Has anyone drawn a map?

ryan_leonard

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll be tackling some of that in the weeks and months ahead. :)

Months? Months!!? I was hoping for a September release!

:mrgreen:

For what ?? are you waiting for ?? Raph quoted weeks and months ahead, on the 1st Aug, so technically it is Months ahead now, but still the question stands, what are you waiting for release ??

There is already a map .. . .

I have drawn a map myself so I can figure stuff out.

I would not mind a discovery map ingame itself,

but of course it should be made with the paper and charcoal we find in the game :)

(and perhaps a manual action to "draw" it on the paper :) )

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I thoroughly believe that there should not be a map. There is a powerful moment when you're able to navigate the map based on your knowledge of locations. The feeling I had when I realized I could follow the train tracks to the dam was rewarding in a way that a map would destroy. Not only that, but exploration in the wilderness would become much less dangerous in terms of getting lost. If you have a map that definitely tells you where something is in relation to a different location, it limits player discovery. I think one thing that makes The Long Dark special is the way it avoids holding your hand, but the way it does so fairly. If the game world is going to be way larger than the sandbox area, than maybe a map is necessary, but the way I'd do it is by having maps around in certain buildings, and they'd be limited ones at that. Or give the player an option to make their own map in game, allowing them to screw it up so they could have more of that discovery. I honestly love not having a map right now because it makes finding places like the Trapper's Hoemstead a powerful moment. I was, for all intents and purposes, lost and most definitely going to die soon when I stumbled upon the Homestead, saving me. It also helps makes the game feel manors Jack London than it would with a map.

(and perhaps a manual action to "draw" it on the paper :) )

How many calories will that cost? ;)

I came across that other person's map (along with a full play-through guide/FAQ) while perusing some of the reviews on the Steam page last night. At first, I was happy to see it. Then, I decided I didn't want to look at the map only because I wanted to have the pleasure of discovering those places on my own.

I had been toying with the idea of drawing a map myself, though, as I discovered these places for my own reference. So far, I've only been able to play in small chunks of time (like 30 minutes at a stretch) which means that I am constantly "restarting" from my last save. It was pretty cool yesterday when I loaded the save and stepped out of the camp office in the morning to find ... FOG. Holy cow! That was nerve-wracking walking across the lake through fog. I kept expecting a wolf to come out of nowhere and take me out.

It is a bit ridiculous to say that there should be no map for everyone because you, personally, don't want to use a map. The solution is to not use it. Although if you were actually in this situation and you refused to use a map because you think you are too cool, then you are a fool! [Added bonus that it rhymed].

I also think it is unrealistic that there would not be a detailed reference map in the forestry lookout station and at the camp office. I do like the idea of having finding a map of the area but it should be possible to make a map that only includes the area's that you have explored which would be the natural thing to do. I don't think there should be a hud that tells you exactly where you are but if there is one, it should be possible to disable it.

With regard to the difficulty of games - this short

by Dara O Brian should be watched. Something for hinterland to consider.

It is a bit ridiculous to say that there should be no map for everyone because you, personally, don't want to use a map. The solution is to not use it. Although if you were actually in this situation and you refused to use a map because you think you are too cool, then you are a fool! [Added bonus that it rhymed].

I also think it is unrealistic that there would not be a detailed reference map in the forestry lookout station and at the camp office. I do like the idea of having finding a map of the area but it should be possible to make a map that only includes the area's that you have explored which would be the natural thing to do. I don't think there should be a hud that tells you exactly where you are but if there is one, it should be possible to disable it.

With regard to the difficulty of games - this short

by Dara O Brian should be watched. Something for hinterland to consider.

The best thing about this game is the very lack of knowledge a person has when they are going through it. The sandbox we have now has no win condition. You are going to die. The only question is when. When it's dark and you can't find your way because you get confused by lack of landmarks, that's the way it should be. Hopefully, when they put the map in, it doesn't show where you are on the map. Just a general overview anyone could sketch after they have been there.

Perhaps, they can put in an easy mode with the story portion of the game, where people can play through without really having to apply themselves.

Silverback, the point of not having a map is not about being "cool" it's about the sense of discovery and player accomplishment that not having one provides. My coming comparison can only go so far, even so, I'm still going to use it. I'd say the lack of map is similar to Dark Souls in the way that it forces the player to remember where everything is, and that forces the player to become familiar with the game in an intimate way that having a map removes. Theoretically, having a map option sounds good, but the game would then suffer from a development standpoint. The implementation of a map would then change the way the devs make the game. In one scenario, there is a map option. Because of this, the devs can afford to design the rest of the world less carefully than they would before. This makes the whole game experience suffer. In scenario two, there is no map, and as a result, the devs know they have to craft the world extremely well so the player can navigate it based on landmarks and knowledge alone. In scenario three, there is a map option and the devs craft the world extremely well anyways. However, this map option then becomes a major crutch that new players can lean on, which will damage their experience with the game overall. I was in favor of having a map when I first started playing, but after putting in eleven hours, I know my way around the world extremely well, and I'm glad no map was available. With a map, exploration would have been a lot less rewarding. The way I explored in the absence of a map was wonderful. I remembered areas I had been to, and remembered paths that might lead somewhere else, and it greatly increased my immersion in the world.

The deadset easiest way to find the trappers homestead is just follow the train tracks to the collapsed tunnel, then turn right at the collapsed tunnel and follow the rock wall around to the left, it goes around and comes up over a ridge then the trappers homestead is straight on dead easy to find.

I was able to find my way back after a trek for supplies and got caught in a whiteout on the way back to the trappers homestead, had to go get a crowbar to get the locker open. Then as luck, or unlucky would have it, the trappers locker had a scarf and a candy bar and thats it... Dang it!

I like the idea of a gameplay added map, like the strategy games with a map and most of it is black until you explore that area, in other words if you haven't explored it you can't see it. Like the 7 days to die map, you have to explore the area to open up the map coverage. That way you still have to explore to find stuff and still plenty of chances for error while exploring into the unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

Here i found a map ;)

Download it or view it here: [link removed by admin] (mediafire link)

Sry for advertising.

ADMIN NOTE: Final warning - The link has been removed as it is associated with a spam paid-link service. Please do not repost links from that service, or any other spam systems.

Well, I hope I'm not misquoting anyone, but I think I've heard someone from Hinterland Studios say, that the new map won't restrict players as much as the Mystery Lake map does. If this is true, then get yourself some energy drinks, since this may easily be a task that will use up an entire day. :P

Updated with

• Maxs last stand
  • river north access
  • all possible bunker locations. Secound hand info from

• rounded some of the sharper edges

If someone who knows the bunker spawn locations well could take a look and make sure what I listed is accurate I would appreciate it.

If I get really motivated I might add wild life spawns and shaded relief but that probably wont happen.

Full size image link http://s26.postimg.org/rb1l0396f/Long_d ... sion_2.jpg

Long_dark_map_revision_2.jpg

Here's a list of all bunker locations made by Trandor.

Bunker Locations:

1: Above Mystery Lake: 1635 / 637 Steady

2: Behind Mystery Lake: 1172 / -72 Wolf_Tonic aka Wolfie

3: Near Camp Office: 734 / 441 squashed

4: Near Unnamed Pond: -41 / 606 TarjaS

5: Behind Lone Cabin: 8 / 1242 TiuFenris

6: Abobe Clearcut: -46 / 1615 Lordmastergaming

7: Above Clearcut II: -79 / 1655 Devil's Rejected

8: Near Logging Camp: 1312 / 1562 J-Money

9: Near Train Loading Area: 1305 / 1031 Infamous Pirate Nermal

And a video he made of all locations:

Thanks @Trandor!