Dumb ways to die - What's your story?

MidnightHunter

So I am interested in your funniest or saddest death stories :D

Here's are two of mine:

Well the first one is a very short story. I simply died because I didn't look right and left. Well I wasn't on a highway and ignored a red light or so. No, I hid in a fishing cabin from a wolf and I thought I could catch some fish while waiting to go back home. So after two hours I completely forgot about the wolf and stepped out of the cabin. And yeah, it didn't take the wolf ten seconds to kill me. If I had looked around while stepping out I probably could have saved myself by making a step back. :P Believe me, I never made that mistake again.

The second one is about a girl that couldn't get enough meat. I was outside to harvest a deer I saw the other day. Happily I made my way back with some nice meat and ran into a wolf. Amazing I thought, I could need some more meat! So I shot the wolf with my newly found rifle instead of walking around it and started harvesting.For sure I could carry some more. I didn't want to come back for this stupid wolf. I was encumbered and starting to feel cold and while I harvested a snowstorm came up. With another ton of meat I started to crawl back to my home and completely oversaw the second wolf that suddenly appeared in the storm. Too encumbered to run away I died in the storm with a bag full of nice meat. Just because I wanted too much. It's like you switch from the living room to your room with your laptop, a pillow, a book, a bootle of water and your phone in hands, because you're too lazy to go a second time. You could say I died because I wanted too much, but I say I died, because I was too lazy :P

So what have you gone through? Did something similar happened to you? Please say yes ;)

The dumbest for me would definitely be the end to my first long survival run - I'd looted everywhere in Mystery Lake including the Bunker, moved to Coastal Highway, explored everywhere there, and decided to relocate back to the Camp Office and make it home (this was before Pleasant Valley existed). I had a rifle in good condition, plenty of ammo, good quality clothes, lots of food, and I was ready to hunker down and see just how long I could last.

I'd made multiple runs between the 2 maps along the trellis bridge, ferrying my stuff to Carter's Unstoppable Hydro Dam, ahead of moving it all to the Camp Office, and I had just 1 load left to move. It was day 49, I was just about to hit what was the 50-day survival achievement, and was making my umpteenth and final trip back across the trelliss when suddenly the sky was going upwards very quickly! :shock: I'd somehow slipped off the that one bit of twisted track you walked across, and had just enough time to shout "Noooooo!" before I hit the ground and died. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to one shot a bear at the Farmstead in PV. So I wait for him to wander off a bit. Opened the screen door and stepped outside. I then kneeled down to be at head level and he turned around. I shot him square between the eyes. I then tried to turn around and the world was suddenly in slow motion. I was in some sort of nightmare mode as I attempted to make it through the door before the bear got me but to no avail. The bear mauled me and limped away. Only to kick the bucket and die at my feet. I tried to make it inside as my blood flowed out into the snow but nothing would happen. I could not climb the stairs. I opened my inventory but I had no bandages. I died right there at the front porch just a few feet from salvation. It then hit me... I was crouched!

Oh no :o That's something that could have happened to me as well. That's really bad. On which day were you?

I was around Day 20 to 25 My freezer my full of bear meat already and I had all the tools. I would gather to say I had a cabinet full of water and a cabinet full of food. Probably 15 to 20 units of wood. I wanted one more skin to start on my bedroll to complete my "wrapped in fur" badge. I had explored the central area of PV, the radio tower, the village at the bend and found a bunker. I was doing really freaking well and then did something really freaking stupid :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

using the new placement system, put all my medical supplies neatly organized, went outside, got attacked by a wolf, i was fine, clothing torn but nothing else, i did want his hide however, so i ran after him, i wasnt paying attention to my condition, began to dehydrate, when i finally caught up to the wolf i was at 70%, i killed him, but he cut me, and i bled to death because i forgot those bandages.

I was getting to know the survival bow (that I found in a certain "hidden" location, which was cool) while at the same time struggling with a serious lack of food. I'd started at Desolation Point on Stalker and pretty much exhausted the edibles. I'd killed a couple of wolves (partially in melee because my aim sucks still), but the calories I got from those were pretty much negated by the amount of time I needed to heal and recover from a nasty food poisoning.

I found myself taking shelter in the mine closest to the processing plant after downing another wolf, because a bear was lumbering down the road. After a bit of pondering, I decided to do the unthinkable.. Wait for the bear to come closer and shoot at it with my bow before slipping inside. Well, first arrow missed but also scared the bear away. Encouraged, I started chasing it shooting with my two arrows to my best ability, even drawing blood once. Given how panicked the bear was at this point, I decided to keep up the chase, until.. It came straight at me.

Now, I've gotten kind of used to animals running straight at me when escaping (what's the deal with that?), so thought nothing of it until it became clear the bear was in fact coming for me. I hastily drew my bow but the bear was already on me, mauling me to 7% before lumbering on, still bleeding.

Not wanting to run all the way to the mine (especially since the bear was going that way too), I decided to just lay my bedroll next to the cliffside hoping to get a single hour of sleep, during which the bear would've hopefully bled to death.

Well, you can probably guess how that went.

I feel like an idiot now. I guess the hunger was really affecting my train of thought at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember how bummed out i was when dying after 49 days.

But last time was really dumb, in desolation point. I had survived for about 30 days without rifle or bow.

Nice nice nice, but when i had finally made the bow and a few arrows(and btw had finally found the forge I'd been searching for about a week) so i could make more arrowheads besides the 3 i had scavenged) I became...stupid. After killing the two wolves around the processing plant BY HAND because I went hunting for them, missed, and they caught me, I thought that bear wouldn't mind if I put an arrow in his gut from up close. He was always so slow up to that point.

The End

:roll:

Actually no, not the end. I exited when he was finished with me, health at 4 percent. I've come back and tried several ways to still survive but no. Exited each time just before i would die. Like cryogenics, maybe in the future there will be a way.... :mrgreen:

I was getting to know the survival bow (that I found in a certain "hidden" location, which was cool) while at the same time struggling with a serious lack of food. I'd started at Desolation Point on Stalker and pretty much exhausted the edibles. I'd killed a couple of wolves (partially in melee because my aim sucks still), but the calories I got from those were pretty much negated by the amount of time I needed to heal and recover from a nasty food poisoning.

I found myself taking shelter in the mine closest to the processing plant after downing another wolf, because a bear was lumbering down the road. After a bit of pondering, I decided to do the unthinkable.. Wait for the bear to come closer and shoot at it with my bow before slipping inside. Well, first arrow missed but also scared the bear away. Encouraged, I started chasing it shooting with my two arrows to my best ability, even drawing blood once. Given how panicked the bear was at this point, I decided to keep up the chase, until.. It came straight at me.

Yeah that bear, it looks so huggable and slow right? that was kind of how I last ended too :D

But a survival bow to be found? I never knew. Gives me a whole extra incentive to go to DP again!

I think my favorite was on day 90 or so of survival I decided I would go ahead and find Desolation Point, (still having never been there because I'm now afraid of the place) I was already on the Coastal Townsite, and I knew the direction to travel.

I was wearing all of my best gear, having crafted all new craftable clothing specificly for this trip, carying a complete toolset and about half a liter of water.

I thought to myself I'll find food it will be fine.

As I was passing the last house in the Townsite, it got foggy, but I figured I could follow a road, so long as it's not a blizzard.

Obviously when I finally got into a unknown area, it was a blizzard.

Still survivable, I know the Coastal Townsite fairly well, I could most likely find my way to something, and there is the car at the end of the commuters lament. If I had actually turned back.

Naturally I end up horribly lost in short order, and my gear, being simply dried hide and at best water resistant, is all but falling apart on me.

To skip to the end, if you find a body, frozen to death in a place with few trees on the crumbling highway, carying a complete toolset and rather torn up hand made clothing... you probably found me.

Here's my dumbest death:

• Harvested several rabbit corpses
  • Cooked all but 1 rabbit meat
  • Ate the 1 raw rabbit meat
  • Got food poisoning
  • Went to inventory menu and drank some mushroom tea to heal me
  • Went to sleep for several hours
  • Woke up at 7% health because I did not drink the mushroom tea from the first-aid menu
  • Drank another mushroom tea from first-aid menu
  • Go back to bed for several hours
  • Die anyways from food poisoning

• 2 weeks later...

Archived