Crashes and PC Lock-up.

Tejas_Stalker

I took a break for a few weeks and started playing again once I heard about new path from Mystery Lake to Pleasant Valley. I'm getting a lot of crashes playing the latest version to the point where I constantly have to seek save points ( indoor locations ) just to save my progress no matter which direction I go in. So the new version I find very unstable. Today I attempted to launch the Game and the normally black screen with white words changed to a gray background with white words and locked up. I used control-alt-delete to regain control of my computer but trying to close the program that way does not work. TLD.exe refuses to close and I am forced to shutdown my computer. I restart my PC and am left with the same result. Black screen to gray lock-up with no way to do anything in The Long Dark since it refuses to function. Please help.

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually I discovered the lock-up was due to my Zone Alarm anti-virus/firewall. Since the program ( TLD.exe ) had changed, my firewall wanted permission for it to access the internet. I didn't catch it quick enough and it caused the lock-up. Once I figured that out I can access the game now. However unrelated the latest version is causing a lot of CTDs.

Still having the worst stability problems I have ever seen. Seems like if I find any feathers, maple or birch branches and attempt to walk away with them.... CRASH! Screen goes black, I can hear the game continuing to operate but no video. Soon the TLD.exe stops running altogether. Sigh.

Still having the worst stability problems I have ever seen. Seems like if I find any feathers, maple or birch branches and attempt to walk away with them.... CRASH! Screen goes black, I can hear the game continuing to operate but no video. Soon the TLD.exe stops running altogether. Sigh.

Uploading your output_log.txt file would be immensely useful :D You can find it in ...\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\output_log.txt

Initialize engine version: 5.0.2f1 (0b02744d4013)

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

Direct3D:

Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (ID=0x1200)

Vendor: NVIDIA

VRAM: 977 MB

Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\ConsoleUtilsImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\ConsoleUtilsImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\HardwareVideoImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\HardwareVideoImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\MarketplaceImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\MarketplaceImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\StorageImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\StorageImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityPluginLogImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityPluginLogImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UsersImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UsersImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\XboxOneCommonImport.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\XboxOneCommonImport.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\EasyRoads3D.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\EasyRoads3D.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\SuperSplines.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\SuperSplines.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\HOTween.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\HOTween.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.ClipperLib.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.ClipperLib.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.JsonFx.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.JsonFx.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.Poly2Tri.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Pathfinding.Poly2Tri.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\SampleClassLibrary.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\SampleClassLibrary.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\DecalSystem.Runtime.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain

- Completed reload, in 0.104 seconds

Initializing input.

Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0

Initialized touch support.

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)

Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

UnloadTime: 4.998475 ms

GAME VERSION: Sandbox Alpha v.244

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)

Unloading 11114 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 22927.

Total: 34.722855 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.533593 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.418501 ms MarkObjects: 27.425087 ms DeleteObjects: 4.344571 ms)

Received stats and achievements from Steam

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebug.gen.cpp Line: 56)

Unloading 10 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

UnloadTime: 6.383254 ms

Unloading 396 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 23108.

Total: 29.180803 ms (FindLiveObjects: 1.077620 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.532945 ms MarkObjects: 26.309711 ms DeleteObjects: 1.260156 ms)

Unloading 8 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

UnloadTime: 1.884737 ms

Unloading 128 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 60216.

Total: 312.643860 ms (FindLiveObjects: 3.493837 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.544786 ms MarkObjects: 305.317871 ms DeleteObjects: 0.286999 ms)

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Mono/libc

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Mono/.\libc

Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Mono/libc

Guest mcopeman

It looks like you might be missing some files. Try verifying your cache:

Go to your steam library

Left click on The Long Dark

Select "Properties"

Select the "Local Files" tab

Press "verify integrity of game cache"

I tried that. Still getting so many crashes I have to take 1 hour naps just to save my progress every 1/4 to 1/2 mile ( or about a kilometer ) walking once I leave an indoor location. Only happens outdoors. If I was a new player just starting out, I would rage quit the game and never return.

I'm inside Carter Hydro Dam. Because I get a crash every single time leaving it going back into Mystery Lake, I decided to go out the other way into the new area. I went outside and hunted a wolf with bow & arrow. Gathered firewood and cooked some meat. Spent the night in a cave and woke up the next day all without any problems. Went back to Carter Hydro Dam, dropped off some new items and then walked out the south door again. Didn't get past the railroad bridge heading west again when CRASH!!! Sigh.

Fled to Coastal Highway to escape the crashes. As mentioned before, this isn't the normal CTD ( Crash to Desktop ) I have experienced before in the TLD and in other games. This is unique to TLD where the screen suddenly goes black but I can hear the game continuing to be running. Unfortunately any attempt to make the screen reappear ( Control-Alt-Delete ) to regain control of my mouse pointer where in turn I click on my taskbar of the tiny hatchet ( that would normally make the graphics the top choice on my desktop ) which then results in the error message TLD.exe is no longer functioning. Now in Coastal Highway things were semi good but now getting crashes indoors which was my last refuge. This is really annoying. FYI I'm on Day 163.

Day 193 now. I've gotten a few good days where I get a slight hesitation of video/audio for a second or two and then the game will continue. This is better than the sudden separation of video/audio where the video goes black but the audio continues. Seems to be a disconnect of synchronization. I remember when I first started playing I would either get an overall crash to desktop or that hesitation of video/audio if I was lucky. Now it has evolved to a worse problem of more frequency.

That didn't help.

So frustrating to leave a building, march halfway across a map and suddenly lose everything.

Especially when I'm not doing anything taxing on a GPU than simply walking.

I have gotten in the habit of taking a lot of 1 hour naps to save my progress but the downside

to that is when I wake up I suddenly find myself in a blinding blizzard ( to promote randomness? )

in the Game Play which makes me dread it. I'm currently in the northern stretches of Pleasant Valley

where there are no indoor buildings trying to find a lost arrow that a wolf took off with in his butt.

I'm sure the wolf is long gone but that arrow is out there somewhere. Added to that the constant

crashing and losing my progress is very tiring and exhausting to have to keep starting over.

Sigh.

maybe your hardware is overheating or starting to die.

I have had graphics cards die on me - hard disks die on me, motherboards fail etc. All can cause weird stuff to happen. Sounds more like an issue your end not the game, unless it starts happening after xx amount of days. only managed to go to about 30 days alive so far and not one single crash.

Which version was this current run started from? You said you had taken a break for a while and came back after the update.

Also Could you check for all your computers drivers for updates. As well as take a look at The Long Dark's CPU usage while playing and see how much it is taking up, could be running to much and causing the crash.

You can also try running in windowed mode as well:

In Steam interface, click on "LIBRARY".

In games list, right click on "The Long Dark".

Choose "Properties"

Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."

Paste into text box "-popupwindow" without the quotes

Click "OK".

Click "CLOSE".

Jeremy

maybe your hardware is overheating or starting to die.

I have had graphics cards die on me - hard disks die on me, motherboards fail etc. All can cause weird stuff to happen. Sounds more like an issue your end not the game, unless it starts happening after xx amount of days. only managed to go to about 30 days alive so far and not one single crash.

GPU overheating is predominantly displayed as graphical artifacting and visual decomposition.

It does not result in the video becoming disconnected from the audio and the rest of a game operating.

As I have 213 days into this Game, I know when the game is working correctly and when it is not and

the difference between software and hardware problems. This is software. Thanks for your input though.

Which version was this current run started from? You said you had taken a break for a while and came back after the update.

Also Could you check for all your computers drivers for updates. As well as take a look at The Long Dark's CPU usage while playing and see how much it is taking up, could be running to much and causing the crash.

You can also try running in windowed mode as well:

In Steam interface, click on "LIBRARY".

In games list, right click on "The Long Dark".

Choose "Properties"

Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."

Paste into text box "-popupwindow" without the quotes

Click "OK".

Click "CLOSE".

Jeremy

I was last playing at the start of May and returned when it was first announced about the new passage

from the other side of the Carter Hydro Dam and the addition of bow & arrow crafting. Upon returning

the game only become unstable when I would find birch and maple trees and cut them down and try to

travel anywhere with them. As I now carry bow & arrows all the time, my stability has grown exponential.

Hmm, might be the older save file with the saplings. So starting a new game may solve this problem.

Running it in windowed doesn't help then I take it?

Could you send me your save001 folder? Just zip it and email it to me at Jeremy@hinterlandgames.com

you can find it here: C:\Users\(Computer Name)\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark

Jeremy

Archived