Has anyone ever found flint?

German4XXX

According to the Devs flint is already ingame, but I haven't found any either (yet).^^

Given its extreme rarity I very much hope that flint works similar to the magnifying lens and doesn't degrade at all. Would be a bit pointless to introduce just another firestriker analogon in my opinion. But that's just my guess, I might be wrong ofc. ;)

I'm really curious if someone on the Forums has already found some flint and can clarify the issue. :)

I haven't found a flint yet, but I haven't played much since it was added. It has been said flint is a very rare item, so I would not expect to find it in most games. It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually found some flint. I have not read one post saying as much so either it is indeed very very rare or it is bugged and nobody has ever found it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree that flint should definitely be less rare (if it's already ingame, that is). I mean what good is an item so rare that noone ever finds it? :|

A similar spawn chance like the magnifying lens (or maybe half of that chance) would make more sense in my opinion. That way flint would still be super rare, but people who search all maps very thoroughly had a good chance to find it every few games.

Yeah, I agree that flint should definitely be less rare (if it's already ingame, that is). I mean what good is an item so rare that noone ever finds it? :|

A similar spawn chance like the magnifying lens (or maybe half of that chance) would make more sense in my opinion. That way flint would still be super rare, but people who search all maps very thoroughly had a good chance to find it every few games.

It's flint... not gold. We are not really looking for "flint" specifically, any rock that contains silica will do: quartz, granite, quartzite, chert. Easiest way to tell, strike a specimen with some steel. Make players have to search for it (like they do wood) in areas where flint could be found: creeks, cliffs and maybe the mine. Have it cost calories for the player to forage for it (just like wood). If the player wants to use an axe/pry bar (to bust up the ice OR dig in the mine) they could find it faster (at the cost of wear on the tool). Then put the percentage chance to "strike" at about the same percentage as a cardboard match. If you succeed or fail, the flint is gone. Lets just assume it broke apart as it was just a small piece. It would act just like a match in that regard. Boom, done.

I don't really understand why flint is all that rare: it, in and of itself, isn't exactly a game changer. Yes, you can both make fires with it AND edged tools. But, unless you know what you are doing, making fires with flint can be rather difficult, and knapping is in NO WAY easy.

I would make flint pieces "effectively unlimited" when used for starting fires, but have a REALLY LOW ignition chance. That balances that out, as you have to have a really nice tinder bed to catch the small, short-lived sparks. So, you can potentially use it for a long time, but have to actually practice if you don't want to waste it.

And, when you want to try to make edged tools (really, we should only really be able to make flake-knives. Bifaces are not something you can make right off the bat), each "flake" removes a significant percentage of "condition" from the core.

And, depending on the geology of the area, flint (and related stone) could be relatively common. Take, for instance, New England. We have no natural sources of flint. The only flint I've ever seen washed up on the beach after a storm. Meanwhile, in the Mohawk valley (a hop, skip and a jump away in eastern New York), they have such beautiful deposits of flint that the local Native American tribe named themselves after it.

That might be worth a thought... well, if it can only be found outside, the big question is which areas are most promising for an extended search trip. Does anybody have a clue about flint deposits in Northern BC?^^

I for one only found flint twice so far (in Europe), both times at the coast (once at the French Atlantic coast, once at the Baltic sea coast). But I'm not searching for it on purpose, ofc. There's probably plenty of the stuff inland as well and I just haven't noticed it yet.

Anyway, I have no idea how promising it would be to e.g. walk along the cliffs surrounding pleasant valley in comparison to searching the shore in Coastal Highway or searching inside the various caves. Does somebody have a clue or is willing to help searching a specific area?^^

• 2 weeks later...
That might be worth a thought... well, if it can only be found outside, the big question is which areas are most promising for an extended search trip. Does anybody have a clue about flint deposits in Northern BC?^^

I for one only found flint twice so far (in Europe), both times at the coast (once at the French Atlantic coast, once at the Baltic sea coast). But I'm not searching for it on purpose, ofc. There's probably plenty of the stuff inland as well and I just haven't noticed it yet.

Anyway, I have no idea how promising it would be to e.g. walk along the cliffs surrounding pleasant valley in comparison to searching the shore in Coastal Highway or searching inside the various caves. Does somebody have a clue or is willing to help searching a specific area?^^

Can some one post a screen shot of what it looks like laying on the ground? Maybe if we knew what we were looking for we could find it. If it is some non-descript rock fragment then it is no wonder we can't see it. If it looks like a piece of semi-transparent quartz laying in the snow, again it would be really hard to see.

If they have made it so rare that we have to grid out a search pattern to look for it then count me out.

From what I have seen (on various Internet videos), "river" flint, at least in the UK, is often times covered in a "coating" of sorts, called the "cortex", that looks radically different from the flint itself. To the point where the flint "boulder" can look almost exactly the same as a generic rock.

Do you guys mean the firestriker thing? I found it a few plays back; was loving it, then got careless and was wasted by a fluffy. It's a silver metal cylinder with crosshatches. I used it maybe a dozen times and it never degraded. I seem to recall that where it would have had a percentage it said 'none'.

I took a screen of it, but it's on my laptop; I'll dig it up and post a shot...

Archived