A new mode in between Pilgrim and Voyager

Xantro

Since the beginning I've been playing both first two modes (not interested in Stalker). After a while (I'm up to 120h now, i LLOVE this game!), and this means after dying in several ways, but most of the time slashed by wolf fangs, I decided Pilgrim is my favorite.

Still: I would like you guys to consider to create a level in between.

Voyager is just too hard. Everything you do (exploring, searching for supplies, even hunting) is under constant threat of wolves. I can't enjoy panorama, the wonderful scenarios you guys were able to build, even my walks have to be as short as possibile, for fear of meeting a black-furred killer. Flares sometime don't scare them, rifle is no use if they are already runnning toward you and fightnig them with a knife is not that easy, not at all. As it should be, by the way. But it just happens too often.

On the other hand, in Pilgrim mode you just don't care, you know they'll flee as soon as you show up.

My idea of "a mode in between" is "a Pilgrim mode with a twist". I mean, when you approach a wolf, you should know that you probably will scare it away. Probably. Sometime it can be too hungry to step back; or, if close to certain places, like caves, it can be a mother defending her litter.

I have no idea what the ratio could be (one encounter out of ten? Out of twenty?) but it just shouldn't be "oh, look, a wolf, let's BUH! it away". Sometime, a wolf might attack you.

That means you'll probably never get close to them light-hearthed, but they are not the furried zombies they are in Voyager mode.

I'd like a mod where the wolves and bears are replaced with a lazily animated Shrek that plays a distorted variant of its own themesong the closer he gets. If you manage to kill it with the rifle then he only responds randomly on the map, you can even hear him outside the house and only storms chases him away.

Perhaps that is something destined for the fanmods once the game gets finished? :ugeek:

Just so people understand the true terror of Shrek:

I like the idea. I had mentioned something similar in another post and I still think it's a good idea for a mode selection or change to the pilgrim mode. If you shoot the bears they attack you and adding the occasional wolf that holds it's ground would be a welcome addition. It would add a lot to that mode towards it being the most realistic as well as keeping your tension up when encountering them.

I think they could even set the bear to take interest in you and if you don't move away then it might go after you. Keeping the chances of an out right attack pretty low so it is fairly rare but a possibility when encountering them. Say you happen to turn a corner and there one is right in front of you. It rears up but stands it's ground. As long as you slink away, in most instances, it goes back to doing what it was before you ran across it.

Thinking about it, having that subtle tweak added to the animal interactions in all the difficulty levels would be good. In the harder modes they could run up to you but then not attack and just stand it's ground and be aggressive. If you back away slowly it goes back to what it was doing once you get out of range. It would be rare, but add more atmosphere and tension to the game in all the levels.

I often switch back and forth between Pilgrim and Voyager. The first one is way too easy while the second one gets too annoying with all the wolf attacks. In Pilgrim, I often have so much food that the only challenge in the whole game is to burn as many calories as possible in order to eat everything before it goes bad. I wish the wolves attacked only when trying to steal their food. I just wish there was a reason behind the attacks.

A big factor in determing wether the wolf is going to attack you or not -in this "Pilgrim Plus" mode- should be the presence of raw meat in your backpack. Of course if you smell blood the wolf should be more aggressive.

If you basically act as an appetizer, you are going to be a meal.

(Maybe the dev can add to wolves' picture the drooling. That would tell you this time you ARE in danger. Ok, kidding about this.)

Here's another thread you might find interesting-- A New Difficulty--REALISTIC

Seems to be similar to your request, and there's a lot of discussion and ideas. Of course, calling a mode 'realistic' is fraught with difficulties, but besides that I think this would be a great mode to add :)

In my view, it wouldn't really be between Pilgrim and Voyageur, as much as it would be an alternate to Voyageur--since it would be have more difficult environmental settings (e.g. less loot) to compensate for not having as many aggressive wolves.

I would like to see Pilgrim modified to have more realistic animal reactions, and not be so ridiculously easy with regards to hunger / fatigue / thirst. If that becomes a 4th difficulty mode, or if that entails some tweaks to Pilgrim, I would love to see a mode that is challenging, but not fraught with wolf attacks.

My biggest gripe with Pilgrim is that wolves always run, even when they are eating a fresh kill. And they never attack you, even if you are doing something stupid, like running from them. Combined, this makes Pilgrim mode too easy, and therefore boring (for me), because it removes the challenge.

Archived