Wolf skin cap

• One wolf skins
    two cured guts

Needed Items: Sewing Kit

Made In a crafting table

Bonuses

slightly more wind protection and heat than Toque

Achievement for completing the set

Wear the cap, coat, pants and boots at midnight to earn the achievement The Alpha Wolf

Wearing the complete set will cause aggressive wolves to stand and growl at you instead of attack you. Unless you get too close, then they will attack you.

The downside to wearing this is, Deer and Rabbits will run away from you if they see you from a long distance.

Deerskin Water Pouch

• One deer skin
    Two cured guts

Needed Items: Sewing Kit

Made In a crafting table

Bonuses

Allows you to carry 20.ml water and can be filled by water in your inventory, by open fishing holes or toilets

Downsides

Just like the water you carry in your inventory, it will give you weight. And if you fill it by open fishing holes or toilets, you have to use water purification tablets before you can drink it.

I feel like 30 Kg / 66 lbs is already too much for someone to be carrying around, especially with no movement penalty, and with the ability to run. Making a craft able item that increases that (up to 36 Kg / 79 lbs) just seems unrealistic. I can carry 80 lbs, and I have done it before, hauling water to a dry campsite on a mountain. My father has carried a pack that weighed in at almost 100 lbs. I can tell you with no uncertainty, running with that load is impossible, and even breathing with that load is painful. Under that much load, I have to take really small steps to avoid straining muscles and tendons, and I move at a snail's pace. I know some people can carry that amount of weight, but I doubt anyone can do so comfortably, especially all day.

I like the idea of more craft able clothing, and I made post about it earlier. Basically, my thought was to make it modular:

• Select what type of item you want to craft
  • Select what type of fur or leather you want to make it from
  • Review the bonuses and penalties from the choices you have selected before beginning crafting.

Like you picked up on, I suggested to keep with the theme that wolf pelts are warm and scare off wolves, deer hide is really durable, rabbit is warm, etc.

I like the idea of a "set bonus", if only for flavor text, and a fun achievement. However, in reality, our own body odors and human smells (read wood smoke) will overwhelm any scent from a pelt, so the idea of a wolf skin clothing scaring off wolves is really pretty laughable. It's the fact that we smell human that scares off wolves, not that we look like them.

I'm not against crafting another back pack, but the variety of backpacks and bonuses associated with each has no basis in logic-- why would one be better than another?

The 66 lb limit issue is a little misleading- since it includes the clothing you are wearing. This isn't really the way it should work, since clothing weight is distributed more throughout the body. I'd like to see those equipped garments removed from the backpack capacity (maybe only partially, since heavy clothing does inhibit movement).

I'm not against crafting another back pack, but the variety of backpacks and bonuses associated with each has no basis in logic-- why would one be better than another?

The 66 lb limit issue is a little misleading- since it includes the clothing you are wearing. This isn't really the way it should work, since clothing weight is distributed more throughout the body. I'd like to see those equipped garments removed from the backpack capacity (maybe only partially, since heavy clothing does inhibit movement).

Basically, the only difference between the three backpacks is the materials they are made of. They should, in no way, be able to carry more "stuff" than a backpack made of some other material.

Basically, the only difference between the three backpacks is the materials they are made of. They should, in no way, be able to carry more "stuff" than a backpack made of some other material.

That depends. If you make a backpack out of 2 rabbit skins or out of 3 deer skins, one of them would hold more items than the other I should think... (unless of course you would use all the rabbit skin and throw away 90% of the deer skin).

I'm not saying I think these backpacks are a good idea though, because I don't.

That depends. If you make a backpack out of 2 rabbit skins or out of 3 deer skins, one of them would hold more items than the other I should think... (unless of course you would use all the rabbit skin and throw away 90% of the deer skin).

That is a fair point--though 2 rabbit skins would be quite a stretch to create a bigger backpack than the default one :)

Anyway, maybe another gear storage option would be alright, but I don't like the idea of this many options and tradeoffs--especially separated (rather artificially) by species of animal used (since really it would be the size of the bag that determines the pros and cons-i.e. you could make a pack from deer hide that is bigger than a bear skin bag). Incidentally, all of these hide bags are likely to be heavier per unit of capacity than the default backpack....

It does bring around an interesting question-- should there be multiple recipes for similar items? E.g. buckskin jacket, bear mittens.. etc. Would that level of complexity add to the game?

I will not get into the amount of gear you can carry over long distances. Also we all know the "weight in a pack" equation is off. There is weight and their is dimensional weight. A 50 lbs barbell takes up a lot less space than 50 lbs of wood or 50 lbs of kindling. However, some backpacks ARE made to carry more gear/weight than others. Right now the game basically says you have what you are wearing, what is in your hands (equipped) and everything else is in your pack. Even if the rifle is not equipped, I will assume it is at least slung. So a rifle will not be taken into the pack equation. Also we can currently pack WAY more than we can carry, ever. We can even move at a snails pace carry hundreds of pounds of material.

Based on that I would put in the following:

1. School Pack - Standard one we see laying around in the game. 20 lbs load. Weighs 2 lbs. This can be broken down into 2 cloth and 1 leather.

2. Hikers Pack - 30 lbs load. Weight 3 pounds. This can be broken down into 3 cloth and 2 leather.

3. Rucksack - 50 lbs load. Weighs 5 pounds. This can be broken down into 7 cloth.

4. Fanny Pack - 5 lbs load + you can wear this AND any other back pack. Weighs .5 pound. Broken down into 1 cloth

5. Belt Pack - 10 lbs load + you can wear this AND any other back pack. Weighs 1 pound. Broken down into 1 cloth and 1 leather.

6. Leather Pack - 30 lbs load (crafted from 10 leathers and 5 guts). Weighs 4 pounds (yes, more than the hikers pack).

Now we have containers that stuff has to go in. If your are wearing all your stuff and your containers are full, you simply can't haul it. Project: Zomboid does something similar but you can also CARRY a bag (in either or both hands). This could be another option.

Just because you have a pack does not break your 66 lbs max weight before being encumbered. It does give a limit to what you can haul AND give us the option of finding/crafting other packs. Since all packs now have weight we need to up the players carrying capacity to 70 lbs (to balance out not having to pay for the pack before). I would start the player off with a standard pack in everything but Stalker. In Stalker I would give the player a fanny pack (just to add insult to injury).

Lastly, if the devs would add more options besides just cloth I would have the packs break down differently. I think ripstop nylon, cotton canvas, nylon straps/webbing, weaved kevlar, etc. Adding this sort of material would really reduce the weight of some constructed items, up the durability and take more resources to sew through (use up more of your kit and take more time).

That is a fair point--though 2 rabbit skins would be quite a stretch to create a bigger backpack than the default one :)

No pun intended? ;)

We can even move at a snails pace carry hundreds of pounds of material.

The Unofficial Long Dark Packrat Mascot (i.e., me :lol: ) has found that at around 150 lbs of material, you lose the ability to move at all. So there is a limit, but it is QUITE high.

In the game, we already have a backpack, and I'm rather against the idea of crafting new and improved backpacks. As was said before, the weight limit is already quite high enough (as much as I go over it constantly myself). As the game is currently abstracting weight and encumbrance (by not divvying up weight between worn clothing weight, slung weight, and backpack weight... not to mention taking into account HOW a pack is packed...), I think the limit is fine as is, and adding craftable packs to the equation doesn't provide gameplay that would justify the added work for the devs.

I like the idea of more craft able clothing, and I made post about it earlier. Basically, my thought was to make it modular:

Select what type of item you want to craft

Select what type of fur or leather you want to make it from

Review the bonuses and penalties from the choices you have selected before beginning crafting.

On the subject of craftable clothing, I completely agree with the above.

As whats been said by other posters, your backpack is has no limit of what you can store its all about how much weight you can handle.

Now if inventory was done differently, like a grid system that made you stop to repack your backpack after you looted a house because you need three slots side by side to fit another prybar in(inventory Tetris) then I could see a need for additional backpacks and different backpacks. You could start with a school bag(with superhero or with pink rabbit hello kitty analogue) maybe you find a duffel bag, computer bag, rucksack, or curse you luck that you started out with a fanny pack and you haven't found anything to replace it .

Likewise if such a system was in place, you could also calculate condition into your backback... like if you take a bad wolf attack or the condition get too low you run a risk of your back pack dropping a random item from your pack as your running.

Archived