co-ordinates

marcel

When I saw Alpha gameplay I got a idea... when the player found a place - he will see the description where he is - what about make same effect like in Akta X for example - the sound of a typewriter - typing name of place - letter by letter. Could be very attractive.

What do you think folks

I think it might look good for a first playthrough, but for myself I would find it quickly becoming annoying [especially after many sessions].

Right now, there's a very unobtrusive fade-in of each area reached -- which is really necessary not only to maintain the sense of immersion, but also to listen to the surroundings [audio in the game provides vast clues and cues vital to surviving].

It would probably be good in story mode if Will ever needs to leave messages for other characters behind -- but for Sandbox mode, I think typewriter clacking might break the play atmosphere too much (and wouldn't make sense -- who is doing the typing?)

(and wouldn't make sense -- who is doing the typing?)

exactly the same person who writes already complete sentence :P

the sound of a typewriter should be very quiet to avoid annoying feel

thanks for your opinion sir Bill

(and wouldn't make sense -- who is doing the typing?)

exactly the same person who writes already complete sentence :P

*lol* Good Point :lol:

You'll see what I mean once you play for a while though... audio becomes so intense that you're listening for every bird, snapping twig, and especially the dreaded distant howl or (worse yet) a soft growl behind you... You'll find yourself listening very intently to every sound around you as you move around -- the sudden wolf growl is enough to require a change of pants at times in sandbox mode... sudden typewriter clacking might require a trip to the store to buy all new ones.

It took me about 20 minutes to realize birds really like corpses. The wolf growls are terrible and I don't like them.

Coordinates seem like a relatively okay idea but only if you got a piece of paper and then write down everything thats happening. I'd like to see the map be sort of hand drawn by Will as he visits places.

Or maybe he manages to retrieve a map of his current area from his plane and then writes down and circles the areas he visits. That'd be cool

• 2 weeks later...
Re: typing -- could be a neat idea! Thanks for that.

I'm with Bill on this, the sound could be really intrusive in the world of TLD. But if you do incorporate this, I'm sure you'll do it in such a way it won't distract from the experience.

Another thought about typing: who's doing the typing? It's not like Will is carrying a typewriter on his back, is it? Writing would be more appropriate.

Another thought about typing: who's doing the typing? It's not like Will is carrying a typewriter on his back, is it? Writing would be more appropriate.

Hey, now that's not a bad idea... I could see coming across the area for the first time in a run, and hearing something like "lets give this area a name for future reference when I pass through again" and the location name being scribbled on the screen...

OR...

(not for story mode, but just for sandbox mode) do the same as for above -- but then let the user type in their own location name as a reference and have the written text show up. That way each person will find their own personal ways of identifying areas [they've crashed in an area that they don't know to begin with, so would make sense].

Addendum Note: that personal naming for each play through would also be interesting in videos as well -- seeing what people call out and reference... adds some challenge for the next player trying to use those unknown locations as a guide for their own quests too.

If they just hit then a generic name would come up (or perhaps a random name for each location so that's it's not always immediately identifiable where you are -- so you need to also become familiar with the landmarks when you reach a new location each play through run)

Archived