wolves

namaste

Is it possible to kill wolves in close combat, instead of just scaring them off?

Yes -- Left and right mouse buttons are used to fight wolf when attacked. If you build enough strength with the left button, then strike with the right, you can kill the wolf [and harvest the meat, hide, etc]

• 5 weeks later...

I realized this is a "game" and there needs to be some challenge but on the basis of the last update v .127, there is a lot of adjustments to the "wolves" could it be that they were OP ya think? Sorry not trolling but I just really get annoyed when I have a valid argument and it's just brushed off, then all the adjustments to the OP wolves are put in the game. Some might say I may have a point others might say too many people are complaining/whining. I say if enough people are talking about it, it should be changed. I guess the community has spoken FTW!

You need to be careful about getting too close to a wolf -- at that point you enter their "fight or flight" range, and they are going to either attack or flee. Outside that range they can be kept at bay with a flare, but only for so long...

I'm sorry in the real world not the movie or game world, you're not going to get anywhere close to a wolf. They don't want anything to do with us. They are really over powered in sandbox.

I'm sorry in the real world not the movie or game world, you're not going to get anywhere close to a wolf. They don't want anything to do with us. They are really over powered in sandbox.

Liam Neeson disagrees with you.

centerwolfpuncher.jpg?1327891493

Yes, the wolves do not behave like they would in normally in nature. The game needs them for balance (which has been consistently tweaked) and requires suspending disbelief a bit and blaming the anomaly.

Wait?! oh I see what you did there... http://steamcommunity.com/games/305620/ ... 8968982052, see what I did? 10 changes to the wolves.

I realize this is alpha gameplay and only just a sandbox. I'm already sick of the sandbox. 2 weeks was my level of interest. I'm more interested in the "game" and supporting a Canadian company!

Don't expect it to stay that way.

Game tuning works like a pendulum. Going from one extreme to the other until the balance is found.

Funny thing here, bears would be hibernating but given that the wolves in the sandbox are/were so aggressive the idea of bears doesn't really stretch anything beyond what's happening already.

I do like the Moose angle!!

I would have thought most of the bears would be hibernating [we see them in our front yard daily during the fall]... maybe see a could around, but I definitely like the idea of the wildcats as predators too

Good point. I just thought I had heard it mentioned before. Wildcats would be pretty interesting also. Hell, this just popped into my head... would moose work? I think more people are killed by moose than any other animal up north.

My challenge with wolves right now is that you cannot unequip/drop whatever you are holding when wolfie pounces on you. Outdoors is not an issue as you can see them well enough to avoid them. Three attempts at the hydro dam knowing full well that Fluffy is likely in there, all three I was tackled and could not put away my lantern/rifle/flare to fight back. Sorry, but I'm not playing this again until this is addressed in the next build or beta.

I've done a few alpha/beta tests in my day, but not fully testing what would be a slow, drawn out insta-kill to a player is called gross oversight. Might as well call the game "#%@%ing die, already".

My challenge with wolves right now is that you cannot unequip/drop whatever you are holding when wolfie pounces on you.

No need to unequip or drop anything, just start fighting. I usually start frantically clicking the mouse button even before the bar appears on the screen (as soon as the wolf is close), so I'm already at good speed when it does.

I realize this is alpha gameplay and only just a sandbox. I'm already sick of the sandbox. 2 weeks was my level of interest. I'm more interested in the "game" and supporting a Canadian company!

Well, I daresay it would probably be safest to take a break and come back a few updates down the road, so you have new content to have fun with before you burn yourself out. Hinterland have stated they want to release the whole game by the end of the year, so it probably won't be an extremely long wait...

(not meant to be in a "get out of here" tone, or anything. Just--if you're sick of this particular sandbox map, nobody's making you keep playing it over and over!)

As far as I know the map if only about 5% of the total thing and we don't even have crafting and other stuff yet, so what you're looking at is only a fraction of what is to come. Getting sick of doing the same thing over and overis to be expected. If you are sick of fooling around in the sandbox, wait for the next update, give it a shot again and then take another break. After all, it's better to return to a game and enjoy it rather than to play till you're sick of the game. :)

For me, most of the fun comes from fooling around, trying to find bugs. But if that's not for you, then that is no problem either. :mrgreen:

My challenge with wolves right now is that you cannot unequip/drop whatever you are holding when wolfie pouncesThe game on you.

No need to unequip or drop anything, just start fighting. I usually start frantically clicking the mouse button even before the bar appears on the screen (as soon as the wolf is close), so I'm already at good speed when it does.

Tarja, if I'm holding a lantern when a wolf pounces, clicking to attack just shows me "igniting, igniting, igniting" in the upper right corner. The game prioritizes my item over my life. I cannot unequip or drop the item so that I can get a fair shot at fighting back.

Tarja, if I'm holding a lantern when a wolf pounces, clicking to attack just shows me "igniting, igniting, igniting" in the upper right corner. The game prioritizes my item over my life. I cannot unequip or drop the item so that I can get a fair shot at fighting back.

That's strange, but maybe it's different in this version. At least previously the wolf attack made the lantern go away and you could fight the wolf. That's what happened with the rifle in my current run (held a rifle, but didn't shoot as I wanted to test my key bindings for fighting the wolf), but haven't tried with a lantern yet in this version.

Edit: Actually, I didn't have the rifle equipped. Just checked the recording. I'll check what happens with the next wolf.

Equipped the rifle, fought a wolf, everything worked just as before. The rifle got unequipped as the fight started and I had to equip it again after the wolf ran away. Didn't get to try with the lantern as Fluffy was not in residence at the dam this time.

Archived