Hallucinations, sharpening, crafting recipes and more

fallenfox

Sorry for the long list, I've been playing this game for a long time and lurking on this forum. Finally took the splash to register.

Hallucinations/thief/panic attacks

I find that after the first week or two, survival becomes easy. One has found all the essential tools and one has a great set of clothing. So how does one make it more challenging once you get over the initial challenge?

I was thinking after a few weeks in the loneliness might get to you for awhile and you might start hallucinating. Shadows in the darkness, auditory hallucinations etc. It would add some realism. Also, what if the furniture *moved* after returning to a place after a long time? What if your stash was emptied out across the floor or somewhere nearby outside? Nothing would be missing or harmed, but it would unsettling and add to the game experience.

Also, I've been attacked by wolves in certain areas multiple times, I have developed a small panic attack when I have to go through these areas, it would be interesting if the in game character would occasionally just get too scared to pass through certain areas of the map from anxiety when they're tired or not well armed.

Sharpening tools

Using scrap metal to fix hatchets and knives is bothering me. Can we have a couple of sharpening tools for them? A wet stone or a wheel grinder? Preferably nothing you can carry so that occasionally you need to make an epic journey to sharpen you tools. But maybe have a simple sharpening tool like a butcher has that degrades quickly that you can carry or only sharpens a certain amount?

Spear

A simple spear to frighten away bears or wolves would be a nice crafting recipe.

Cranny building

Being able to build a small cranny in a random rockface or a hollow tree could be interesting, maybe more useful in single player campaign?

Wilderness

Have a new region that's devoid of buildings, it's just wilderness, pure wilderness. Because after about 50 days I'm itching for a challenge or a purpose. Maybe have it as an very large transition zone to get to another place that would be awesome or essential to the plot? But the whole point is that you need time to build yourself up supply wise to survive such a region, you can't just spawn there and hope to survive.

Eagles

I think they would be pretty and cool, just to randomly have an eagle pass by from time to time. Simply aesthetics.

Birds' nests

Find birds' nests in rocks and trees to collect the eggs to cook or eat raw. Use the nests for tinder?

Tracking skill

Tracking wounded animals is hard. Having a tracking skill that improves the further you follow a blood trail might be good. The higher the skill the easier it becomes to see the blood and the longer the footprints and blood trail remain visible. Maybe even allow one to see wolf-eyes from a greater distance at night?

Crafting recipes

You already have books, but how about finding occasional books that actually teach you how to make the recipes? I find the crafting table once secured is a huge aid to survival. It shouldn't be such a massive boon right away, instead start the game knowing a handful of random recipes and then later on learn the others by finding them in books and pamphlets.

Wards/barriers

I like the caves, and sometimes I think if I could only build a fence or spiky barrier at the front of them to reduce the chance of being attacked by a wolf in the night.

Foxes and holes in buildings

Apart from making fox hats and scarves (lol) they could sneak into buildings and steal guts and pelts while they are curing - until one finds the holes they got in by and boards them up with reclaimed wood.

Also, what if the furniture *moved* after returning to a place after a long time? What if your stash was emptied out across the floor or somewhere nearby outside? Nothing would be missing or harmed, but it would unsettling and add to the game experience.

And have no logical explanation. Wait until survivor AIs get added, if they'll be able to loot interiors, there you go, problem solved.

Also, I've been attacked by wolves in certain areas multiple times, I have developed a small panic attack when I have to go through these areas, it would be interesting if the in game character would occasionally just get too scared to pass through certain areas of the map from anxiety when they're tired or not well armed.

Take control away from the player, not a good idea. I would however +1 a reaction to being around and/or fighting wolves. Tunnel vision, shaking, hearing loss.

Hallucinations/thief/panic attacks

I was thinking after a few weeks in the loneliness might get to you for awhile and you might start hallucinating. Shadows in the darkness, auditory hallucinations etc. It would add some realism. Also, what if the furniture *moved* after returning to a place after a long time? What if your stash was emptied out across the floor or somewhere nearby outside? Nothing would be missing or harmed, but it would unsettling and add to the game experience.

Walking in the woods at dusk, with too much weight and fighting fatigue this thought also occurred to me. I crawled looking in ever direction constantly looking for the motion of wolves. I like the styled realism of the game, moving furniture might be a bit much. Certainly a dark shadow of blob of movement form the side a tree. Kinda like a ghost... Not an actual ghost, but the slight shape of something. On the outer side(s) of the screen. When turning and focusing on it, its gone. Something in the corner of the eye experience.

"Wait until survivor AIs get added" - octavian_os

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about survivor AIs, simply because I really enjoy the isolation in the game. Sometimes I wish my character would react to finding corpses a bit more realistically, being shocked and horrified the first few times, then just getting over it. Maybe even recognising one of them as "the co-pilot" of the plane or something.

That said, this gave me an idea, what if at the end of that long wilderness section I mentioned in my OP there was a survivor NPC who would trade things like arrows, furs and meat for scrap metal, fire starters, ammunition and other materials that can't be replaced otherwise?

"When turning and focusing on it, its gone." - Random Fires

I already have this experience when playing, the number of times I've jumped at a slither of rock that looked like a wolf or a bear... maybe just put in some oddly shaped trees and rocks that one could easily confuse with something else?

"Welcome to the forums" - Bethany

Thank you! Pleased to be here!

"Only scrap metal taken from another rifle can be used to fix a rifle." - Boston123

I thought about this too, but decided it was realistic because plenty of home-made firearms are made out of bits of scrap metal and continue to work. I figure that this is what it happening to the rifle.

Although, since we got bows, I've just been using the rifle until I've finished crafting a bow. I'm saving my ammo for bear hunting.

"that kinda sums up what could be added and whatnot" - TheSgtPepper999

Yay! I'm not alone!

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about survivor AIs, simply because I really enjoy the isolation in the game.

Well we have no idea at this point, I see no reason for them to be implemented, radio too, in a simple-minded way. They wouldn't go against what the game tries so hard to establish, else it would be ridiculous :lol:

Sometimes I wish my character would react to finding corpses a bit more realistically, being shocked and horrified the first few times, then just getting over it. Maybe even recognising one of them as "the co-pilot" of the plane or something.

I don't, the character is your vessel, not your split personality. Having them speak or react in any way is a simple-minded approach, I guess because most players expect this from video games. You can't help your stomach growling or teeth chattering but you don't suddenly say "That's Bob". Do you know Bob? I don't. First time I see him. Your body knowing somebody you don't, cheap design, very cheap.

That said, this gave me an idea, what if at the end of that long wilderness section I mentioned in my OP there was a survivor NPC who would trade things like arrows, furs and meat for scrap metal, fire starters, ammunition and other materials that can't be replaced otherwise?

Well, that's one of the intended role of survivor AIs, to supply resources that are not sustainable. Be it by trading, bullet to the face or "unexpected" ways, we'll see how they choose to do it. It's a big thing, it will change the entire feel of the game, even if they filter very slowly into the environment.

to supply resources that are not sustainable.

This made me think of that Star Trek original episode where Captain Kirk makes a bazooka out of materials he finds on a desolate planet. I'm talking bamboo, rocks, salt-peter, sulfur and coal... he made a bazooka! LOL! At that to the game so we can kill bears with one hit!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like some of these ideas.

Hallucinations-

While I'm with Octavian on the bags being strung around, I would like to see some auditory and corner-of-the-eye hallucinations. Wandering the Dam, even after the death of Fluffy is spooky, and the groaning of pipes and such only adds to the aura given off. I'd love to see stronger implements with this, ESPECIALLY once morale is introduced. Trekking through the snow, hungry, thirsty and fatigued you might spot things out of the corner of your eye, human or animal like shadows that disappear the moment you look over, maybe you hear hushed whispers or not-quite-right whines. I wouldn't want anything to break the immersion, although I've never been through what the character goes through, I wouldn't expect to hear some monstrous roar or start seeing Slenderman everywhere (I'd rather the REAL scares be reserved for a bear you didn't expect on the other side of the hill) but subtle yet eerie twitches and such would be really interesting!

Survivor AI's-

I'm neutral on other survivors being added, I see it as a way for Hinterlands to do one of two things. A, add even more difficulty to the game, where you don't necessarily want to just run into somebody since you're not sure if they're friend or foe. Or b, really ruin the terror of being all alone. I don't expect in a situation like this that you would implicitly trust someone enough to share a cabin with them and if that's something they integrate I would be really disappointed. BUT I do agree, I'd like to see our character actually REACT to things besides their own discomfort. I enjoy the game because the character is essentially an extension of myself, which is why we fight so desperately to keep them alive. Now, having put around 30 hours or so into the game I don't bat an eye at seeing a dead body in the snow (I actually have been known to run over cheering... which might be considered sociopathic behavior in the real world) but the first time I stumbled into a cabin, two minutes before darkness fell, lit a match, walked up the stairs and a dead guy was slouched over I panicked, fell back down the stairs and hid in the corner for a minute, expecting something to kill me next. I would like to see the character at least react at their first body seen, a gasp of horror with increased breathing at first, fading into a sympathetic sigh later into nothing at all.

Panic Attacks-

YES. I am SO for this. I don't want control wrestled away from me, because if in real life I had to choose between running through an area I didn't like and being bit on the rear by a wolf, I would choose the former in a heartbeat. It would be really obnoxious if my character took an actual movement hit or just flat out refused to go through Derailment or something just because she'd been attacked in the past there when I'm trying to make it to the Logging Camp before dark, and even MORE frustrating if while she's sassing me I have a wolf come up on my back and try to eat me. But I would love to see the screen react through the area, hearing the character's breath increase rapidly, some visible shaking and darkening around the corners would all add the hint that my character is panicking without actually hurting me. Hearing loss could be an interesting mechanic if it wasn't a full drowned out-water-rushing-in-the-ears-panic hearing loss, since audio queues are pivotal when dealing with an area of multiple wolves. But some humming, ringing or a slight deafening would be interesting!

Archived