More in depth trapping

German4XXX

There are many furbearers in the arctic not limited to ermin, Martin, Lynx, coyote, beaver (through the ice holes? ;)) and wolverine. It would be really cool to be able to craft traps that would catch these animals (and maybe even be able to bait some of those traps with meat as well or wood in the Beavers case). It would also be cool to have clothing items that require more than one kind of hide much like the natives in my area do in real life. In some cases the different hides may be for decoration but in others like the ruff of a parka it is to block wind and trust me it works crazy good when you have stiff long hairs for the edge of that "hoodie". Another idea for leather is a face mask. There are some really cool/Erie looking molded native face masks specifically to block the wind and provide some shade from the bright arctic sun. An easy way to make it applicable in game would be the more elaborate and harder to craft items would give better benefits. Maybe some could be lighter in weight and others heavier but warmer. Also if one was to craft a lighter but equally warm coat from another animal other than a wolf the trade off would be no more "wolf scare probability". The trade offs would make for a cool dynamic and might also allow people to play through as a trapper with definitely more variety.

We need to do more than identify the prey in trapping, we need more types of traps. A figure 4 with a spring noose would let us catch all sorts of prey up to about 20 pounds. A figure 4 with a deadfall would allow us to catch smaller prey (rabbits on down). Right now we can find a gun, what about finding a steel trap? Something that would let us take on even larger game. We then need the ability funnel the animal into the trap and/or bait the traps to increase the chance the animal will "take the bait" and enter the strike zone.

+1 for more types of traps

Crafting a simple, funnel basket fishing trap would be a nice way to eliminate the monotony of fishing. I'm not sure how this kind of trap would hold up in the freezing conditions, though--perhaps it would take extra stamina to create a hole big enough to submerge the trap and let the ice freeze over the top. If anything else, this just speaks to my lack of real-life knowledge of how to fish/trap in the wild.

+1 for more types of traps

Crafting a simple, funnel basket fishing trap would be a nice way to eliminate the monotony of fishing. I'm not sure how this kind of trap would hold up in the freezing conditions, though--perhaps it would take extra stamina to create a hole big enough to submerge the trap and let the ice freeze over the top. If anything else, this just speaks to my lack of real-life knowledge of how to fish/trap in the wild.

I think you've already put your finger on the issue---creating a bigger hole would take a lot more energy. Got to make the hole to put the trap in, then make hole again to pull out the trap... would be a drag if there was nothing in it! :)

There are ways to set nets under ice (check you tube)-- this would be a more realistic way to catch more fish per unit of effort. whether or not our character would have the knowledge to do this is another story ;)

There are ways to set nets under ice (check you tube)-- this would be a more realistic way to catch more fish per unit of effort. whether or not our character would have the knowledge to do this is another story ;)

Necessity is the mother of invention. That said, I am a gamer. I was forced to start thinking outside of the box since I was exposed to Basic D&D back in 1979 :P Add in someone who had a family that hunted and I gained another skill set. Amateur woodsman gained another skill set. Toss in the Army and I gained a whole slew of skill sets. We all see the world differently and our experiences shape that pair of tinted glasses we wear.

I say this because we really don't know what has shaped our bush pilot hero/heroine. If they have some basic outdoor skills and a mind that is open to what is around them, they could do a LOT. If they were experienced in the outdoors it would be that much more open to invention. If they got their pilots license while growing up in the burbs and decided to take this bush job because it would allow them to embrace their vegan/paleo vision.... then were are screwed!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived