Brightness settings in Options > Display

wyrdsmyth

I have an aging Macbook Pro that I like to stream The Long Dark on from my desktop via Steam (it cannot run The Long Dark natively due to OS & hardware limitations). However, the screen is a bit dim on the Macbook, therefore it is impossible to see inside interiors at night without using a lantern or some other light source. It is also nearly impossible to see anything except what is immediately near me by lantern light while I am outdoors at night.

When I play at my desktop, I can get away with not using a light source due to the brightness of my new monitor, which allows me to see just enough in the darkened interiors to be able to move around without getting stuck. I can also navigate outdoors without too much trouble, though it is much harder to spot an approaching wolf than it is during the day.

If there was a Display option to change screen brightness, I could adjust this on the Macbook so that it would be possible to see better in darkened interiors. However, this could be exploited by players who want to be able to see clearly at night, and in that regard I completely understand if the devs do not want to implement a brightness setting.

I think that was the point. You say it is impossible to see without a light source, which is what I think the developers were going for. But, I do agree there should be an option for that because the even with the light sources it can be a bit too dark.

I think that was the point. You say it is impossible to see without a light source, which is what I think the developers were going for. But, I do agree there should be an option for that because the even with the light sources it can be a bit too dark.

My point was that with newer hardware that have brighter screens, I can see in the dark. It's not enough to clearly see everything in darkened spaces, and if I was looking for loot I'd still want to use a lantern, torch or flare, but for the purposes of navigating around without bumping into walls and/or getting stuck on doorways or looking at the floor/ceiling, I can see.

On old hardware at night, the screen is pitch black. On new hardware at night, the screen is dark, but with clearly defined rooms, furniture and doorways.

You could set you macbook's gamma to 2.2 instead of the 1.8 it shipped with...

Google it to see how as it varies with the flavour of your OSX install.

It used to be easy, but Apple loves to hide stuff now.

You could just grab a huge CRT monitor for free off Craigslist and set the brightness on the fly.

You could set you macbook's gamma to 2.2 instead of the 1.8 it shipped with...

I just gave that a shot - I've been using the "Color LCD" profile, switching that to 2.2 makes things stand out and appear sharper (though not necessarily brighter). I'm going to see how that helps the game. Thanks!

Archived