STATS!

June

First of all: TLD is the queen of the survival genre! It comes along without excessive shooting or fantasy creatures, just you and the wilderness, nothing more. ♥♥♥

since this beauty is still in developement, i can´t help to make a few wishes here :)

1. Statistics!

wouldn´t it be great to know more than just the hours/days you survived in a session? Like: number of wolfs you killed or amounts of pelts skinned or how many wounds yo treated or the biggest fish you caught?

2. shovels!

everytime i look at the title screen I see this shovel and think: yes! i wanna dig up some stuff. I don´t know how this could fit in here, it just came up my mind ^^

3. cigarrettes

we have coffee, why don´t we have tobacco? :D it could decrease hunger and fatigue, but increase thirst and cold maybe..

just a few thoughts--

keep up the good work hinterland! ♥TLD♥

I like your ideas. The statistics could be issued interestingly in the form of the diary or a board with pins (here already offered), a shovel I would dig out holes refrigerators to store in them row meat on the street (so it wouldn't spoil long), and cigarettes - could warm the player and lighten it mood, but at frequent use to cause problems with health.

Thanks for the suggestions, June! One of the fun things about being a game in Early Access is being able to hear so much feedback and learn about our players. It's a learning experience for everyone =)

Welcome to the forums!

I like your ideas. The statistics could be issued interestingly in the form of the diary or a board with pins (here already offered), a shovel I would dig out holes refrigerators to store in them row meat on the street (so it wouldn't spoil long), and cigarettes - could warm the player and lighten it mood, but at frequent use to cause problems with health.

Cigarettes would be unlikely to be added, since the game is aimed at a lower age range, hence they might not put it in for fear of inciting a riot.

Cigarettes would be unlikely to be added, since the game is aimed at a lower age range, hence they might not put it in for fear of inciting a riot.

Also, why lockpicking even remotely similar to reality will never be implemented in a video game :lol:

Also, why lockpicking even remotely similar to reality will never be implemented in a video game :lol:

:lol:

on second thought, a shovel would be pretty useless too, since the ground must be frozen ^^

1. Statistics!

wouldn´t it be great to know more than just the hours/days you survived in a session? Like: number of wolfs you killed or amounts of pelts skinned or how many wounds yo treated or the biggest fish you caught?

+1 for this

I would love to have the option to see some statistics*, maybe instead of the current survival log. In its current state, the log feels somehow useless to me. At least if you survive for more than 50 days, clicking through all those pages is nothing but tedious. Some concise statistics panel would be much better in my opinion.

*interesting parameters might be: overall distance travelled, food poisonings contracted, wolves&bears killed, items crafted, time starved, etc.

The current log displays the distance you travelled on one particular day. But I would be much more interested to know how many kilometers I have already travelled during the whole game alltogether. ;)

If you survive for five days it's ofc. no big deal to add up the single distances manually, but for a 100day+ run that's not really a viable option.^^

Lockpicking is a nebulous area. It isn't really immoral or dangerous. If you get yourself an official license you can get a job as a lockpicker (or "locksmith" as they prefer to be called). TBH, lockpicking is less of an issue than smoking, and in game smoking doesn't add anything to the game, whereas lockpicking does.

It will be a dark, dark day when TLD will be about increasing and lowering your numbers.

In regards to lockpicking, while the safe mechanic is incredibly dull, teaching kids how to open cheap locks in 5 seconds is not a good idea. Not that they'll get into a military facility anytime soon but the chance of a kid actually lockpicking his friend's cheap locker padlock like he learned in a video game is a massive liability. Not to mention Australia will probably ban the game :roll:

Also, there are places in the world where mere possession presumes intent with no need to prove it. And you never know with people; why take the risk. And to implement lockpicking like other games do would mean you could also use it as a mechanic to remove detritus from your teeth, as it doesn't resemble neither one nor the other :lol:

And I hope TLD will not be about increasing and lowering your numbers.

It's up to the player to decide if they want to focus on 'increasing and lowering' their numbers :)

Personally I don't care what the numbers are, I'd just like to see them out of curiosity. I think counters as suggested would be a great addition.

It will be a dark, dark day when TLD will be about increasing and lowering your numbers.

In regards to lockpicking, while the safe mechanic is incredibly dull, teaching kids how to open cheap locks in 5 seconds is not a good idea. Not that they'll get into a military facility anytime soon but the chance of a kid actually lockpicking his friend's cheap locker padlock like he learned in a video game is a massive liability. Not to mention Australia will probably ban the game :roll:

Also, there are places in the world where mere possession presumes intent with no need to prove it. And you never know with people; why take the risk. And to implement lockpicking like other games do would mean you could also use it as a mechanic to remove detritus from your teeth, as it doesn't resemble neither one nor the other :lol:

And I hope TLD will not be about increasing and lowering your numbers.

The information on how to pick locks is easily available (The internet, go figure). I know how to pick locks (not that I am any good at it). look at Thief, Thief (well, duh, obviously) has a very obvious lockpick mechanic. Skyrim hides how it works behind a pretty UI.

I honestly think no real harm will come from adding lockpicking to the game. The large proportion of players are between 14 and 35 years of age, I reckon, most of those are more likely to google "how to pick a lock" than learn it from TLD.

+1 for stats - especially over-all run statistics. Other interesting things to me would be a home base location (wherever you spend most of your time), secrets found, items crafted.

+1 for shovels. Especially if we get the ability to make a snow shelter. Also, this could introduce an interesting mechanic if some houses needed their doors cleared before they could be opened.

Not a big fan of smoking, but might be interesting, especially if it had a good risk /reward balance.

I would love to see a new item: stethoscope. It has a super low chance of appearing in first aid boxes, or at random. Make it needed to hear the safe tumblers click. Otherwise, the dial just spins, with maybe the slightest of hiccups when the tumbler drops.

I would love to see a new item: stethoscope. It has a super low chance of appearing in first aid boxes, or at random. Make it needed to hear the safe tumblers click. Otherwise, the dial just spins, with maybe the slightest of hiccups when the tumbler drops.

"But you might teach kids how to crack safe combinations!"

No ,seriously, if stethoscopes get added for safecracking, I want lockpicks for opening doors and lockers.

"Ethical problems" should not hold back a valuable gameplay mechanic if the risk is far too low to do any damage.

Lockpicking takes skill, no kid is going to pick it up that easily.

I have no problem with lock picking, but in a survival situation, I have to admit that I would tend towards the prybar approach over the lock pick approach in most situations. I feel like if I'm the last person on earth, I'm going to be way quicker forcing a locker or a door with a bar than I am with lock picks.

I suppose that only scales up so far, as a metal security door with a proper deadbolt is going to keep me out indefinitely if I'm trying to pry it open. However, the game as it is now seems to lean towards the "nothing is locked" mentality, which fits with my perceptions of northern Canada. I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of things that I would rather see than lock picking.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived