Too many wolves

Yeti1987

I agree with this. They're not much of a threat at the moment, but if you get attacked too often you tend to end up with far too much food. I'm on day 70 on my current game in stalker, and I haven't had to hunt anything or go and gather food. I'm living off of occasional wolf attacks, and feel like I'm missing out on the rest that the game has to offer.

Yep. You'd think there was an automated steak-service chugging out Deer and rabbits during the winter to sustain such a large wolf population.

Personally, I find the environment being a great enough obstacle not to need an ultra-wolf-infested map alongside with it.

I agree with you guys. Its not that im bothered too much. But even after hunting out the area (2 or 3 kills), wolves still respawn very quickly. It takes a day or two and there are wolves all over the area again.

(To be percise - im now on Pleasant Valley - areas mentioned east from Signal Hill and south from Farmstead).

What's starting to bother me somewhat is the predictability of *where* they spawn, and the routes they travel.

It's kind of convenient, because once you know where you can expect them, it becomes much easier to navigate the map, but at the same time, it breaks the immersion: it reminds you that you're playing a computer game with predictable opponents.

I agree. I don't mind the occasional wolf, but lately I've only been able to last three days or so before being killed by them. I survive one wolf attack only to be pounced on again a few hours later. It's gotten so annoying that I switched to playing in pilgrim mode.

Yeah, I agree. This playthrough I've consistently had 3 wolves on Mystery Lake the entire time. In my previous play I had a similar issue. I remember I distracted one, went around the edge of the lake, and when I was coming back up toward the Camp Office, I was jumped from behind by a wolf (which I think was coming in from the frozen river) and it killed me. And that's just from recent experience - there is very little space where there aren't wolves. I think on Stalker it's ok because it's supposed to be a challenge, but on a lower difficulty they just become a glum frustration.

What's starting to bother me somewhat is the predictability of *where* they spawn, and the routes they travel.

It's kind of convenient, because once you know where you can expect them, it becomes much easier to navigate the map, but at the same time, it breaks the immersion: it reminds you that you're playing a computer game with predictable opponents.

That's also a valid point.

I refer to the wolves in TLD as "furry zombies", because that is what they effectively are, at this point.

I would much prefer if the environment was the actual "enemy", as it is in actual survival. Short days, cold temperatures, and storms that last for days? Realistic (have to deal with sweating after exertion) temperature management, slowed-down movement, etc? "Possible". not "guaranteed" animal attacks on top of that?

Awesome. Something that actually prompts choice-making, instead of memorizing wolf "patrol routes".

I refer to the wolves in TLD as "furry zombies", because that is what they effectively are, at this point.

I would much prefer if the environment was the actual "enemy", as it is in actual survival. Short days, cold temperatures, and storms that last for days? Realistic (have to deal with sweating after exertion) temperature management, slowed-down movement, etc? "Possible". not "guaranteed" animal attacks on top of that?

Awesome. Something that actually prompts choice-making, instead of memorizing wolf "patrol routes".

I completely agree. Temperature management doesn't seem to be as strong as it could be (once you figure out how it works it's very manageable). Sweating is an interesting concept, since it could lead to hypothermia. I think the wolves only require minor tweaking though. Also, I think the medical system could be used in other areas, because I think it's really only used with wolf attacks, no? Except for sprained ankles, I don't think I've used my first aid goods for anything else. That would be awesome, actually.

I completely agree. Temperature management doesn't seem to be as strong as it could be (once you figure out how it works it's very manageable). Sweating is an interesting concept, since it could lead to hypothermia. I think the wolves only require minor tweaking though. Also, I think the medical system could be used in other areas, because I think it's really only used with wolf attacks, no? Except for sprained ankles, I don't think I've used my first aid goods for anything else. That would be awesome, actually.

In reality, "temperature management" is INTEGRAL to survival in a cold-weather environment, and is basically the whole reason you use the "Layer" system when it comes to clothing.

Wicking

Warmth

Weather

Those three layers, which we use in-game, are not just to keep you warm. They are also there so you have an opportunity to cool off. Sweating is BAD in cold-weather survival, as it both draws heat away from your body AND eliminates the insulation properties of whatever clothing you are wearing.

So, you are walking outside in a blizzard, right? Pretty cold? Well, as you walk, you start to give off heat due to muscle exertion. Unless you let this heat off, you will start to sweat. So, you remove your top layer to prevent this. Later, when you get to shelter, you start to get cold. Throw back on that layer as you build a fire.

After the fire gets going, you warm up. SO, you take off everything.

Cleanliness is also another aspect of temperature management. Clothing insulates you due to there being "dead air" spaces in the clothing, that block cold air and hold in heat. As clothing gets dirty, these spaces disappear (filled in by sweat, dirt, skin-grime, skin-oil, etc). You want to clean your clothing every once and a while to prevent this, as well as yourself, both to keep warmer and to prevent skin chafing and bacterial infections in various private (underarms, crotch, inside of thighs, etc) places.

As opposed to sprinting everywhere without a care in the world, which is what happens a lot in TLD. There is little-to-no downside to running, and quite a few when walking. Exactly the opposite in "real life"

It's strange how some people seem to be fine with the number of wolves, but for others there are way too many of them... Wouldn't it be awesome if we could (instead of complaining on the forums) just change the settings and choose the experience we want?

I don't want to copy & paste content, so I'll just put the link here. In this thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5924 I suggested adding a custom difficulty setting where you can choose things like number of wolves (from none to hordes of it), respawn rate, probability of them attacking you etc.

What do you think? Wouldn't that resolve at least some of the problems? (it wouldn't do much for "wolf patrol areas", though... but on the other hand, wolves are territorial, right? so maybe it's not that unrealistic after all)

It's strange how some people seem to be fine with the number of wolves, but for others there are way too many of them... Wouldn't it be awesome if we could (instead of complaining on the forums) just change the settings and choose the experience we want?

I don't want to copy & paste content, so I'll just put the link here. In this thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5924 I suggested adding a custom difficulty setting where you can choose things like number of wolves (from none to hordes of it), respawn rate, probability of them attacking you etc.

What do you think? Wouldn't that resolve at least some of the problems? (it wouldn't do much for "wolf patrol areas", though... but on the other hand, wolves are territorial, right? so maybe it's not that unrealistic after all)

Wolves are territorial "in packs". They aren't solitary animals.

Their territories also can cover (and often do, in wilderness areas like Alaska or Canada) hundreds of square kilometers.

What would be cool is for a pack of wolves, or even a BEAR, to take over one of the caves in Pleasant Valley, in order to get out of the weather. ( AFAIK, none of the animals in-game do anything other than aimlessly wander, even in the middle of a blizzard). If the player wants to go into the cave for shelter, then they have to tussle with the animals already there.

The amount of wolves can drive me nuts. I figured maybe a reduction or increase in running into them would be dependent by time of day... No such luck. I gleefully run into blizzards since I've yet to run into a wolf during one.

By leaving carcasses or hides , one could either attract or repel them depending on what carcass or hide. I starting leaving wolf hides outside my base to cure and serve a warning.

Wolves laughed at this, and a bear marched back and forth protesting cruelty to animals.

Clearly signs of cabin fever.

The number of wolves doesn't bother me as much as the respawn rate. Wolves respawn WAY too quickly! (24 hours, it seems?) It becomes one of those immersion-breaking, obvious gameplay mechanics. I'd prefer, if there are going to be a lot of wolves (and there are a LOT in the hinterlands), to knock the respawn rate down.

Either that, or reduce the number of wolves, as others are saying -- it does feel gimmicky and frustrating when there's a wolf patrolling every corner. Find some good stuff? Probably guarded by a wolf! Bit contrived, really; it smacks you in the face with the realization "this is a game!!!" which, imo, is detrimental to the survival genre experience.

I only had wolf issues in the hinterlands map. Wildlife seems far better distributed in Pleasant Valley -- same with the bears. Present enough to be a threat, but not so overpopulated that it begins to take the player out of the world.

Mystery lake office cabin, mid-day #7, observe patrolling wolf on pond, evade pwolf on tracks, pwolf at derailment, pwolf at train loading area. Just as I crawled and cleared this last wolf still in sight behind me, another has popped up directly in front of me, torch failed to ward off attack(too close).

That is a lot of fur in less the 10 mins. One after another in a chain.

48% condition, no rifle. No rifle under bridge. Last torch disappeared after attack, couldn't pick up remaining flare at derailment.

Found maple saplings Woot! Choices...

I should be able to retreat to the logging cabins, or, search to find a bunker (70% chance) 2 possible close locations, or... Continue to the damn, sneak by fluffy and get a rifle(last spot), hope to pick up flare and survive, which was the initial goal at 100% condition when I started out.

Going to the damn. Not the smart choice, but closest.

By design? Or too many wolves.

Just have an option to scale how many wolves are in the world map and have an option to toggle complete depopulation for any of the animals(except fish).

Or have like a central wolf den on all 3 maps and the wolves just roam all around the map.And if there are still at least 2 wolves on the map, a wolf cub spawns in the den.That way you have an active way of controlling the ecosystem.

Having to exploit the same patrolling wolf takes me out of the experience.There is no consequence.If the end of the game is always going to be death, then why bother surviving for 900 days, while doing the same repetitive actions you do most of the game ? I mean the whole fun is at the start, you explore and look out all the shit you need and then you....eat, drink, sleep, hunt for the rest of the 870 days ?

The goal of the game shouldn´t be how long can I survive on this respawing meat.Most of the things in this game shouldnt degrade anyway.

I don't get your point, how does this,

Just have an option to scale how many wolves are in the world map and have an option to toggle complete depopulation for any of the animals(except fish).

Or have like a central wolf den on all 3 maps and the wolves just roam all around the map.And if there are still at least 2 wolves on the map, a wolf cub spawns in the den.That way you have an active way of controlling the ecosystem.

fix this?

If the end of the game is always going to be death, then why bother surviving for 900 days, while doing the same repetitive actions you do most of the game ? I mean the whole fun is at the start, you explore and look out all the shit you need and then you....eat, drink, sleep, hunt for the rest of the 870 days ?

The goal of the game shouldn´t be how long can I survive on this respawing meat.Most of the things in this game shouldnt degrade anyway.

Mystery lake office cabin, mid-day #7, observe patrolling wolf on pond, evade pwolf on tracks, pwolf at derailment, pwolf at train loading area. Just as I crawled and cleared this last wolf still in sight behind me, another has popped up directly in front of me, torch failed to ward off attack(too close).

That is a lot of fur in less the 10 mins. One after another in a chain.

48% condition, no rifle. No rifle under bridge. Last torch disappeared after attack, couldn't pick up remaining flare at derailment.

By design? Or too many wolves.

Same deal here. I went to the Dam to get some lantern fuel. Whether you go by the lake/river route or the train tracks, you have 3 to 4 wolves to avoid EACH WAY. I used hills and stealth on the way there, got the stuff I wanted, then had to waste my last flare and run on the way back.

I was wearing a wolf coat - which contrary to the description does nothing to help. And I had no meat on me.

I'm down to 4 bullets (day 30) and I'm doing the math on how many torches I can make from the fuel I got. I may relocate to trapper cabin since there at least there is not a wolf patrolling the bunny spawn like the one by the fishing hut.

Bear with me...

Day 67, Coastal. Savaged by wolf, Need to move to next map to attain bandages. There are far fewer wolf spawns on the other two maps. I've become increasingly better at avoid wolf encounters, as such I'm learning or seeing more spawn sites since I'm living longer. Yeah me.

When you play the game of wolves, you either learn the spawns, or die.

It's a difficult balance to achieve. I've certainly made more tactical decisions based on wolves. I've made far less due to resources. This seems slightly contrary to the game intent. Due to a lack of bandages, having been a chew toy, first aid force me to explore new ground... I must move or eventually perish. So in essence, the wolf factor is a good thing.

Here's the rub though. The M Lake map is the starting point (currently) for new players. Wolf action is higher, and the game becomes more about wolves, than resources and the basic, eat, cold, clothing survival stuff. Wolves dominate the player experience 0-15 hours in. Finding the rifle becomes paramount, and not finding it for 5-10 days in can be frustrating oncw the player knows there is a rifle. Players either plow through this learning curve, or give up.

If the 2 spawns closest to the camp office (tracks and lake) were removed, it'd probably be less of an issue.

The hardest thing to consider, the most important thing in my view, is that we are playing alpha, and sand box at that. Transport yourself half a year forward. and pretend you never played. You would, I think naturally play through the story mode(assuming its there), have a completely different experience, and then play sand box mid game or after. Not first. By playing now, we get a sneak peek, but the over all play experience is backwards from standard gaming(a complete game).

I am no fan of the constant wolf factor, but I'd rather see effort on story mode then be snagged on balancing wolves for sandbox.

The Devs have obviously been playing with the wolf AIs to make them much more challenging. At one point, wolves would retreat if a rifle were sighted on them; no more. Now they jog slightly left or right making a clean fast shot impossible. They seem to be very abundant; while I can survive a single wolf; two is not survivable. I think the game balance is a little bit too hard in Voyageur level and maybe a little too easy in Pilgrim mode. The shortage of clothing and cloth and other supplies is really hurting on Mystery Lake starts. Coastal Highway has lots of loot but its hard to find the rifle. I wish they had a way to automatically monitor the life expectancy of players dynamically in the system to help tune it. Dying too soon from an obviously HOPELESS situation is very frustrating. In many cases, there is no viable way to make it if there is a big shortage of food,too many storms,too few clothes and too many wolves around.

The main problem I have with the wolves is that they limit the other challenges of the game. I've died from wolves more than I've died of starvation, thrist, exhaustion, and frostbite combined, by a fairly wide margin if you add in bears. It makes me feel somewhat like the rest is a distraction from avoiding wolves, though there are realively few things to fight off wolves, compared to percent of the game's challenge they present.

While playing Coastal Highway I was attacked by a wolf, killed it with a single arrow, and while harvesting it was attacked by another wolf. This has happened twice to me. The second time I did manage to get an arrow into the second wolf, but could not track the blood trail as the fog rolled in. Is this an example of wolves hunting in packs?

Archived