Lost Save Game

Had a crash the last time I was playing, and now my save is gone. The data is still in the /save001 folder, but there's nothing in /autosave. For fun, I tried putting my save data into the /autosave folder, but when I pressed load it cleared all the data that was in there.

I've copied and set aside both folders, and the user001 file, and the log.

The crash was a hard freeze that my computer's been having recently in all games (the gpu is dying), where the screen freezes and the computer needs a hard reset. I can't imagine that's good for the in process game files.

This game is amazing, by the way.

As far as I know a savegame when exited normaly consists of an empty "autosave" folder and all your data in the "save001" folder.

Did you expect to recover to the last automatic save? (e.g. when entering a building)

I think loading the last normaly saved progress should work with the data you have.

I did try verifying game cache, apologies, should have mentioned full order of things in original post:

Playing game, crashed, restarted. Booted game, nothing happens with load game button, quit game and looked it up on these forums, verified game cache on steam, booted game, nothing happens with load game button (same behavior as when there's no game to load), quit game, copied out save folders and logs to another location, attempted copying save into autosave, booted game, nothing happened, quit. Cleared autosave folder back to empty, booted and tried a bunch more times, had a good cry, felt better, made this post.

I've since started new games, but I was just hitting a good stride in that one and would love to be able to continue the story.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem with the game crashing during a save and starting from the beginning.  Where would the save001 folder be located?  Not sure what would cause the game to freeze to do a hard reset either.  Any help would be appreciated.

If you have no data when you reboot, the save didn't occur because of the crash. When you encounter this crash again could I get you to attach your logs so we can look into why it's crashing? This needs to be done before the game is restarted. 

This link will tell you how to grab your logs: 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived