Craftable Backpack and Dried Meats

jessrm89

There is little-to-no difference between a crafted backpack, and the backpack we presumably have already (look at the "background" of the inventory screen. You will see a rather large pack).

60-ish pounds (I changed my settings to Imperial) is a really heavy load to be carrying on your back to begin with, much less while trundling through snow and wearing three different layers of clothing. We don't need any higher carry-weight.

I do agree that we should be able to preserve meat, however, either through freezing ( Tie a rope/some cordage around the ankles of large game, or string small game together on the line, throw the other end of the line over a solid branch. Heave the load into the air, well away from the tree trunk. Next day, perfectly frozen meat that will last for months), or smoking.

For smoking, however, we need different "types" of wood. You don't want to use "softwood" in general, and resinous wood in particular, for smoking, as it tends to lend a rather nasty taste to the meat.

You want to use well-seasoned ("seasoned" in this instance, means wood that is well-dried) hardwood. In particular, birch is noted to be rather nice smoking wood, so long as it is VERY dry, and has the outer bark (which has oils in it, GREAT FOR FIRE STARTING -HINT HINT-) removed

I like the idea of curing meat, however I believe your in depth IRL wood requirements might be a bit high. Salt and smoke cured meat that would deteriorate much slower and be lighter at a calorie cost would be cool

There already is Birch in-game, both in "big tree" form and in saplings. Just add a third type of wood to forage for.

I am rather surprised that birch and its many uses havent been added already. It is a rather important tree for survival purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
Stitch some cured deer hides together = + 10 carry weight?

Ability to preserve meat via drying or salting?

Pleaaaaaase? :D

Preserving meat would be a HUGE benefit. I took down a bear and a deer within a few minutes of each other and suddenly found myself with about 40kg of meat. It's only been a few days so most of my meat is still good... but I can't eat it fast enough! It's absolutely devastating to know I won't be able to eat all of this meat in time and just have to slowly watch it spoil while I try to eat every time my calories drop below 1600. I'd like to see a better drying system in general (somehow I doubt just throwing a bunch of hide cut from a deer carcass into a corner would actually turn it into usable tanned hide, same thing with guts). You could hang it from a homemade wooden stand or a tree or laundry strings or whatever and let it sit for the required three days. Of course in reality, hanging meat would attract some hungry predators, so it could turn into a challenge.

As for the backpack, sadly making new backpacks doesn't DECREASE weight. But it might be interesting if we could have multiple backpacks that we could store in various buildings.

I'm afraid I can't see any backpack tweaks as we can carry anything and all it does is slow us down and no backpack can change the weight of anything.

Now this meat preserving, that's great. Especially when using multiple safe houses. :D

Again, +1 to any way we can preserve meat/fish: smoke, salt, cold hang, whatever. I could easily see taking some of the small cabin around in the game and turning them into a curing house. Use gut for line, loop it though the tendons in their feet and hang from the rafters. You could do the same thing with fish, except through the gills.

Archived