A couple thoughts after first play

subject 117

I bought this after the free preview on Xbox One. This Alpha build is awesome.

It seems I've barely scratched the surface here, but I encountered a few things that took me out of the game.

1) Locking onto some items requires a lot more precision than should be required. It's frustrating when I'm battling the clock because it's not a game or skill element, it's a control issue.

2) There's a door at the dam facility that I wasn't sure about going through to the outside. I went through and was locked out. I would have held the door open if I could have, but there was no option. It closed behind me. This is not a linear game, so I don't understand not being able to keep the door open. I reloaded my save and had to go back quite a distance, which brings up my last (for now) issue...

3) Am I missing something? Are the only options to save either the auto-save or resting? Resting isn't always the best option depending on your condition. I want to be able to save and quit in a convenient manner.

That said, this is an awesome idea for a game. I died a few times and always "spawned" in a new place for the next game. Cool! This is the kind of game I have been looking for. It's beautiful and challenging. I can't wait until I get deeper in. After reading posts about lengthy survivals, I'm excited.

I'm not sure about the answer to your first question as I use keyboard and mouse, but the other two things are the way they are for specific reasons.

2) The door closes behind you purposely to add an extra element of risk to the game. Once you go through, you can't go back in (at least, not the same way). Sure, someone might prop the door in real life, but I'm guessing the devs are trying to simulate the very plausible "oh shit" moment that we've all had when closing a locked door (e.g., like locking your keys in the car, locking yourself outside of the house, etc.). It makes the first time you go through the door more exciting. It also makes the player think more carefully when entering the door subsequent times.

3) No, you're not missing anything with the game saves. I remember reading somewhere that the devs didn't want players to be able to just constantly save the game and reload it after every little mistake. Your decision to quit and reload carried heavy consequences and the devs did this by design. In short, it seems like the devs want you to live with your decisions.

One last thing: The game saves every time you enter a building (not exit) and every time you sleep. So if you use your sleeping bag to sleep for, say, 1 hour then you'll be able to effectively save it on demand.

1) Locking onto some items requires a lot more precision than should be required. It's frustrating when I'm battling the clock because it's not a game or skill element, it's a control issue.

They're always tuning things, so it may improve as they closer near the end in development

2) There's a door at the dam facility that I wasn't sure about going through to the outside. I went through and was locked out. I would have held the door open if I could have, but there was no option. It closed behind me. This is not a linear game, so I don't understand not being able to keep the door open. I reloaded my save and had to go back quite a distance, which brings up my last (for now) issue...

That's by design - there's another way back in from the transition map ;)

3) Am I missing something? Are the only options to save either the auto-save or resting? Resting isn't always the best option depending on your condition. I want to be able to save and quit in a convenient manner.

Currently sandbox mode is permadeath, and the game only autosaves entering loadable buildings, sleeping, and when injured... They may change or add save features further along...

Perma-death is understandable and okay. I guess I could live with a "suspend" option like the old Shining Force series used.

I still disagree about the door. It doesn't add realism to the game. I wouldn't walk through a door, let it slam behind me, and then say "oh sh!t." I'd make sure it couldn't close or at least that I could open it again. It makes it more like a game than a sim. This isn't Resident Evil.

It doesn't want to be a sim :?

I guess my opinion is when a game does things like "perma-death" it leans more toward a sim. If I can play for 15 hours, take a fall and die, and it's over, to me it's more like a sim. (Before anybody gets upset about my point of view, I'm not complaining! I like the game.)

I just think if it leans in a sim direction, and critical mistakes can be made by the player, the player ought to have more control when simply going through a door.

People do make mistakes in real life, and sometimes lock themselves out of places, however I understand the OP's point of view on the topic. In real life occasions I often ensure a door is unlocked, or pry it open if it can't be unlocked under certain situations. Thus in a situation like this, where every action is life or death, it would be something a person would do, or at least a person like me, or the OP. That being said, I don't have an issue with the door myself.

@subject 117

Not sure if you've become aware of it yet, but there is a way back in, not far away. Hopefully knowing that will be helpful in the future.

Archived