Compass

German4XXX

I've seen at least one other thread on this but everyone seemed to jump on his case and criticize but hear me out... I know the maps and have learned them well but to have a compass means that one could map a map...actually a pretty good one if he was skilled enough and if he had that map he could navigate in whiteout conditions of the dark. Also even without a map, storm comes in, before you loose vision you take a bearing, and contiue on in the right direction. Just saying it would be nice to have as I really enjoy using a compass in real life navigation.

as you said, its been covered quite a few times that it's generally believed that a compass would not work due to the geomagnetic event.

Sure a compass would be helpful, but I think the lack of it makes sense with the story, and forces the player to use other means of finding their way around. E.g. leaving trail markers, watching the sun, etc. It's something that sets TLD apart from other games in my mind.

Thread necro:

But this could work I think if you had the geomagnetic event whip up erratically, with the compass needle spinning crazily while working normally at other times. I've heard mention of the plans to have electricity come back on randomly during whatever geomagnetic thing turns on the power, so it'd also make a good indicator for "Oh hey the lights might be one now!"

If nothing else, I would like the ability to sharpen a stick and leave it spiked in the ground. Maybe tie a little whippy piece of bright cloth to it.

compasses may not work, but a sextant would be completely unaffected, as it relies on the position of sun and the horizon (even when the horizon is not visible, you can still get sextant's fitted with an artificial horizon).

Perhaps you should be able to find a sextant in the fishing village on coastal highway.

Of course, everybody knows, how to use sextant without Wikipedia.

He's a bush pilot, he would have been taught alternate methods of triangulating his position other than compasses and electronic navigation.

Besides, it is not massively hard to use. Apply some basic geometry and you're home free.

Wind chimes, kites or flags - whatever will let me notice them past the game's usual draw distance for player placed items.

I guess I could use spent fires as trail markers, but that'd be tedious.

As for the compass, I think it's more photogenic. Not realistic exactly, but people immediately understand what a compass is for.

What if the compass worked, but sporadically. You can never tell if it is accurate or not. Would be a bother to program a broken tool but it would give those first time users a moment of "I know I was suppose to head north to the river but now I am at a cliff. What gives?!"

Archived