One knife hit?

wyrdsmyth

I'm on day 50 in voyageur and doing fine. I'm wearing all wool under garments and all crafted outer garments, bearskin bedroll, bow and six arrows, living out of one of the coastal highway houses. I just unlocked the wrapped in furs achievement. My refrigerator is full of wolf and venison steaks, I have a backup rifle in 100% condition with thirty rounds of ammo stored for when I run out of arrows, a backup set of found clothing should anything happen to what I'm currently wearing, several toolboxes, tools and bits of scrap metal, and two cupboards full of non-perishable goods. I decided to hike toward the Bear Creek park area in search of birch saplings and crow feathers, following the road to pry open any trunks of cars I had missed earlier, and on the way a wolf decided to attack me, taking its time at first, then completely ignoring the venison I dropped and knocking me down before I had time to draw my bow.

Every time I get jumped like that my brain doesn't remember what to do because I'm now in panic mode, so I just start clicking the mouse furiously, and I managed to get a single strike with my knife causing it to run off, blood everywhere. I was at 93% condition at that point, and did not even need to use a bandage. I dusted myself off, grabbed my venison, pulled out the bow and followed the trail, but it was snowing and it quickly disappeared from view. I decided to then head inside the nearest building and sleep it off till my condition was 100% again.

Yep, those pooches think they are all black n bad until they find out you got a fang too ;)

Your doing well, only got deer pants, boots and rabbit mitts, x4 wolf skins still curing plus need to bring down another bear to make x2 pelts. Wasted 3 rounds on a bear that didn't eventuate, last 3 too, out into the cold I go.

Thanks! I replicated the one knife hit again, this time it was a wolf that immediately left its freshly killed rabbit to attack and again it ignored my lure. Again I rapidly mashed left and right mouse buttons, and it ran off across the thin ice when I was at 91% condition, my gear barely damaged. Pretty sure it died on the thin ice too, but i didn't go check.

Good luck with your gear, I hope you can find more ammo or bow and arrow materials. Even though it is harder to hit a moving target, I like how the bow weighs less and you can reuse an arrow about 4 times before it breaks. Even if it does, you can recycle the arrowhead and feathers.

Sounds like your thriving. If you can manage to keep up your one hit routine, I'd mighty curious how.

I'm guessing your in the Valley. Did you start there?

I picked "random map" when I launched this particular game session, and it started me off in Pleasant Valley by the Derelict Cabins. I made my base at the Pleasant Valley Homestead and did extremely well there, finding my first rifle (with ammo) in the Signal Hill radio building and a second one by a frozen man in a barn midway between the Pleasant Valley Homestead and the Three Strikes Homestead. I eventually moved on to Coastal Highway after having survived for about 30 days once I had a wolf skin coat, deer skin pants and boots and rabbit fur mittens. My primary reason for the transition was a shortage of found sewing kits (and coffee). I only just now found out that there are prepper caches in Pleasant Valley, so I'm wondering how long before I head back that way.

This morning I had survived for 60 days, roughly 30 in the Coastal Highway region with my base in a lakeside house across the road from the Quonset Gas Station. Even though I didn't necessarily need to, I transitioned to Mystery Lake and made it all the way to the Camp Office, encountering only two wolves on the way (avoiding one and shooting the other with an arrow). I ended up passing up a bunch of loot on the way to the office because I was already encumbered by what I had picked up in The Ravine, so during my next play session I need to unload and go back for it (after I recover the wolf pelt and meat). Even though a lot of people think it's not the most ideal location, I'm planning on establishing my base at the Trapper's Homestead, and stocking up the other locations with extra wood and supplies as I gather them. Then I'll turn my attention to Fluffy, and the Mystery Lake prepper's cache.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived