Need more storage in Mystery Lake map

Denyo

Hey,guys. :) Some time I was wondering,where should I put this topic and at the end I decided to post it under Feedback section,as this storage need is really more need than just a wish.

I started new run in CH map and then moved to ML.I did not transfer much looted stuff from CH,but only those really necessary ones.As ussuall,I set my base at Camp Office.I wanted to make base at Trapper`s at first,but as I had no bear there spawned nearby,I choosed Camp Office.

As I had already clothes made from animal skin and after I looted some places on map,as well went hunting for food,I realised very soon I was soon out of storage room for my stuff.And,especially,if I hunt a bear,there is really not enough room to stash all that meat,beside all other looted stuff and items.I know,many of you will say that we can just drop stuff on the floor,but for two reasons that is not the right solution.First thing is,that stuff,dropped on the floor,decay faster than those,stored in drawers,lockers,boxes,etc.Other thing is....well,I really want to play game propietly and I am completely inside it,when I play it.It is just strange feeling to have things laying on the floor,and I like to have order and systematic layout.

I already talk with Majales about that and he completely agree,that we need more storage room in ML buildings,that goes for Camp Office and Trapper`s Homestead.It would be great,if there would be second locker at Trapper`s(which adds 30kg more storrage) and two lockers at Camp Office.Even better solution would be,if you place a closet inside those two buildings.At Trapper`s closet could be placed beside safe,instead those two small letterboxes,at Camp Office perfect place for closet is next to those two drawers upstairs,instead that useless shelves.

I really hope you guys in team will reconsider this idea.Or maybe you already have that add planned in future updates,well,that is what I don`t know.I am sure,that with more expansive of sandbox,there will be also more and more stuff to loot or gather,so really...more storage room will be needed.

I disagree, there's too much storage on other maps, not too little in ML. The camp office is good design because it's lacking in storage. With its more or less central location, at least 4 ways to reach it so avoiding wolves is a non-isue, effortless fishing and hunting in the area, 60kgs worth of extra storage would make it a joke.

If adding more storage would really bring to make survival so much easyer,then ok.Me,personally,highly doubt that.

Not adding storage in the abstract makes it easier, the place makes all the difference. Adding three lockers to the forestry lookout would not make the game easier, adding two in the camp office would.

On other hand,I was not talking ONLY about meat,but about all other items.With expanding of maps and transition areas,as well adding more tools and stuff,it is normal that stacked amount of items will increase.So,it is totaly normal,that with expanding of amount of sources,storage upgrades.That happens also in real life. ;):)

I wasn't talking only about meat either ;) all I said I did taking into consideration what I quoted and I still stand by my opinion. We'll see what happens with further passes on the interiors. Maybe survivor AIs will change how we see the game if they can loot our tasty meats and furs while we're away ;)

Hmm, personally I think the storage is OK. I like that you have to really organize, e.g. in Camp Office. Here I have all wood/tinder lying on the floor next to the upstairs stove. All crafting items and tools downstairs, some on the floor.

When it comes to the food, I agree that the 30kg+ from a bear is a lot of food, especially when you have 10kg of venison already stored away. But thats just an issue of applying a "catch only what you need" mentality.

Although if they upped the calorie density of the meat to more realistic values, this storage issue would be negated to some extent. You can see what I mean in my thread here Feedback on calorie density of food!

I've only played the Lake so far, but I find the storage to be fine. You don't need to store larger quantities of anything unless you're really trying to dig in for whatever reason. Might be different for you guys because every time I go somewhere I'm just hoping that I find something that hasn't been discovered yet so I take a more minimalistic approach. I tend to like the Trapper's Homestead as my Base of Ops, and I've yet to run into a "true" storage issue. The only problem was when I did it at first and I had 2 deer worth of meat and decided to kill a Bear just for giggles. The way that I play, I'm not rebuilding a city, but rather trying to find my way out. I don't stay any one place too long so storage isn't a problem. However, my understanding is that if you're trying to hole up, a minimalist approach would be ideal since all of the buildings you come across are relatively small.

That said, more storage at the Homestead or the Dam, if you're brave enough to make that your hole would be fine since they're further out of the way. More storage at the Camp Office which is a more centralized hole would be a bad thing. As said earlier in the thread though, you can get by just leaving wood on the floor and leaving tools wherever.

Ok...untill now I had read here replies only from players,who had runs for short range,so your oppinion is based on your short terms of survival,and probably also on playing middle difficulty(Voyageur mode). Now I would like to read also oppinions from players,who-like me-play hardest difficulty(Stalker mode) and had survived 300-500+ days. ;)

I for one didn't mention difficulty and number of days so I don't see why you bring it up and make an assumption. Mmm, seems you are throwing a red herring in so I feel the need to step in and eat it before someone else does. The game does not have a problem with storage; how some players play influences how much storage is a problem in the game.

Because I have the luxury of not being tied down to a single save file I can say that you could prove this assumption of yours wrong by starting a game on Pilgrim and looting everything in all maps as fast as possible while killing everything that moves. Then tell me storage is a bigger problem in long-term Stalker.

Difficulty and number of days has nothing to do with storage, let’s not get confused, it all comes down to how you play the game and how enthusiastic you are about making a massive mound of supplies for yourself you can then look at and admire.

The most I would ask for is some storage in less commonly used buildings. For example the Forestry Lookout in Mystery Lake. Personally I like the location, and the ability to see outdoors (wish the lookout in Coastal could be used too), but the best I get for storage is the medicine box and a single container if lucky. Would be great if there was a locker or two, and the Metal Container wasn't random, but always their, with the odd chance of a backpack, or extra container. Honestly though, places like the Camp Office and Trappers always worked fine for me. The Camping Office has the Dresser with 2 drawers, the cupboard near one of the bunks, the filing cabinet, workbench drawer, medicine cabinet and chance of a body which all gave me a lot of storage to keep clothing, food, medicine, etc etc etc. The body creeps me out though, lol.

Edit: I would love if there was the ability to put a rifle on gun racks found at places like the lookout too.

Edit 2: Another reason I don't think more storage would be needed for the Camp Office is the fact that you have a rabbit spawn and fishing hut relatively close, so mass storage for food really isn't needed when you can collect loads of it everyday with ease.

Edit 3: After reading more comments. I only play stalker, I have not live 300-500 days simply because I find the game gets too easy, to the point I sit around with tons of supplies and nothing to do, so I either start new games or go out fighting wolves and stuff until I die. Tried several methods of trying to make the game harder, but I've survived living in fishing huts, caves, not using hatchets or knives, not using a rifle, and so on. In all honesty though, I don't see why this holds any merit to the discussion of storage. Everyone's opinions are valid and welcome in my eyes. To be honest though Denyo, I get the impression based on your comments, that you want more storage simply for hibernation purposes to reach higher levels on the leaderboards.

The most I would ask for is some storage in less commonly used buildings. For example the Forestry Lookout in Mystery Lake. Personally I like the location, and the ability to see outdoors (wish the lookout in Coastal could be used too), but the best I get for storage is the medicine box and a single container if lucky. Would be great if there was a locker or two, and the Metal Container wasn't random, but always their, with the odd chance of a backpack, or extra container. Honestly though, places like the Camp Office and Trappers always worked fine for me. The Camping Office has the Dresser with 2 drawers, the cupboard near one of the bunks, the filing cabinet, workbench drawer, medicine cabinet and chance of a body which all gave me a lot of storage to keep clothing, food, medicine, etc etc etc. The body creeps me out though, lol.

Edit: I would love if there was the ability to put a rifle on gun racks found at places like the lookout too.

Edit 2: Another reason I don't think more storage would be needed for the Camp Office is the fact that you have a rabbit spawn and fishing hut relatively close, so mass storage for food really isn't needed when you can collect loads of it everyday with ease.

Edit 3: After reading more comments. I only play stalker, I have not live 300-500 days simply because I find the game gets too easy, to the point I sit around with tons of supplies and nothing to do, so I either start new games or go out fighting wolves and stuff until I die. Tried several methods of trying to make the game harder, but I've survived living in fishing huts, caves, not using hatchets or knives, not using a rifle, and so on. In all honesty though, I don't see why this holds any merit to the discussion of storage. Everyone's opinions are valid and welcome in my eyes. To be honest though Denyo, I get the impression based on your comments, that you want more storage simply for hibernation purposes to reach higher levels on the leaderboards.

Your impressions are wrong.I DO NEVER EVER EVER HIBERNATE!!!!!!!!! I AM STRONGLY AGAINST THAT!!!!!!!! Sorry,but accusing me to using hibernation and to care for that shity leaderboards really makes me get high pressure.And I was just saying for add one more locker,so that there would be two lockers or one closet,with capacity of 40kg.I didn`t ask for massive add of storage,as you claim.Please,read literarly,what I write.!!

I did not accuse, nor am I trying to imply that you do for a fact, I'm simply stating that's the impression I got. Secondly, I understand that English is likely not your primary language, but before you take a comment personal, perhaps try and understand it "literally" as you so blatantly want to say to me. That being said, I don't think this topic should be closed, it is a valuable concept to give feedback on, and I would like to hear everyone's feedback personally.

Edit: I also did not "claim" you were asking for massive storage. But in all honesty, even 40kg is a massive upgrade in storage if you do want my opinion.

I apologize for being part of this thread if I am such a big concern and if I have upset you Denyo, I apologize.

I’m active on the forums because I thought feedback is welcome, including saying what you don’t agree with. If sticking my nose in almost every thread ruins the experience on the forums, I can always be banned.

If you're not hibernating then I'm not sure how the current storage is inadequate?

How much food do you need to store? You can leave pelts/guts/etc on the floor along with wood and excess clothing, I only use storage for food/water/consumables. Things like Wood (which is one of the heaviest things in the game) there is no need to stockpile because you can simply forage for more if you run low.

I'm not sure how much storage you're thinking you need, especially at the camp office, where if you're in a daily routine, you can easily gather enough food/water/wood in one warmer day to last you 3 or 4 days and then do it all over again. As it stands in Alpha, there's a saturation point where your survival just becomes another daily routine. I believe the storage is adequate, as do many others in this thread. We're not personally attacking you, just offering a differing perspective on the issue at hand.

I apologize for being part of this thread if I am such a big concern and if I have upset you Denyo, I apologize.

I’m active on the forums because I thought feedback is welcome, including saying what you don’t agree with. If sticking my nose in almost every thread ruins the experience on the forums, I can always be banned.

You said nothing wrong from what I can see. I think it all comes down to misinterpretation of heated debate is all. You've disagreed with me on a few occasions on here, I've never taken it as a personal attack towards me. Sometimes you shed light on views or ideas I overlooked, sometimes I don't agree with a damn thing you say, but it doesn't mean that the input is any less valuable.

If you're not hibernating then I'm not sure how the current storage is inadequate?

How much food do you need to store? You can leave pelts/guts/etc on the floor along with wood and excess clothing, I only use storage for food/water/consumables. Things like Wood (which is one of the heaviest things in the game) there is no need to stockpile because you can simply forage for more if you run low.

I'm not sure how much storage you're thinking you need, especially at the camp office, where if you're in a daily routine, you can easily gather enough food/water/wood in one warmer day to last you 3 or 4 days and then do it all over again. As it stands in Alpha, there's a saturation point where your survival just becomes another daily routine. I believe the storage is adequate, as do many others in this thread. We're not personally attacking you, just offering a differing perspective on the issue at hand.

That was somewhat my view. Although I do store a lot of things other then food, I find the only time storage becomes an issue is if you don't break down items for lighter weight materials. Heavy clothing, toolkits, extra hatchets and knives, rifles and so on. Personally, when I obtain extras of things, I harvest them for materials and store the materials easier. This may have more effects really late game from degradation, but this only becomes an issue if you continuously collect supplies without needing too. Instead avoiding collecting too much would help extend the life of objects since they don't begin to degrade until you first find them, or at least that's how I think it works.

^ To build on the above. Storage addition could be an end-game thing. Once you're holed in and you find yourself with a ton of scrap material, there could be an option at the workbench for a "toolbox" or a "crude metal container" where you're not necessarily adding a ton of storage, but maybe an extra 20kg, the downside would be that it is very supply intensive.

This could solve both the OP's issue, and not make us feel like the "survival" portion of this game is just to create your own wilderness escape. Possibly a compromise for both ends?

^ To build on the above. Storage addition could be an end-game thing. Once you're holed in and you find yourself with a ton of scrap material, there could be an option at the workbench for a "toolbox" or a "crude metal container" where you're not necessarily adding a ton of storage, but maybe an extra 20kg, the downside would be that it is very supply intensive.

This could solve both the OP's issue, and not make us feel like the "survival" portion of this game is just to create your own wilderness escape. Possibly a compromise for both ends?

That's actually something I had suggested elsewhere at some point in time, having the ability to use scrap metal to create small storage containers. Along with the ability to place objects like we can place lanterns. Also adds to giving some decoration, and making a place feel more homey.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5586&p=32946#p32947

I believe it's best if everyone calms down a bit here.. :?

Please honestly ask yourselves in which way more storage space would influence your gameplay. In my humble opinion, the effects would be quite little and can be boiled down to a more tidied up base.

Of course it's possible to leave guts, cloth, tools, water bottles (and whatever else you like) lying around on the floor, it doesn't have negative effects gameplay-wise.

I personally don't mind to have a lot of stuff lying around, but I DO understand that other players might prefer a neater base. That's nothing but personal taste and if Denyo prefers his stuff to be well stored instead of messy his suggestion is just fine.

Implying that he suggested these changes for hibernation purposes is, on the other hand, not polite. To say the very least. Plus, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense imo because of two things:

A) The devs already stated that they will prevent hibernation by changing some game mechanics. It would be completely pointless to ask for means that make hibernation easier as it's (thank goodness!) going to be banned anyway.

B) Regardless how many storage space you have, your meat will most likely rot away anyway if you hibernate and kill more than one bear at once (not sure about that as I never hibernated, but even with an active playstyle I sometimes had to eat old bear meat with less than 30% condition left if I killed a bear while I still had 10-20kg of deer meat in stock).

So please everyone calm down a bit. Something as marginal as storage space is definitely no reason to be impolite towards each other or quit the forums. :(

I don't think anyone was being overly impolite, there was some obvious loss in translation in the early goings but I think we're good now. My main issue with more storage is atmosphere. Unless you're trying to domesticate Fluffy in the Dam on ML, the storage in game is more than adequate for the atmosphere of the game. It's not game breaking, but if you locate more storage in easily accessible places of the game, it ruins the "survival" atmosphere of the game, at least in my general opinion, which is worth no more than any one else's. By adding storage, you give people a reason to dig in and by doing that, they may lose out on the enjoyment aspect because by digging in, they're "beating the game". It's hard to vocalize it, because I can't speak for everyone, but if you're trying to create a man vs nature survival game, it seems counter-intuitive to give people a centralized base with more storage than they should realistically need.

I understand the desire to be "neat" and "tidy" but from the atmosphere of the game, it doesn't quite seem to fit to me.

It's not game breaking, but if you locate more storage in easily accessible places of the game, it ruins the "survival" atmosphere of the game, at least in my general opinion, which is worth no more than any one else's. By adding storage, you give people a reason to dig in and by doing that, they may lose out on the enjoyment aspect because by digging in, they're "beating the game". It's hard to vocalize it, because I can't speak for everyone, but if you're trying to create a man vs nature survival game, it seems counter-intuitive to give people a centralized base with more storage than they should realistically need.

Are you aware that atm people are (or better can be, not everyone plays like this ofc) digging in by simply dropping tons of tools, water bottles and everything else on the floor?^^

If someone wants to centralise everything and/or play "against the spirit of the game" you cannot stop them at all by limiting the storage space. ;)

Are you aware that atm people are (or better can be, not everyone plays like this ofc) digging in by simply dropping tons of tools, water bottles and everything else on the floor?^^

If someone wants to centralise everything and/or play "against the spirit of the game" you cannot stop them at all by limiting the storage space. ;)

I'm not saying you can't stop them, I'm saying that adding storage, simply for the sake of allowing people to live a clean, neat lifestyle goes against the grit and "survival" aspect of the game. It's not game breaking, I agree, it just feels for me that more readily available storage goes against the style of game that TLD is trying to be. As I said, I'm not opposed to player created storage, but I feel like it should be supply heavy to create, so if you for some reason absolutely NEED more storage, you can have it, but it'll potentially cost you repairing your pry-bar or hatchet. I think that is a solution which can stick to the gritty nature of survival, but still allow players to create storage if they really want it.

Offense was taken, not given, and saying that we were impolite without any logical reasoning behind it is imo, impolite.

Allright, I'm gonna whip my back with a cat o' nine tails saying "mea maxima culpa" at least 100 times! I suggest all of you guys join me and everyone in this thread receives absolution afterwards. ;)

Allright, I'm gonna whip my back with a cat o' nine tails saying "mea maxima culpa" at least 100 times! I suggest all of you guys join me and everyone in this thread receives absolution afterwards. ;)

Sounds good. I appreciate that you can acknowledge the misunderstanding. That being said, I'd still like to read peoples thoughts on the idea of extra storage, I do especially appreciate the idea from @BearyManilowe as I would love additional storage. If anyone is open to the idea, I'll post a link to my wishlist thread again if you want to add input in it.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5586&p=32946#p32947

If however the wish is not one the devs want to or have additional time to implement, I still think some additional storage in less commonly used buildings would be a good alternative. Providing more options for suitable living areas without the need of too many items on the ground. Needless to say, the floor in the Mystery Lake Lookout on my current save game is very unappealing. Doesn't need to be anything durastic, just one or two containers here and their.

Edit: I've removed my post directed at you Scyzara, figured no need to have it visible for others to possibly stir up future arguments. You may want to remove yours as well. Will make it easier for people to stay on topic.

As I've already stated, I dont feel like more storage is needed. However the ability to manually place items on tables etc. (as with the lantern mechanic) would make for a nicer atmosphere and ease storage, maybe enough to make people not feel the need for more containers?

As I've already stated, I dont feel like more storage is needed. However the ability to manually place items on tables etc. (as with the lantern mechanic) would make for a nicer atmosphere and ease storage, maybe enough to make people not feel the need for more containers?

It's something I'd love. I'm glad I can place lanterns, but I'd love to see that expanded for other items. Can be good for dealing with clutter, and even adding appeal to your place. Setting up a coffee, newspaper and book on a table. Putting can openers and food on counters. Sticking wood in boxes, or sewing kits, books, bottles etc on shelves. Would make me a happy camper. I'm also big on organization too, so it helps in that aspect.

Archived