Can Anyone Confirm or Deny Maple/Birch Groves in ML?

dasrunt

I'm just as excited as everyone else to craft the bow and a few arrows, but I've yet to find any saplings.

I'm currently in Pleasant Valley and I know precisely where there is a birch grove, so once I loaded up the patch, I immediately bee-lined for that grove. I avoid the wolves on the way and bear who strolls out of the grove, but after that and I was in the grove, I found... nothing. Lots of birch trees, but no saplings. I went back a second time, but no luck. I assume they look like normal birch trees but smaller, and that I'm supposed to click and harvest once I find one. I also tried doing the Forage Wood function while standing the grove, but that didn't work.

Can anyone describe the appearance of the saplings?

Is it fair to assume I should find the saplings near mature trees?

So far, I've only seen mature birch trees and nothing else out of the ordinary. I'm not sure if I've ever seen maple trees in the game, much less saplings. I don't necessarily need the location, I mostly just want to be certain what saplings look like so I don't miss them when I'm out scavenging for them. Thanks!

I am about 35 days in my current Stalker Run, haven't left Mystery Lake yet nor explored the dam in this game. Doing pretty good on supplies, but I am trying to figure out if it's possible for me to craft a bow on this map, or if I'm going to have to leave ML to get a bow built. I figure I could live at least another 15 days on ML before having to branch out, but I would prefer to have a bow before then. I've been looking for Maple/Birch groves but I haven't had any luck on ML itself.

Can anyone confirm that there are Birch/Maple groves on ML?

[spoil]I have found the Birch Grove in the ML-CH transition zone, but I'd rather have a grove I could harvest from in ML. This is the only grove I know of as of right now.[/spoil]

If you want to include a spoiler I.E. Location of groves you've found I won't be mad :D

[spoil]I don't know much about the Birch Grove in PV, but there is one in the CH-ML Transition zone on the ML side, for myself I was able to find a group of three Birch saplings towards the edge of the grove closest to ML. They are about 3-4 feet tall and look pretty much like you'd expect a sapling to look, but are definitely easy to overlook.[/spoil]

Yes, there are both types of saplings can spawn in ML map 8-)

Well damn I guess I am just blind. The one I have found was super easy to spot, but I feel like I've only ever seen one or two birch trees by themselves on ML and certainly no maples. I guess I'll have to keep looking!

Again I'm open to any friendly points in a direction at least :P.

Lol anyone got a screenshot of what these trees look like or something? Another three days in game time searching for nothing, I don't know if I am just not looking for the right kind of maple? I dunno haha.. and I keep seeing birch trees but still no saplings.

So I never found any saplings of any kind on ML that last game, but I died eventually around day 48 so I just started a new game, I'm wondering if it was something related to my previous game having been started in ML prior to the patch? I'm sure I will be able to find some much easier this game.

Why are people having trouble finding saplings? Also, ML has been changed, for example the area around Clearcut is different, a new place for the bunker to spawn, or saplings.

They may not spawn on every map? Is that a thing? Because I restarted at least 15 times to explore and find bugs and I always had saplings in ML. Not always in the same spot, but I never got ML without saplings. Whas I just lucky?

My expedition back into ML was a total bust. I searched the whole map, nearly froze, got attacked by wolves twice, and spent a lot of resources and nothing to show for it in the end. I even checked out the new Ravine area, but nothing. I'm starting to wonder if my save is bugged.

My expedition back into ML was a total bust. I searched the whole map, nearly froze, got attacked by wolves twice, and spent a lot of resources and nothing to show for it in the end. I even checked out the new Ravine area, but nothing. I'm starting to wonder if my save is bugged.

What luck, only if we could make arrow by normal wood, i think it s just fine too.

Hey guys,

first post and new to the forum... so hi :)

I seem to have a problem finding the saplings too.... I have been through all maps and transition zones and nowhere can I find the saplings. Well...nowhere.... I DID find ONE spot with maple saplings in the new transition zone.

However neither the three maps or the old transition zones gave me the saplings.

Now. someone told me to uninstall and re-install the game and re-try (which I did though I had my doubts) and tadaaa.... it didn't do anything for me.

The funny thing is that when I start a new character I seem to be stumbling over the damn saplings since they are all over the place.....

So..... could this have something to do with the code of the game itself or might my "save" have been slightly bugged out?

Any help or tips are much appreciated

Thanks!

Saplings have been a problem for some people. It may be a problem with continuing a saved game in the new patch. But then again, not to offend anybody, CH and PV are big maps, and it's not like you have 20 saplings/map. They can be easily missed and are more out of the way rather then in the middle of places and routes you would normally take.

What I am sure of is my experience. I have proven you are guaranteed to get saplings on every map.

However all my research was done with new games. And I did not lose time walking around from map to map. I just started a new game on a new map instead. So barring a totally weird mechanic like saplings being guaranteed only on the map you spawn in, they are guaranteed on every map.

So, in the case of continuing a saved game, while I have no way to be sure of this, I'd say that if you absolutely can't find saplings in ML (easiest place to search), most likely it's an issue with continuing a saved game from the last patch.

Welcome to the forums.

Ugh, that sucks. I'm fairly committed to my save (100+ days so far) so if old saves aren't getting saplings, I think I might wait until a patch fix before playing much again. Thanks to everyone for their input, screen caps, and tips.

Yeah, that kind of confirms my fears....

I am too continuing on an old save (150+ days) and I ONLY found something in the new map.

Yeah some of the maps are big, but again, with a new save I found them immediately.... and I do grid searches whenever I can so it's hard to miss anything.

Anyway... waiting for the next patch it is then :) Until then Ill just shoot some bears which now kindly walk up to my doorstep :P

Archived