 hours until sunrise

And no matter if there's a storm or fog outside, the timer would show how many hours left until sunset/sunrise.

This ??? thing is a bit akward, imho. If I see those question marks, I know that there's fog outside(if not hearing any wind), so I don't even have to check the weather by going outside. I just need to check the timer and wait for those question marks become a number.

And how about a wrist watch as a loot item? Just for fun! If the player finds it, the timer would change to show the exact time, like in the previous builds. It could be harvested to scrap metal, if the player decided to do so.

What do you Guys think?

@bethany: Thank you, Bethany! I only see others complaining about it, too! However, my "problem" are not like the others. I don't mind not having a precise clock! ;)

What's the point of the question marks? There's always a clock in the game, counting how many days the player survived! You just need to check that clock right when the ??? changes to "9 hour of darkness left" and/or "15 hours of daylight left". Then you will know exactly how many hours (even minutes) left until sunset or sunrise.

Let say your survival clock shows "you survived for 0 day 22 hours 3 minutes" when the ??? changes to "9 hour of darkness left". Each day when the survival clock shows 22 hours 3 minutes, the player will know it's the end of daylight (10pm ingame). Same on the morning (7am ingame). And the player will always know how much time left until then.

If the ingame time can be easily calculated by the survival clock, then what's the point with those question marks? Right now it's only do one thing: it's a fog detector. :) Don't even need to go outside to check.

OP makes some good points with the last post. While I don't necessarily hate the ???, I see what he means in regards to it not being super effective to what seems to be it's purpose (throwing us off in regards to time of day) since you have the survival clock (which honestly I haven't used but totally will now lol). He's also completely right in the fact that the current system more or less serves as a early indicator to poor outside conditions, since their is a simple work around to keeping track of the time in regards to the game.

Also, everyone has an internal clock, and if you know there are six hours of daylight left, even if a storm comes you aren't going to suddenly lose all sense of what time of day it is. I could see having storms make the time estimates less accurate? Like you're in a storm and it says two hours of day left but it starts turning dark, because you were a little wrong about your estimates due to the storm. Of course people would possibly be enraged about this and call it broken, despite it being a step in the direction of realism imo.

Let say your survival clock shows "you survived for 0 day 22 hours 3 minutes" when the ??? changes to "9 hour of darkness left". Each day when the survival clock shows 22 hours 3 minutes, the player will know it's the end of daylight (10pm ingame). Same on the morning (7am ingame). And the player will always know how much time left until then.

If the ingame time can be easily calculated by the survival clock, then what's the point with those question marks? Right now it's only do one thing: it's a fog detector. :) Don't even need to go outside to check.

Noooooooo, why did you say this xD. Now they will have to take away either the fog detector or change the time you have been alive to 'about x days alive'.

Although I find the x hours remaining thing mostly good enough, I know for a fact that it will turn completely dark at exact 12 hours 15 minutes remaining.

Hopefully the mods will not read this :D (just kidding though).

Also, finding a watch that changes the timer to the exact time would be a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Guys for the replies! I wonder why nobody answer to this from the crew. Bethany, you told me to go to another tread, but it was a tread for another issue. You always have an opinion, it's strange that you're now in silence. ;) :lol:

Well, since then I had another experiment. I find out that the survival clock start to late after 30-40 days into the game. Hope you guys will understand what I mean.

Since I always checking the survival clock, I found out that after like 35 days of survival the clock and the day/night cycle synchronization are started to shift. So, basically it means that one of the clock is wrong.

Please read my bug report if you interested: link

I'm always reading and passing along feedback, but I tend not to enter a conversation multiple times unless I have something constructive to add. I also like to let a thread evolve a bit between a couple of players if possible, so I can identify key points that multiple players address. I redirected you to the post I linked because the first point you made was the basis of the linked conversation -- Sorry if I misunderstood the point you were making!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll be sure to make a few notes. Jeremy and/or Melody will have a look at your bug report =)

Archived