wolves

namaste

I live in Montana. Wolves are a part of the landscape. I have never been attacked by one. This scenario does not take place after a long period of time in which wolves would forget to fear humans. I can understand a few wolf attacks but this stuff here is ridiculous. All the corpses around would give them an easier food source than my tender ass. There are wolves everywhere and they are always aggressive. There seem to be enough reasons to die in this game without psychotic wolves in the mix.

I must say I agree. It probably makes the game play more interesting for some, but starts getting very frustrating after a while. I suppose it's not so bad in the sandbox mode, but if the story is going to have this many aggressive wolves around, it better have A LOT of save spots.

You are correct that in nature, wolves rarely attack, and when they do, there is a good reason. Part of the theory in the game is that the magnetic event messed with the internal clocks / instincts of animals.

I personally love the wolves (increasingly more now that you have a chance to defend yourself, it was initially wolf attack = death)

There has to be some sort of risk involved with the game, and I think the wolves give that need to be looking before you leap and making calculated decisions on rick vs reward, which is what survival really is all about.

• Hinterland

There needs to be an active threat in the world, presented by wildlife and (eventually) other survivors as well.

In the context of this "event", the threat posed by wolves is "realistic".

For the Story mode, of course we will have a different save system than Sandbox, because the goal of the player experience is different when you have a narrative to consider.

I have a few long runs and have found if I don't mess with them they don't mess with me. You give wolves a wide berth, use run to move away if they are following you, use a flare if you must pass close to them or loot something with wolves around. You have to keep your eyes open and constantly scan for that black shape - something you would do if in an area with a lot of wolves or other predators. I have a few more tips but don't want to give away all my secrets.

On the subject of flares and wolves, I've found it rather confusing thus far. After maybe half a dozen tries it seems like they have to be in just the right 'sweet spot' to even care you have a flare going, outside that they seem oblivious and inside they're just like screw it, nom nom nom dead mac.

Guest Alan Lawrance

You need to be careful about getting too close to a wolf -- at that point you enter their "fight or flight" range, and they are going to either attack or flee. Outside that range they can be kept at bay with a flare, but only for so long...

I would have thought most of the bears would be hibernating [we see them in our front yard daily during the fall]... maybe see a could around, but I definitely like the idea of the wildcats as predators too

Good point. I just thought I had heard it mentioned before. Wildcats would be pretty interesting also. Hell, this just popped into my head... would moose work? I think more people are killed by moose than any other animal up north.

I think more people are killed by moose than any other animal up north.

Really? We've got elk, which are not quite as big as moose, but basically the same animal, and really the only way they kill people is when they jump onto the road right in front of your car. Still, they can be aggressive and charge at you, but that's not very common.

Moose are solitary animals that are hard to find, I think smoking, drinking, and car accidents are more likely reasons for Canadians to die:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 6a-eng.htm

I was referring to people killed by animals in the wild...as in which animal was most dangerous in that Alaskan/Northern Canada setting. In Anchorage, it wasn't too uncommon for them to wander into the outlying city and some villages rooting around for food.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal ... -moose.htm

(after reading page 3, it sounds like we're both right: Car accidents with a moose!)

Now this was sort of interesting, she get's pissed and they are just trying to get past to go home for dinner...but she's just trying to protect her young, can't fault her for that.

[bBvideo 560,340:3l0hu01g]

[/bBvideo]

Well then...judging by the body count, there must have been a whole lot of smoking and drinking going on. Apparently Canadians crash trains like they're Hot Wheels too!

• Hinterland

Bears and Cougars are definitely on the list. But, I want to make sure we can provide unique enough gameplay with each of these animals, so that they don't just feel like a different kind of wolf. But we have some ideas...

We'll also be adding more non-threatening wildlife as well. Makes the world feel more full and alive, and offers new harvesting opportunities...

In my experience, wolves really really hate if you are close to a deer carcass. Usually they just growl and if I run away its okay but if I come take some deer meat, they attack me instantly even if they are further away.

I just wish you could create some wooden staby stab thing so you can just stab the bastard when he jumps you.

In my experience, wolves really really hate if you are close to a deer carcass. Usually they just growl and if I run away its okay but if I come take some deer meat, they attack me instantly even if they are further away.

You can see some good luring techniques here so that you can dash and grab some meat from them.

Watch the video from the 29:25 Mark

[bBvideo 560,340:1k78ycnx]

[/bBvideo]

Within the context of the game I can accept wolves being everywhere but would it be possible to make them have a bigger area for their path decisions - for example two of them on the frozen lake are always there and seem to walk back and forth in a close set pattern for ever and ever (like they are confined to a dog run) and that seems like an odd thing for a wild animal to do.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to be careful about getting too close to a wolf -- at that point you enter their "fight or flight" range, and they are going to either attack or flee. Outside that range they can be kept at bay with a flare, but only for so long...

I'm sorry in the real world not the movie or game world, you're not going to get anywhere close to a wolf. They don't want anything to do with us. They are really over powered in sandbox.

I'm sorry in the real world not the movie or game world, you're not going to get anywhere close to a wolf. They don't want anything to do with us. They are really over powered in sandbox.

Liam Neeson disagrees with you.

centerwolfpuncher.jpg?1327891493

Yes, the wolves do not behave like they would in normally in nature. The game needs them for balance (which has been consistently tweaked) and requires suspending disbelief a bit and blaming the anomaly.

• 3 weeks later...

I stay away from the wolves as much as possible, regularly changing my plans if my current path leads me near wolves (unless I have decent health, bandage and antibiotics, and a good prize). Other than that, I make sure to keep an eye on them in relation to deer, occasionally spooking deer into running towards wolves.

Is it possible to kill wolves in close combat, instead of just scaring them off?

Archived